on 14 July 2007
Although this is Sonata Arctica's first album it's the fourth of theirs I've actually purchased and listened too.

It's potent, inspiring and uplifting. The album cracks along at a frantic pace though there are quieter moments and it never gets too heavy or discordant. There are plenty of guitar solos which easily give Gilmour a run for his money.

Stand out tracks for me are "Full Moon" and the ballad "Letter to Dana". The final track "Destruction Preventer" moves between sections of almost poetic beauty to full on riffs.

I kind of found my way into Power Metal after hearing Nightwish and the experience just gets better the more I explore. Sonata Arctica are probably up there as my favourite band in the genre, along with Nightwish and Within Temptation. Heavier than Edenbridge but certainly more accessible than Therion, even if you're not a fan of Power Metal or Heavy Rock this is well worth a try.
VINE VOICEon 28 December 2007
If you're a fan of SA but have never heard this their first CD, buy it now, because they really did hit the ground running with Ecliptica. For me it is one of their best albums. A shame that like many bands, line-ups change and only Tony and Tommy survive today, but this is unmistakably Sonata Arctica and Jani only left after Unia.

Maybe not as consistent as later albums, but songs like Replica and FullMoon will always be heard live and on compilations. Some of their best tracks to date are here on Ecliptica.

If you've never heard of SA this is an OK place to start, at the beginning. Power Metal with lots of melody and theatrics, a bit like Queen speeded up. Early SA has been likened to Stratovarius who were definitely an influence, but there is no band really which can match them, they are pretty much unique.
on 27 December 2010
I recently downloaded this album, and it is the first album I own by this band. I decided to give them a try because I am a fan of power metal and kept seeing their name crop up. This was the best introduction to the band I could have hoped for. It really is power metal at its best. Every song leaves its mark, with strong (if somewhat cheesy) choruses, great melodies, and screeching "power" vocals, it is a joy to listen to. It actually sounds very much like it was made in the '80's, but in a good way. The band have really hit the mark with this album, and I would suggest anyone who has the slightest interest in power metal to give it a try. It really does say something when you can't find fault in any one of the tracks on the whole album!
on 29 September 2015
Power metal has always been the ginger-haired stepchild of heavy metal. It's cheesy. It's repetitive. And sometimes it's Sonata Arctica, in which case, it kicks ass!

Sonata Arctica's debut album burst onto the scene with such gusto and youthful enthusiasm, it's hard not to like it. There's fast-paced neoclassical speed metal guitar shredding, and lots of cheesy 90's keyboard harpsichord sounds. The lyrics focus on the usual themes of fantasy, love, kingdoms and over nonsensical topics we're not really bothered about, because it comes with the territory, and above all else though, it really is 100% cheese, and that's what we love about the genre!

I first came across this band when I heard 'Replica' on a compilation CD. I loved it! I was completely blown away by how awesome this band sounded and to this day, that is still one of my favourite songs (and I still have no idea what it's about, either). I rushed out to get 'Ecliptica' and was not disappointed. 'Kingdom for a Heart', 'Full Moon', 'Letter to Dana', 'Mary Lou' and 'Picturing the Past' are all fine examples of why power metal should never be so easily dismissed. Oh, and 'Replica' too!!!. This album is worth it for that song alone.

I've been stuck for ages writing this review, struggling to think of anything clever or witty to say. The truth is, this is a typical power metal album, and if you're not a fan of the genre, you won't notice any difference here between Sonata Arctica and any other band. But there's just some sort of charm about this record that makes it fresh and exciting, and definitely worth trying out.

Like my review? Please check out my Facebook page @ facebook.com/martindavey87
on 24 June 2005
Lets face it, if you're looking at this cd, then you most likely are a fan of Power Metal, or at very least Metal in general. Well let me be the first to tell you that Sonata Arctica are a fantastic band, and this cd is, in my opinion, the epitome of their brilliance.
This cd has a rip roaring entry with *Blank File*, this is one of the only times ove ever put a cd on, and not been back at my chair by time the music has gotten into full flow, and of course my head is banging like something no quite right. From then on the album just gets better, with the softer side of SA coming through on tracks like *Replica* and *Letter to Dana*.
This album also contains one of SA's best and best known songs, *Full Moon* a fantastic song and the first SA i ever heard, its its a lightning fast melee of guitars, drums and one relatively small Finn singing his heart out. A true masterpiece, if nothing else find this track.
This album shows the extremely skilled technical billiance and high energy which is emblematic of the the whole power metal movement, and belongs to all, but is championed by fewer better than SA.
I would recommend this cd wholeheartedly to any fan of metal and especially to power metal fans. It is simply brilliant.
on 13 May 2006
This album has everything- slow songs, fast songs and epic songs. The vocals are amazing and really fit the music- extremely fast guitars (beating I think Children of Bodom) and great drums.

Best songs are- My Land (amazing guitars, extremely catchy!), Replica (slow song), Kingdom for A Heart (fast song), Fullmoon (a Sonata Arctica classic slow song), Letter To Dana (with the lovely flute) and Picturing the Past (ripping guitars, finishing the album very well, unless you have the *bonus track which finishes the album in a great big tune with a great guitar solo). Basically all the songs are great and are different- some using alot of background keyboard effects and some making the keyboard the melody. Something slow paced guitars, others fast solos. The keyboards and guitars work together beautifully, sometimes I cant tell the difference between them.

This band is not like Dragonforce or Children of Bodom, but a more melodic and catchy band which uses the keyboard to great advantages!

BUY THIS if your a Sonata Arctica fan or just a metal fan. This album will get you into power metal and into melodic metal.
on 21 June 2011
This is the 1st Album, i heard, by this Band, and loved it, straight away. i av purchased some of their other Albums, but i can't get in to them, they just don't seem to have the same sound. Well worth Buying, is awesome. I'm not a power metal fan, but this 1 gets my vote.
on 17 October 2000
Wow! this is the ultimate power metal experiance.....another of the finnish melodious rock bands along with Stratovarius & Nightwish.
on 16 November 2011
Discovered SA about 6 months ago. If you love 80s rock and have been unable to find an update this is it. Yes it's harder, but the melodies are still there and more importantly it's thought provoking music. If you are new to the music I would recommend Day of Reckoning as a starting point, not because it's necessarily the best album, but because it's the most accessible.
on 30 March 2000
This newly started finnish metal-band is some of the best music I have heard.. It's heavy, fast and melodious. Excellent!