5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best!
Published on 12 Sep 2006 by Alan Burridge

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but dont expect too much
I was really looking forward to seeing this DVD, but i have to say i am a little bit disappointed with it.
The cameras really are jumping about, I would much rather be able to see them playing as there is a lot of zooming, out of focus shots. Even shots of some people in the crowd standing around a fire not paying any attention to the concert.
A lot of the...
Published on 20 Feb 2003 by antshodan

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best!, 12 Sep 2006
Alan Burridge (Poole,, Dorset. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Who - Live At The Isle Of Wight Festival 1970 [DVD] (DVD)
Considering this Isle of Wight Festival was something of a shambles, (Ref: BBC2 documentary 'Sink the Island,' broadcast in 2001), it's a miracle any band's played. With Fiery Creations boss, Ricky Farr, then in his infancy at staging such an event, and Mick Farren, (then of It magazine), and friends doing everything possible to turn it into a free festival, (they believed it should be because how can an outdoor event have tickets when the crowd could sit beyond the fenced perimeter and listen for nothing), it was indeed a miracle.

But this excellent DVD has captured The Who at perhaps the best point in their career, and one of those 'must buys' for just about any rock fan. Marred only by 'Magic Bus' cut in as the 10th song when it actually should have been the last, (as Pete Townshend begins guitar demolition, which abruptly stops, then moves to the next song), the balance is masterful. Just a pity the person / people editing such filmed performances don't leave the running order alone; every band's set builds to a peak, and to have it placed somewhere else just isn't cricket! But that gripe ignored this is an excellent buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Who (including Keith Moon) play UK's biggest festival., 13 Nov 2000
12stringbassist "....." (NorthWest, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
A fitting visual testament to the absolute power of a unique British band forever dogged by an overwhelming sense of their own history.
From the very moment they open with Entwistle's "Heaven and Hell", through their ritual demolition of "I can't Explain", "Young man blues", a lot of "Tommy" and other crowd - pleasers such as "Magic bus", "Summertime blues" and "My generation", the band ROAR to frequent, repeated musical climaxes in a way that only The Who can. For those of us too young to have been there, this release is an absolute blessing.
Roger Daltrey's voice (and microphone twirling) are at a peak, so is Townshend's guitar playing amd Moon's (kit-thrown-down-the-stairs)drumming. John Entwistle - the REAL lead guitarist with The Who shines throughout.
On this release, the original line-up of the band slay 600,000 people, plus all of us TV viewers, in an utterly mesmerising performance that cannot be recommended too highly.
All you musicians out there who think you are really something will be humbled by this! Buy it and learn. This band has - and continues to - influence the world

4.0 out of 5 stars great...but, 1 May 2003
70s "arrow" (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I love the Who live, what a band! This, although hampered slightly by the typical unweidiness of the period cameras and probably due to limited room on the stage is a chance to see Moony playing drums like only he could. The Who play well, perhaps Rogers voice could be a little better, but everyone is firing on all four cylinders. I would certainly recommend this dvd to Who (and music) fans everwhere.
Now the ...but. Why, oh why do concert film producers think that the original playing order should be changed? Do they think that the Who didnt know what order to play stuff? The producers of "Live at Leeds" cd did the same. The Who didnt play Tommy last, the last thing they played at IOW was Magic Bus. So why change it? They will be having the shark die at the beginning of Jaws next, PAH

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 24 Feb 2007
D. L. Titchmarsh (UK) - See all my reviews
Wether you like The Who or not I guarentee you this DVD will make you wish you could go back in time and be there, it just builds and builds making you feel like you missed something special.

It left me feeling like the studio albums of The Who were almost a playdown of their true talent, imagine for one minute a group known for trying radical live music comes together just for one night in a way that was probably as surprising to them as the audience then just relaxing and playing the best live music you could wish for!

Well buy this and you'll soon realise why Keith Moon and John Entwhistle were so special.

Basicly if you see this DVD you will know what's missing from every live performance since 1970.

WOW

A magic concert that will never be repeated in my opinion, almost makes it impossible to see The Who live now as dissapointment is the only feeling you'll get.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Who Rock the Isle of Wight, 3 Sep 2004
A definate must by. The Who invented the live performance with wonderful concerts like this. The energy they all show on stage plus the greatness of tommy and the less well known stuff make this a thrill to watch. Best Music DVD I have ever watched in my life from the best band i've ever heard. Pure good old fashioned rocking!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but dont expect too much, 20 Feb 2003
A lot of the camera angles are from BEHIND the band, so you cant see their faces.
A DVD like the who at the royal albert hall would be a much better purchase. Windmilling is down to a minimum, and the Whos general stage presence isnt as amazing their standard.
Thats not to say its a bad DVD, its just a little shoddy.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this...but..., 24 Mar 2009
Ruth "Whochick67" (Derbyshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I adore The Who and I do love this DVD. As with other reviewers here, however, I do take issue with the appalling editing of the film. Also, I'm sure that Murray Lerner must have filmed the whole concert, so can we please now have the whole thing, in order? I LOVE "Sparks" and would love to see them play that at the Isle of Wight, as it is incendiary on the CD.

I missed this gig the first time around (what with being only 3 at the time!) and the CD of it is utterly awesome, so PLEASE can we have it all on DVD? I could never tire of watching them play together back then, though, and this is probably the wrong thing to say, I could watch Keith all day. In fact, as long as I had the rest of the sound going on, I'd be happy if the camera didn't move from him - utterly mesmerising.

His death had such an impact on me, despite the fact that I was only 11 at the time, and I continue to miss his particular brand of brilliance. There has been no drummer like him before or since, in my opinion.

John Entwistle is also very sorely missed - the man was an absolute genius on the bass guitar. I still love The Who, but I still haven't seen them live as I don't think I could, not without Moon and Entwistle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, just wish I'd been there., 12 Nov 2000
Having read about the concert and all that led up to their performance, I was really looking forward to seeing if it lived up to my expectations. It does. It's Daltrey's singing-bare chested and longhaired, Townsend's guitar, and the fit of pique, Entwistle-steady as ever, with the skeleton suit to hint at the mischievious personality underneath, Moon's drumming -top form, in a wonderfully exuberant performance especially when you think it was 2am. Occasional references to ...Woodstock, where The Who hadn't been at their best, set it historically, you almost feel you are there afterall. My one complaint? Not long enough-could've watched and listened for much longer. Oh, and not being born until two years later, wish I'd been there..

5.0 out of 5 stars Live Music from the Heart from real musicians & performers., 9 Feb 2002
By A Customer
I have always remembered bits of that night well but the DVD (a present out of the blue)brought it all back to me as soon as I put it on the player. A lovely feeling as memories came flooding back. There were many great bands and performers at the festival but the Who stood out as one of (if not) the best. The DVD will be treasured and played regularly for the rest of my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Great Who Live Show, 4 Feb 2001
By A Customer
This great live Who performance marked the Who's homecoming from their world tour. The video features classics such as My Generation, Water and Tommy can you hear me? Classic moments include Keith hurling his drumsticks in the air and miraculously catching them and the electrifing performance of Who front man Pete Townsend.

The Who - Live At The Isle Of Wight Festival 1970 [DVD]