5.0 out of 5 stars Come back Prog all is forgiven!
Published on 12 July 2001 by S. Ralph

3.0 out of 5 stars Eclipsed by Stupid Dream and Recordings.
I just received this item from the PT Store because it included a limited edition disc incorporating the songs "Novak" and a previously unreleased instrumental version of "Buying New Soul".

Lightbulb Sun is one of three albums by PT that was deleted for some time. The other two albums are "Stupid Dream" which has now been released and "Recordings" which will be...
Published on 12 April 2008 by PalominBeaut

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Come back Prog all is forgiven!, 12 July 2001
S. Ralph "Ecogael" (Scottish Highlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lightbulb Sun (Audio CD)
At the moment I can't listen to anything else! I bought this a few weeks ago and it has hardly been put back in its cover. Favourite tracks are Shesmovedon and Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth and The Rest Will Flow. wonderful guitar breaks, (esp Shesmovedon) subliminal stuff! come back prog all is forgiven. I think Richard Barbieri used to be in Japan back in the 80s, this is evident in the atmospheric bits. I have to say I'm not so keen on Russia on Ice but maybe just haven't listened to it as much as the other tracks yet. to sum up: trippy guitar solos, melancholic atmosphere but somehow incredibly uplifting too!

4.0 out of 5 stars I hate one line summarys, 2 May 2001
This review is from: Lightbulb Sun (Audio CD)
I picked up this CD after getting the new Opeth work "Blackwater Park". Steve Wilson produced and did some vocals, guitars and piano for that excellent disc so I decided to give them a listen, this "Lighbulb Sun" being the only one at hand, I must say I was not at all dissapointed. Thankfully im not a Prog purist and can appreciate the music for what it is and not what the band was. This is a work of immense beauty with it's immaculatly crafted song writing and pop sensibilities. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes music in general, listen to songs such as "Shesmovedon","Hate Song",and "Russia on Ice" and you will see what I mean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best work, 26 Nov 2004
T. Parker "thenuttysquirrel" (Cheltenham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lightbulb Sun (Audio CD)
Probably my favourite Porcupine Tree recording, although Stupid Dream runs it a close second, this album is packed full of memorable songs. The opener (Lightbulb Sun) has a superb guitar riff and a top guitar solo from Stevie W Esquire, which really sets the tone for the whole piece. Four Chords That Made A Million is a good bit of fun-poking at the pop industry, and Rest Will Flow is a lovely piece of upbeat music (a rarity with PT). Other favourites of mine are the raw emotional Feel So Low and the awesome Russia On Ice - half a song and half a hulking heavy instrumental that proves Chris Maitland is the best drummer in the history of the universe (I didn't like it at first though, so give it time).
However, easily the highlight of the album is Shesmovedon, worth the price alone. It has everything - meaninful lyrics, excellent chorus with haunting harmony, and a top piece of guitaring to cap it all. Buy this album and you certainly won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The end of an era for the band, 15 April 2008
Dr. D. B. Sillars - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Lightbulb Sun (Audio CD)
This is the last studio album from the Porcupine Tree back catalogue to receive the remastering treatment by Steven Wilson and can be seen as the end of an era for the band. It was to be drummer Chris Maitlands final album, replaced by Gavin Harrison for 2002's "In Absentia" which also introduced a much heavier, metal-influenced style. Released a year after "Stupid Dream" which for me was a certain creative peak for the band, "Lightbulb Sun" was slightly overshadowed by its predecessor. With this new issue, it is clear that the material was still strong, but maybe not the progression we had always come to expect from the band. Maybe that was why Steven Wilson took the band on such a radical journey for the next instalment.

Favourites are the epic "Russia on Ice", with Richard Barbieri's beautiful electric piano introduction, the apocalyptic "Last Chance...." and the sad "Feel So Low". Even what is regarded as Wilson's bid for commercial glory, "Four Chords That Made a Million" sounds mighty strong on this remix. Yes, the album has been remixed as the CD is a mix down from the surround version, available on the DVDA disc included in this 2 disc package. This stereo mix does sound very good indeed, with Colin Edwin's bass sounding more prominent than on the original mix. In fact every instrument has been given room to breathe!

There are no extras on the CD disc, but additional bonus tracks, including the original 2000 stereo mix available on the DVD. If you only have access to a CD player then you may feel a bit short changed. The bonus tracks are excellent, especially the wonderful "Buying New Soul". These bonus tracks were originally released on the limited edition "Recordings" album, which I believe is also being remastered for release this year, so CD only listeners can hopefully obtain those tracks then.

The packaging is quite classy. Both discs are housed in the new super jewel box with a cardboard slip cover. The booklet has been updated and shows a slightly modified version of John Foxx's original design. Overall a very worthwhile upgrade, though I do question including bonus tracks as DVD only items, which Steven Wilson seems to like doing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great New Acquaintance, 24 Aug 2001
Bjorn Clasen (Rollengergronn, Luxembourg, Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lightbulb Sun (Audio CD)
Finally some decent, well-arranged, artistic rock. The band name is Porcupine Tree, and 'Lightbulb Sun' is truly one of the best albums released these last years.
The top track of the album is the 13 minutes masterpiece 'Russia On Ice'. An amazing composition which might be regarded as the 'Bohemian Rhapsody' of our time.
The singles 'Four Chords That Made A Million' and 'Shesmovedon' as well as 'Feel So Low' are among the other songs which contribute to the greatness of 'Lightbulb Sun', different however they are.
Whereas the former is genuine rock put under an electronic coating, the two latter are beautifully arranged and softly sung rock ballads. Adore the chorus on 'Shesmovedon', admire the crispy guitar on 'Feel So Low'. You won't find much better.
Porcupine Tree is something you HAVE to give a try, it's as simple as that.

5.0 out of 5 stars First time I heard PT, but not the last...., 23 Oct 2001
This review is from: Lightbulb Sun (Audio CD)
I bought this CD after a friend exposed me to the wonderfully odd "Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It IS Recycled" and can I say this track was just the tip of the iceberg. "Lightbulb sun" is a rare monster sandwich of an album, packed full of haunting guitar and odd sci-fi noises. I can honestly say I have never really heard anything like this on earth before. From beginning to end this album is simply gorgeous, there are no other words to describe it. And it is well worth getting the special edition as the video for "Piano Lessons" is hillarious and the featured songs on the bonus CD are simply magic. In particular I recommend the "Mission Impossible on Speed" type tune, "Tinto Brass". Well enough from me, I'm off to buy Porcupine Tree's "Coma Divine". Why don't you kick off your PT collection (or add to it) with this wonderful musical journey of dark and light. Bon apetit.
Subliminal Message: BUY POCUPINE TREE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it in 5:1 Surround Sound!, 8 Mar 2008
N. Kurn (Woking, Surrey, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lightbulb Sun (Audio CD)
"No such thing as a bad PT album". C. Porter sums up my opinion of Porcupine Tree in a single short sentence, which is amazing since I had never heard of the band or Steven Wilson before two or three years ago.

This gem of an album has been remastered and is about to be re-released as a double-disk set: A CD and a bonus DVD-A containing the album in 5:1 Surround Sound, which promises to be as spectacular as all the other multi-channel PT albums. Pre-order via the band's web site for 14.80 including postage. (I don't work for them - I'm just spreading the word!)

4.0 out of 5 stars No such thing as a bad PT album, 4 Nov 2007
C. Porter (Worcester, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Lightbulb Sun (Audio CD)
This was my second encounter with Porcupine Tree, and it's a worthy successor to Stupid Dream.

The two are very close in sound, although I think the production here is slightly more clinical, with separation and definition being nothing short of extraordinary.

It's an album that makes you wonder at Steven Wilson's mindset. If the lyrical matter is autobiographical (and I have no idea if it is or not), then he's clearly had an eventful and possibly difficult time. In which case hats off.

If it's purely invented, then he has a terrific imagination, and hats off again!

Poetic phrases like "sickly pink liquid" (Lightbulb Sun) seem to stick in your mind in a disconcerting way...

Then we hit "Four Chords That Made A Million", and the perceived bitterness that I feel appeared on Stupid Dream is back. Bearing in mind that we seem to swim in fantastical aural soundscapes and imaginations in most of PT's output, it is really weird to have this utterly contemporary song amongst it all - and I'm not 100% sure of the target. Is it the music industry? Four chord power trios? (That's only one more than Status Quo, lest we forget!) Or the record-buying public, as they were the ones spending the million?

Whatever, it's a minor blip. And something different from the rest of the album, and the quasi-Eastern stylings are all good, too.

Then we get awesome workouts like "Hatesong" and "Russia On Ice" to remind us of the instrumental virtuosity going on.

And some pretty straightforward poppier stuff, too - in the shape of "Shesmovedon" and "The Rest Will Flow".

So it's a mixed bag of styles and tones, but undeniably PT, and still fantastic.

Looks like it's hard to get hold of currently, but do try and get it, you won't be disappointed.

I don't consider it to be a sell-out, just an exploration of the next phase....

And there was In Absentia to come....

4.0 out of 5 stars A good followup to Stupid Dreams, 28 Nov 2002
K. Rowbottom - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lightbulb Sun (Audio CD)
What can i say about this band.At first there were many instrumentals on there albums (something which i do not mind) but now they seem to be heading into more commercial ground.They still throw in 1 or 2 instrumentals but ther songs have become shorter and more mainstream.They have managed to do this rather well,their songs are superb and they still maintain their identity.
Although they have become slighty more commercial they stiil retain a progressive edge which will appeal to people who enjoy this genre.To conclude this is a more direct album with many great songs which will appeal to the band followers and attract the attention of others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album from an amazing band, 22 July 2000
This review is from: Lightbulb Sun (Audio CD)
I was fortunate enough to see Porcupine tree in London as support for Sonic Youth, their music just blew me away, the best live band i've seen since Camel. I bought Lightbulb Sun the day after the concert and have played it constantly since then. I would also recommend Stupid Dream as an excellent album. Favourite tracks on Lightbulb Sun; title track and She's moved on.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Lightbulb Sun
Lightbulb Sun by Porcupine Tree (Audio CD - 2000)