Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 September 2000
I looked forward to the release of this CD for months and when the day finally arrived I was down the shops faster than a pedigree whippet that has been nourished on prime steaks with lashings of bisto. However, my initial reaction was one of extreme disapointment and it took me a good few weeks before the songs suddenly clicked inside my bonce and most of the disapointment was vanquished. I am now able to give a balanced opinion on Motorhead's 25th aniversary release and it carries on the traditions of great Motorhead albums in the past 15 years. Once again Phil Campbell wields the axe with furious aplomb while Mikkey Dee remorselessly batters the skins into whimpering submission. Then of course there is the great man himself, Lemmy. At 54 years young, the warted god shows no signs of fatigue and in the ballad "One more f***king time", his lyrics are some of his most eloquent. The title track is another instant classic and is a sort of self tribute in the style of "The ace of spades". Out of the ten tracks on the album, I would say that only "See me burning" and "Slow dance" fail to hit the mark. I know that a lot of yanks and continentals like these tracks but I don't. I find these songs much too lyrically weak for a god like Lemmy to put on an album and the fact that thy are the first two songs on the album is probably the reason that I initially thought the album was poor. I always think that a great couple of opening tracks sets up an album splendidly. If you are looking for an album to introduce you to Motorhead, you could do a lot worse than this but I would advise either 1916 or Overnight Sensation as these are arguably Motorhead's finest pieces of work. We are Motorhead is in my opinion not as good lyrically as previous albums but is definately a good album despite my misgivings about the first two tracks. Anyway, why don't you get off your backside and buy it, judge for yourself.
VINE VOICEon 23 September 2007
This was the first Motorhead album I ever purchased, so it may account to why I am so partial to it, but despite having since purchased several others 'We Are Motorhead' remains my favourite of the bands albums. A drum roll kicks off the frenzied riffing of 'See Me Burning' and the intensity of the album doesn't really lay off until the final title track (with it's cheeky re-use of 'Ace of Spades' riff) is over. For (let's face it) an aging band Motorhead sound full of energy, and every one of the songs manages to combine distorted extremity with some catchy hooks and choruses. Most of the tracks are pacy numbers, but 'Slow Dance' and 'Wake The Dead' break things up by being slower heavier tunes. There's even a mid-album ballad with 'One More F#cking Time', but don't let the sound of that put you off, as this is still a great song. If there is a weak moment on the album it's the cover of 'God Save The Queen' - it's not awful, but it's inferior to the Sex Pistols original version, Lemmy mangles the lyrics, and it all seems a little pointless - but this one slightly sub-par moment can't stop this being an immense album. Essential to all fans of extreme and heavy music.
on 14 May 2015
If I remember correctly, this album got the coveted Kerrang! 'Album Of The Year' accolade for 2000(?), if so, none can really argue. While a lot of rock fans have dismissed Motorhead even as far back as 1980's 'Ace Of Spades' (their pinnacle to many) a lot of us more sensible people have stuck to the band like glue and have 9 times out of 10 been rewarded with fantastic albums - this one being towards the top of those 9, and (in my opinion) up there with the very best of Motorhead albums, breaking into my Top 5.
Every one of the 10 tracks are classics, instantly memorable and catchy. From the opening heavy barrage of the sleazy 'See Me Burning' all the way to the 'Ace Of Spades' sampling closing title track, Motorhead are filled with more bile, aggression, attitude and sheer class than many bands a third of their age! There are also some well-executed ventures into Dropped Tuning territory on the sledgehammer riffage of 'Slow Dance,' and its tailgunner 'Stay Out Of Jail' that blend in seamlessly without making it an issue - they sound great! All songs are rockers apart from the distortedly melancholic 'One More F****** Time.' Many have complained about the cover of the Sex Pistols' 'God Save The Queen' but I really do not see what the issue is. If anything, it should be praised as a superior version - it has Lemmy on it people!!!
The production is flawless as always, and all three members can be heard clearly and are well mixed.
The artwork is again a classic cover, and is a nod to all the bands that have followed, imitated or been inspired by this great band.
on 8 November 2000
Motorhead are still great after 25 years I looked forward to the release of this CD for months and when the day finally arrived I was down the shops faster than a pedigree whippet that has been nourished on prime steaks with lashings of bisto. However, my initial reaction was one of extreme disapointment and it took me a good few weeks before the songs suddenly clicked inside my bonce and most of the disapointment was vanquished. I am now able to give a balanced opinion on Motorhead's 25th aniversary release and it carries on the traditions of great Motorhead albums in the past 15 years. Once again Phil Campbell wields the axe with furious aplomb while Mikkey Dee remorselessly batters the skins into whimpering submission. Then of course there is the great man himself, Lemmy. At 54 years young, the warted god shows no signs of fatigue and in the ballad "One more f***king time", his lyrics are some of his most eloquent. The title track is another instant classic and is a sort of self tribute in the style of "The ace of spades". Out of the ten tracks on the album, I would say that only "See me burning" and "Slow dance" fail to hit the mark. I know that a lot of yanks and continentals like these tracks but I don't. I find these songs much too lyrically weak for a god like Lemmy to put on an album and the fact that they are the first two songs on the album is probably the reason that I initially thought the album was poor. I always think that a great couple of opening tracks sets up an album splendidly. If you are looking for an album to introduce you to Motorhead, you could do a lot worse than this but I would advise either 1916 or Overnight Sensation as these are arguably Motorhead's finest pieces of work. We are Motorhead is in my opinion not as good lyrically as previous albums but is definately a good album despite my misgivings about the first two tracks. Anyway, why don't you get off your backside and buy it, judge for yourself.
on 7 April 2016
This must be the 3rd time I've bought this after previous copies 'borrowed' and not returned but push comes to shove and my flat burns (fingers crossed, cos I could do with the insurance) and I could grab only a handful of Motorhead CDs, then this still would be one of them. After a few inconsistent albums in the 90s (step forward 'Snake Bite Love' in particular) 'We Are Motorhead' is a joy from start to finish and equals, if not surpasses on some tracks, the band's early 80s work. Musicianship and playing as solid as ever (check out Mikkey Dee's skin pounding on the opening track in particular), Lemmy's lyrics are by turns inspiring, insightful, funny ("Come on over later, bring your sister. I swear to you she won't be in the way" indeed!!) and on "One More F***ing Time" genuinely quite moving. Still no idea why they bothered with the Pistol's cover though!
on 17 January 2013
Another great album, like always. Never get tired from listening to Motorhead, which record it will be.
They never get old and still know how to do rock n' roll, Lemmy is a god we all know.
There are great songs like 'Stagefright', 'Out to Lunch', 'See Me Burning' and of course the anthem 'We Are Motorhead'
Any fan should own this album, like i did. I am Motrhead, I have all Motorhead studio albums so get your copy now. Enjoy!
on 28 April 2014
This is a severely under-rated album. For me, all great bands possessed great specialist musicians, great songwriters and s talented production team. The net effect is a synergistic '2 + 3 = 5'. Mikkey Dee is a dynamic and intense drummer and Ponty boy, Phil Campbell, is an ace guitarist, while Lemmy is simply a unique individual. All great tracks but 'Slow dance' is my favourite TODAY.
on 1 November 2015
Another brick of Motorhead story.About your delivery,everythink perfect.
See you
Ciao
on 8 November 2014
Nice boxed edition of Motorhead brand call " We are Motorhead " Worraggh !!!!!!
on 17 August 2014
Solid motorhead album with "we are motorhead" as a highlight.