5.0 out of 5 stars Re-recorded and sounds fantastic
Laughed my head off when I heard he was re-recording it. I thought, why? It was then I realised it could be quite good. It is a classic piece of music. When I heard the promo I thought it sounded fantastic.
Just bought it today and it sounds fresh and alive. Anyone who liked the original fear not. The music is the same as original but Oldfield has used 90% (he said...
Published on 26 May 2003 by Fleece

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not brilliant
This is an interesting 'remix', which is worth a listen as the music, although fairly similar to the original is played differently enough for it to be fresh. However im not sure that it lives up to the original. I thought that it might have been a jazzed up and more powerful version of tubular bells but instead it is more subtle and probably musically more complex. I...
Published on 5 Jun 2003 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 6 July 2002
Peter G. Dewitt (Suffolk) - See all my reviews
My mum introduced me to Tubular Bells some years ago and have since purchased some other albums of the same artist. I have just purchased a new SACD/DVD player and wanted something to show of my new system. I am no audio expert I just love listening to MUSIC. After reading different reviews on the web about this SACD I was really looking forward to its arrival. (it atcually came 1 day before my new system arrived) Now then, what you all want to know, is it any good? Well I loved it! every part, but here are some parts that stood out most. Every instrument sounds superb, most even sound different (in a good way) which I assume is down to the SACD. The tubular bells ring out like never before, the whole thing is a completely different experience. You are surrounded by sound in a way very different than the surround on DVD titles. Lastly a section I disliked in the past (the growling in part 2) I now enjoy completely, the SACD really does make a difference to the way it feels to me. So if you enjoyed the CD version of Tubular Bells im sure you'll LOVE this new SACD version.
PS hoping for a Incantations SACD (please!) now that would be good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tubular Bells, Magnificant, 23 Nov 2001
By A Customer
The first thing that you will notice is the superb quality of SACD, but without going into detailing the advantages and differances between CD and Super Audio CD, lets just say that the differance is remarkable. The seperation between the channels is superb, and hi frequency details aswell as lower ones are incredibly distinct and could never be heard in any normal CD.
I highly reccomend this SACD, if your just breaking into the realms of SACD, then this is a must, as it will highten you appreciation for the format, and make your purchase of any palyer seem more than worthwile.

4.0 out of 5 stars A rock classic, 3 Mar 2003
This review is from: Tubular Bells (Audio CD)
This massive rock symphony was a great idea and Oldfield pulls it off very well.
The distict , haunting piano opening followed by all sorts of instruments providing a whole 50 minutes worth of tunes may sound daunting and possibly boring, but this work keeps you gripped. theres humour with the Piltdown man, and theres something wierd about the bagpipe passage.
A change of mood for the second half- a more relaxed guitar orientated movement.
Its a touch of genius to end with the sailors hornpipe.
Fantastic revolutiuonary music that hasn't been betterd in its field.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should own a copy!, 18 Oct 2007
This review is from: Tubular Bells (Audio CD)
I've had this album since I was 17 on LP, cassette, eight track stereo! And now recently purchased on CD. I listen to it every day and never tire of it. No one has ever produced an album remotely like this.There is always something different to hear every time you play it.Truly unique and timeless and an amazing achievement for a composer who was so young and unknown when it was first released in 1973. If I could take one thing with me when I die it would be a copy of 'Tubular Bells'...and hopefully something to play it on!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Audio DVD, 13 Jan 2005
I first heard Tubular Bells as a teenager in the seventies and although I heard it many times with friends I never bought it. Later on I bought Tubular Bells II on CD and love it so much I have played it constantly.
I bought some decent kit a few years ago and lately a new high end DVD player. I have a few DVD Audio disks but up until now I wasn't one of the converted.
That is until I bough this DVD recently and was blown away with the depth and detail of this recording. The Dolby Digital tracks are outstanding probably because all the top equipment has been used in the studio to give the best possible results. Each track has been re-recorded and reproduced true to the original recording which makes it even better.
If you have some decent kit at home then give this disk a go - you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best sounding mix of this album I heard so far!, 28 Jan 2005
timbo (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Ummm... I thought, Tubular Bells 1 on SACD?
I had to admit that I was pretty sceptical that this release would sound any better than my other copies of this album on CD that I already have.
I have four copies now on CD, (mastered and remastered from different eras) since the birth of the CD to the more recent remastered HDCD format version.
This release on SACD I'm pleased to say is easily the best version that I have heard to date.
Poor old Tubular Bells 1 never really sounded all that good, (sound quality wise) because all of the overdubs and recording tricks used in the recording process, nearly wearing out the master tape in the process.
I was really struck when I put this disc on my recently bought SACD system, the album sounds really different, (in a nice way)
the clarity and dynamics of the sound are vastly improved to the original.
The multichannels have "freed up" and isolated the instruments in such a way that I have heard many new sounds in the recording that I've never heard before.
It was like listening to the album with a new pair of ears and for the very first time all over again!
There are some strange happenings in the recording though, as some instruments, vocal bits and harmonies are not as prominent in places like the original stereo mix, especially noticeable in "The Piltdown Man" section. (I think it's better now!)
In some places on the album, instruments and vocals seem to have been faded out quite suddenly, whilst they appeared to hang on a little longer and were mixed out less suddenly on the original stereo mix?
The nasal cowboy saloon bit in part one seems to be slightly longer than the original as well, which is good!
As for part 2, I really like it now.
I always used to pass part 2 over, because some of the piano parts seemed to sound disjointed and out of tune on the original mix, but I'm pleased to say that part 2 on this release sounds just right! Another bonus!
Another reviewer mentioned the Sailors Hornpipe.
Yes, it is another version to the original, but I thought the "buggered if I know" dialogue by Vivian Stanshaw "the master of ceremonies on the finale" on Part 1 was quite funny and a nice touch. Besides, when his dialogue and faint "marching" version of Hornpipe finishes you get an uninterrupted reprise of the Sailors Hornpipe anyway..
If you have an SACD system and like Mike Oldfield's first masterpiece, get this disc. You won't be dissapointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing subtle about this one!, 15 Feb 2004
Peter Trebilcock (Salisbury) - See all my reviews
Liked the original Tubular Bells? Want to hear what can be done with 5.1? Buy this!
Thirty years after the original, Mike Oldfield has gone back to the beginning and re-recorded Tubular Bells. The result is an absolute stunner of a DVD-A. This recording puts all other surround mixes (including the SACD of The Dark Side of the Moon) to shame. The recording is clean and crisp. Full use is made of the system's capablities. Sitting in the middle of this is an experience not to be missed, and one you'll want to repeat time and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music with fantastic sound quality., 27 Sep 2006
DSR (out beyond the sticks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Tubular Bells (Audio CD)
This release was groundbreaking for many reasons and I'm sure Virgin Records owe their success to this album. There's an innocent charm to the compositions, although excessive exposure spoiled my enjoyment for many years, having used it as a "demo" disc many times over the seventies and early eighties.

I was saddened that the original CD sounded so muffled, as I remember - CD promised so much in the early days and didn't always deliver for various reasons. Those days are thankfully long behind us and THIS release realises, for me, how good the original recording could be in its stereo version.

There's a clarity here that really helps you to delve into the mix and discover elements that were all but inaudible in the original LP and CD versions. The early "Quad" mixes on the boxed set were good too, but sufficiently different that they were almost different pieces of music to me... My CD player is good, but quite conventional - no HDCD or the dreaded sacharin sweet SACD here... and the sound is perfectly good without all the latest commercial "tricks".... It seems one of the original production team did the remastering for this release, so hopefully, what we're hearing now is about as good as the original mix gets.

I must admit I'm getting really confused with the large number of *versions* of this album available as of 2006... I think that it's now time for both Mr Oldfield and the record companies to leave alone and move on - PLEASE!

RECOMMENDED as the definitive mastering of the original mix! If it's not in your collection, at this price you can't go wrong.

4.0 out of 5 stars A unique recording lovingly remastered, 7 Jan 2002
S. L. Carswell (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tubular Bells (Audio CD)
Tubular Bells should have failed. Oldfield had never recorded an album before. Tom Newman and Simon Heyworth had never produced an album before. Richard Branson had never released an album before. That the endevour succeeded at all is incredible. The fact that it has now sold more than 15,000,000 copies and been remastered speaks volumes about its endurence.
You cannot deny the majesty of the music. From the opening piano motif it grips the listener. The first part, some 20 minutes or so, contains everything from haunting layers of shimmering chords to out and out rock, never staying with one theme or idea long enough for it to become repetitive. It ends with a fine repeating tune, MC'd by Viv Stanshall, late of the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
Part 2 is more difficult to get into, but no less rewarding, beginning as it does with an incredibly hypnotic guitar figure which gradually expands into a fully fledged Highland tattoo-like tune (complete with "Guitars sounding like bagpipes"!) From there it explodes into the brilliant, if slightly odd, Piltdown Man sequence, where Oldfield grunts and howls caveman-like into the microphone. The ending is the only place it really falls down, with the forever gruelling Sailer's Hornpipe feeling tacked on.
One of the things I had forgotten about this record is how amateurish it all feels. Although Oldfield plays most of the instruments himself, he doesn't really appear particuarly adept at any of them. Occasional fluffs and mistimed notes abound (just listen to the Timpani behind the "Bagpipes" section - it's unbelievable!) Still, for me this just increases the charm of the record - like an old friend whose quirks you are willing to live with.
So, a great record, deserved of its place in history and a place on every music enthusiast's shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well worth listening investment. . ., 3 Jun 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Tubular Bells (Audio CD)
I think Tubular Bells has to be the most courageous piece of music I have heard. This is simply and innocently brilliant from its beginning with a haunting piano intro that remains as fresh sounding now as it did 30 years ago. Each section is beautifuly dove-tailed into the next and the listener is gripped with unexpected changes in the music; it asks questions. It captures the imagination and communicates a variety of emotions whilst continuing to return to its original theme.
There is something unmistakably English about Tubular Bells, whether it is the album cover, Viv Stanshall or the the thick vinyl of the record itself (with its scratches) I don't know. Either way, for someone of just 17 to have written this is mind boggling.
I very much look forward to him doing the remake in 2003.

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

Tubular Bells
Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield (Audio CD - 2000)