Format: Audio CD|Change

on 31 October 2008
Promised Land indeed. Not one duffer here.Probably the last great complete album by the King.

People say he ceased being relevant when he came out of the Army, maybe but how many can you name who could sing anything and make the most of what at times were dreadfull songs.

Most of the sixties wasted musically on poor music from movies but most of the seventies with a couple of exceptions fairly consistent.

I know he didnt write and rarely played but boy he could sing.
on 8 April 2008
this album is ausum,it is one of my faviorate elvis cds and the song help me is prue gold ,elvis never sounded better than when he sang this song for this album
on 1 June 2014
Later album by the king still in good voice a little bit more moody but some nice songs still remains the king
on 11 August 2008
One of the best Elvis Albums of the 70's. Elvis is a best voice.Great Album a must.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 January 2012
So did this mean we would have Booker T and the MG's as the house band with Duck Dunn hitting that groove on the bass and the magnificent Steve Cropper cutting across with those downright evil guitar lines?

Well no it didn't. What we got was an excellent backing team obviously well used to dealing with country or country related material since that's what most of it was, plus Elvis' usual (but also excellent) axeman James Burton. It does seem slightly incongruous that Stax Studios which were justly famous for the soul music produced there were being used to produce country records - why do I say it's country ? - heck anything with "Honky Tonk Angel" in it has to be country! My guess is that they were trying for another "Elvis Country" and, given that the previous attempt at recording in Memphis had produced the monster "From Elvis in Memphis", someone had put these two thought processes together and come up with "Stax Country" if I can call it that.

Felton Jarvis was in the control booth again. It may be that that is part of my problem with this album. It's very good but, I feel, could have been better. Most of it is over produced with strings and backing vocals seemingly everywhere. Why did no one have confidence in Elvis' voice to carry it? Intriguingly the best performance in the entire set comes on "You Asked me too" (originally "You Ask Me Too" and I don't know when or why this title got changed) which was co-authored by Waylon Jennings and Billy Joe Shaver. Waylon famously rebelled against the Nashville production system and succeeded in using his own backing team usually on relatively sparse arrangements. This song was one of the highlights on his "Honky Tonk Heroes" album which was a tribute to Billy Joe Shaver and is a model of the use of minimalist backing. Presley's version which sticks pretty closely to the Waylon version with some mighty nice guitar work from Burton, is an example of how much of the rest of the album could have been. Having said all that I've still got to admit that I prefer Waylon's cut. Give it a viewing on Youtube. Coming back to this set, though, the other song here which benefits from relatively restrained usage of strings etc. is "Good Time Charlie's got the blues".

The other comment I have about this set is that Elvis very largely sticks to the script throughout. There's not the feeling of danger that there was at times on both "From Elvis in Memphis" and "Elvis Country", where every now and then that old excitement broke through. The one exception here is "Talk about the good times" where the gospel content inspires our man to let rip a bit. Elsewhere the nearest he gets is on the closing section of "I got a feelin' in my body". The other up-tempo number, Chuck's "Promised Land" is a tad disappointing compared to both the Berry original and Johnnie Allan's cut where I confess I always look forward to the accordion break.

Before anyone jumps on me for these statements let me add that everything about this album is ultra professionally done, the song selection is varied but with a better proportion of good'uns than can be found on many of the later albums, and Elvis is in fine voice with pitch, control and range absolutely spot on. Just not quite five stars.

If this seems like no more than grudging enthusiasm, let's try a different closing paragraph:

This is one of the best late period Presley albums and it knocks into a cocked hat most of the stuff coming out of Nashville at the time.
on 19 April 2016
This is one of my favourite late Elvis albums.The title track is one of the best rock songs he ever recorded and the son that was the b side of the single release Its Midnight is a lovely ballad that has improved with age.
on 17 July 2015
Lovely this album. A real mix of ballards, gospel, country. Particulalrly love the track Its Midnight. Thought I knew all Elvis songs but lots on here that I was not familiar with. A great album
on 22 July 2015
Wanted this for the car
My boy is my favourite was looking for this for ages !
on 31 December 2015
Great music extended with extras from the album GOOD TIMES
on 1 February 2001
Stax Studios in December'73 was very lucky for Elvis career. In fact it was the last such a energetic session. King is great in mood and voice. If You like Man In Black movie You have to know that version of Chuck Berry "Promised land" is from this session. But the best is music from the egde of rhytm'n'country.