5.0 out of 5 stars Irrepressible voice, great album
Published on 11 Dec 2001 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - reflective and poignant.
"ME/MS" did for A-ha what "Ray of light" did for Madona. Reflective and mature, it reveals a facet of A-ha's songwriting that was seen in "Scoundrel Days". It is comparable to classics such as "Hunting High..." and "Stay on.." and the oh so beautiful "I thought that it was you" has a meloncholic tone. The...
Published on 10 July 2000 by kirkdax

5.0 out of 5 stars Irrepressible voice, great album, 11 Dec 2001
This review is from: Minor Earth Major Sky (Audio CD)
I bought this album mainly out of curiosity after not having owned any of A-Ha's earlier material. To be truthful I wasn't expecting a great deal despite having heard and enjoyed the singles 'Summer Moved On' and 'Velvet' before I had heard the rest of the album. Overall though, I was pleasantly surprised. This album is very consistent with only really one bad track on it ('The Company Man'- badly produced, quirky and very uninspiring). Apart from this though the quality on the album is very high with numerous spine tingling moments just made even more memorable by Morten Harket's irrepressible voice. How he managed to hit the notes he did on 'Thought It Was You' and get away with it is beyond me! Other highlights include 'Little Black Heart' (Catchy, cute and clever), 'To Let You Win' (Sentimental and beautiful), 'I'll Never Get Over You' (Stirring-definitely a grower) and 'I Wish I Cared' (Gorgeous and perfectly produced). Although the general mood of this album is a mellow one there are enough chirpy moments to satisfy other moods as well. This album has inspired me to delve into A-Ha's back catalogue and I recommend it highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent comeback, 24 Oct 2001
This review is from: Minor Earth Major Sky (Audio CD)
When I was 14, I was a huge Aha! fan. I wore leather thongs and ripped jeans, and was completely besotted with the band through Hunting High and Low and Scoundrel Days (which I still love to listen to). I genuinely didn't like Stay on These Roads and didn't bother with Memorial Beach. By then I'd 'grown up' and moved on. I bought East of the Sun, West of the Moon, but it failed to grow on me, and I simply forgot about Aha!
I went to my school reunion last year, and in a mood of nostalgia, I dug out my old Aha! albums and singles, and had a look for any news of them on the internet. After seeing excellent reviews for their comeback record ME/MS, I went out and bought it out of curiosity. Now it's one of my personal favourites, and I love playing it. It's not as dreary and morose as the late 80s/early 90s music which turned me off them back then. And yet it's not as poppy as some of their earlier material. It's almost a maturer sounding Scoundrel Days - lush, sweeping and melodic. Anyone I've played it for has really gone for it - and none of my friends were ever fans.
I think they're an incredibly overlooked band - people associate them with their boy-band looks and gimmicky videos of old. If a new band released this album now, it would be a critical and commercial hit.
Treat yourself and try it out!

4.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing, mature comeback from the boys from a-ha, 13 Jun 2000
This review is from: Minor Earth Major Sky (Audio CD)
I was wary when I bought this CD, thinking it would be a repeat of their music of the 1980s which, although was very big with me, didn't receive the respect that it really deserved at the time. But I was very pleasantly surprised when I heard this one. It does grow on you - one listen and you won't be hooked - and each song is unique. Morten explores vocals he hasn't before on previous albums, and the overall impression given by that is that he and the band have matured a lot, have taken on board the newer trends in music that have come about since they were last around, and have built on these, while still keeping in touch with the good 'ole a-ha themes - a few slightly cheesy rhyming lyrics and some poppy, manufactured sounds.
To sum up, this album is less about "I guessed it was all over when you chucked me out the Rover at full speed", and far more along the lines of "You say you want to run, you're not the only one."
Best songs - Minor Earth, Velvet, Summer Moved On.
Get it - even if you weren't a diehard fan in the 80's!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure quality, 6 Jun 2000
This review is from: Minor Earth Major Sky (Audio CD)
Well worth the wait! a-ha is back with a more mature and confident sound that well and truly exceed expectations. This is pure quality, the band has created an album that takes the listner seriously - which is more than be said for much of what is currently in the charts.
a-ha has got a unique vocalist in Morten Harket, and tracks like "Velvet", "Summer Moved On" and "I Wish I Cared" are guaranteed to send shivers down your spine.
Two other great tracks are "To Let You Win" and "Thought That It Was You" - if you like these, you really should check out Harket's solo album "Wild Seed" from a few years back - absolutely beautiful.
Hopefully, with this album the band will receive the attention they deserve. Warmly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars A delightful return for Norway's pop trio, 17 Jun 2000
This review is from: Minor Earth Major Sky (Audio CD)
In 1985 a trio of Norwegians set my heart a flutter with their wonderful debut single, 'Take on Me'. I filled my room with posters, swore my heart belonged to Morten Harket and vowed to marry a Norwegian.... Now it's 15 years later. I'm 26, my musical interests have changed somewhat, and I have never married a bloke from Norway. But, despite my change in musical(and male)allegiance I have never gotten over the ethereal quality of Morten Harkets vocals, teamed with the musical abilities of Mags and the song-writing finesse of Pal. I also still play their second album, 'Scoundrel Days' which has always struck me as an album way ahead of its time, and possibly confused the brains out of their legions of fans who couldn't grasp the maturity of the lyrics and score. (I have no doubt that they all gave up and tore down their posters and replaced them with pictures of Bros...) I was so delighted to hear rumours that the new A-ha album was really good..and although slightly sceptical, I thought what the heck and bought it anyway... I am so pleased to be able to state what an excellent album this is. For someone who spends the majority of her days listening to music as diverse as FSOL, Paul Van Dyk and the Pet Shop Boys, you'd think I would not find any common ground with this album at all. Be prepared to be surprised then because this is not only an excellent pop album, but one that has been finely crafted with heartfelt lyric and extremely catchy melodies. Of course, the music reflects the maturity of the band members,yet still retains that certain quality that made A-ha stand out from their pop contempories.In my opinion, they were way ahead of their time, and suffered due to the idea of Norway being 'musically challenged' (think 'nul points' in the Eurovision Song Contest and you'll get my drift) The album flows extremely well, from an absolutely fantastic opener, the 'Minor Earth, Major Sky' of the albums title. The UK single release 'Summer Moved On' is blessed with soaring vocals and showcases Mr Harkets incredible vocal ability. There are surprises in here too, the baseline of 'The Sun Never Shone that Day' is reminiscent of Garbage's 'Stupid Girl'. I'm a little unsure of the final track, the oddly titled 'Mary Ellen Makes The Moment Count', but it's growing on me. Despite this singular reservation I have no doubt that this album is definitely a 'grower'. Leave your pre-conceptions behind, and give this album a try. If you loved 'Scoundrel Days' as much as I did, and still do, then you will be delighted. If you are new to A-ha, try this anyway-you'll be pleasantly surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music doesn't get much better than this!, 28 May 2011
This review is from: Minor Earth Major Sky (Audio CD)
Annies' husband reviewing. Of all my a ha albums this one has to be my favourite. All the albums are great but this one is sublime to the ear. Mortens unique vocal range shines through on a fine variety of tracks that can be both relaxing and uplifting to listen to. As I said I can't imagine music getting any better than this and you should buy and not be dissapointed. Mortens two solo albums 'Wild Seed' and 'Letter from Egypt' are also doubly fantastic.Wild Seed Letter from Egypt

5.0 out of 5 stars just great, 10 May 2008
This review is from: Minor Earth Major Sky (Audio CD)
Just heard this album again this evening for the first time in a few years and remembered how good it is.Great songs,some of A-ha`s best and also great sound too.None of this loudness war crap here .Louder than A-ha`s eighties albums maybe,but sensibily loud with the dynamic range retained.
I remember buying my local Virgin`s store only copy in June 2000 on the day of release and I had to ask for it too!A-ha were back in obscurity then and had been for many years which is a shame as quality like this is hard to come by.
It easily beats in my view anything I `ve heard this year or last.

5.0 out of 5 stars A-ha Very nice return SOLID SOLID !, 21 Aug 2000
This review is from: Minor Earth Major Sky (Audio CD)
I am 32 years old , live in the USA and grew up on 80s music like Madonna, Pet Shop Boys and Culture Club. A-ha has always been one of my favorite bands, mostly in part to the stunning vocals of Morten. I have purchased most of their cds. Being slightly dissappointed with their last two offerings, EAST OF THE SUN..., and MEMORIAL BEACH. Although i did not find them thoroughly pleasing as a whole, i did find a track or three that i did enjoy. And that made it worthwhile.
Fast forward to 2000-
I am shifting through the import section at the local music store and come across ME/MS.
I had thouroughly forgotten about A-ha! And i had read nothing , absolutely nothing about a new A-ha disc! I debated on purchasing this more expensive import and decided against it.
Now here in the U.S.A. every tuesday new music is released and being the big music fan that i am , I always check out the new releases on tuesdays.
Well lately nothing of interest has come out and in the back of my mind I had ME/MS, so I finally broke down and bought it.
Wow,what a nice surprise, I REALLY REALLY like this cd. Ive always loved Morten's hauntingly sweet vocals but this time musically they have come out with a very solid cd! I like every song ( I'm listening to it now!) and that is rare for me. SUMMER MOVED ON- is beautiful MINOR EARTH...-love it! very modern. it had to grow on me, and boy am I hooked. other favs include VELVET, the catchy THE SUN NEVER SHONE THAT DAY, Mortens compositions,TO LET YOU WIN and THOUGHT THAT IT WAS YOU, I WISH I CARED and THOUGHT THAT IT WAS YOU made me cry :)
This entire cd is very very good!
Thanks A-ha for making music that touches me and I'm sure others that give it a listen.
HOPE TO SEE YOU IN CONCERT IN THE USA! and I hope much deserved success with the new cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks guys, 29 July 2000
This review is from: Minor Earth Major Sky (Audio CD)
In all honesty: When I'm alone and in that gray mood, this album has the power to make me cry (the title track that is, which is pure galaxy-noise). What else is there to say? Even though I'm a non-believer myself, its cool to finally see Morten expressing his faith without prejudice: "Thought That It Was You" sends shivers down my spine! "I wish I cared" is the coolest piece of perceived cynicism explained into childlike honesty I've heard in a long time, but I can't swallow "You'll never get over me" - whether its the case or not, it smacks too much of being self-centered, and the woman singing back at Morten towards the end just sounds like an excuse to record the song. Morten's rendition of Velvet was real good, but the first impression is still strongest, so Paul's version is still it for me. Finally, I hated the title of "The Sun Never Shone That Day" right off the bat (usually a cue that I'll never like the song, as with "Between Your Mama And Yourself" off "Memorial beach"), but the song gradually won me over until I had to accept the clang of the nursery-rhyme title. I've always appreciated a-ha and had some severe expectations of this album, but really weren't expecting them to be met. They were, although its still not perfection (whatever that is). I only hope they keep making music.

5.0 out of 5 stars A-Ha's great comeback debut!, 1 Jan 2008
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Minor Earth Major Sky (Audio CD)
This was A-Ha's first album after their seven year long break up. They did not receive the welcome back they deserved, and the British buying public I will never understand... The imaginative artwork of this first release since their reunion was inspiring.

This CD included the beginning of their tracks that would become longer and become many more on their future CDs. Thirteen tracks in total on this work - many of which are a great new sound without losing their former trademarks.

I could not comprehend that the single 'Summer Moved On' did not go straight to the top of the charts - this was a number one tune if ever there was one! There is just so much rubbish out there for some bizarre reason that is doing so much better these days...

This was also the beginning of A-Ha's material becoming more 'subliminal'. This would go on to appeal to a whole new audience as well as retaining their older one. Every A-Ha CD release since has become something of an event, and they just get better and better!

Full Marks!

Minor Earth Major Sky
Minor Earth Major Sky by a-ha (Audio CD - 2000)