5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year - bar none

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but lacks something
Published on 3 Jan 2001 by r.boreham@natcen.ac.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year - bar none, 10 Jun 2001
This review is from: Shine Like It Does (Audio CD)
I have no idea why some journalists keep saying Eileen Rose is alt-country, and the "singer-songwriter" tag doesn't work either. Sure, there are very slight country inflections here, and she does write all the songs, but this album sounds like she's the singer in an absolutely brilliant and completely out-there band. I don't mean this is difficult "experimental" music - all the songs are immediately memorable - it's just there's such a fabulous variety, yet none of it seems remotely out of place. Eileen Rose is clearly the type of artist people will love all their lives - like Neil Young, or Kate Bush. She already has MY heart. Amazing, AMAZING stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful voice, beautiful songs. More, please, 17 May 2001
This review is from: Shine Like It Does (Audio CD)
I read so many great reviews of Shine Like It Does that eventually I cracked and bought it. I'm so glad I did. Now that we're all assaulted by puerile musical pap on an constant basis, it's great to hear an artist who really throws their heart and soul into it. This is the genuine article - wonderful melodies, songs that move you, songs that move your feet and, best of all (in my opinion), image-packed lyrics that actually make you think. Outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare talent, 6 Aug 2001
Amazon Customer "Janea" (Bracknell, Berks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shine Like It Does (Audio CD)
I initially went to see Eileen Rose as three members of Del Amitri were guesting with her - but I fell in love with her music right away and rushed home to order Shine Like It Does. I was not disappointed.
Eileen has a very rare talent indeed. She can write songs which hit you where it hurts, her perceptive observations on life and love are bittersweet and carefully crafted. And what a voice! If you've not seen Eileen Rose before make sure you do so! Buy this CD! I've not had it out of my CD player in six months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the UK version?, 1 Aug 2001
This review is from: Shine Like It Does (Audio CD)
I admit it - I love Eileen Rose. I've seen her live twice, I loved the UK version of Shine Like It Does, and I bought the US version, just to have everything. The US version includes 3 of the tracks from the Party Dress EP, making it slightly more rocking than the UK original, what with the howling country of Booze Talkin' and the psych-out that is New Penny. I really can't decide which is the better album but, now that the EP is so hard to find, I'd say it's well worth buying both. These songs are that special.

5.0 out of 5 stars melodic brilliance from 2000's best new songwriter, 8 Nov 2000
This review is from: Shine Like It Does (Audio CD)
It's been a long time since the hey-day of Rough Trade, but at last they've discovered an artist with sufficient charisma and songwriting ability to match The Smiths and Mazzy Star. Shine Like It Does is amazing for many reasons. For a start, it's got no fillers - all the songs are thoroughly memorable. Then there's the lyrics, as thoughtful, artful, moving and challenging as Kurt Cobain's cut-up best (and just as family-orientated) - a real joy now that even the likes of U2 are dealing solely in cliches and platitudes. And then there's that voice, both fierce and vulnerable, like an East Coast Piaf. The music's hard to categorise, and an Alt Country tag would be unfair. There's members of Alabama 3 on here, but they seem to provide an occasional funky groove rather than their usual Country Techno fare. The album has the swampiness of Little Feat, the heart-stopping drama of Billie Holiday, the unarguably timeless melodies of Carole King, AND the Boston indie rock feel of Pixies etc. Incredible stuff, my album of the year and even better live, if you're ever lucky enough to catch a show.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb album from a major new talent, 17 April 2001
This review is from: Shine Like It Does (Audio CD)
Having read so many glowing reviews of this CD I decided (for once) to take the critics' word for it and try it out. I can't tell you how glad I am that I did because it's the finest set of songs I've heard in years. And what a voice! If you like Fleetwood Mac, or David Gray, or anything that's beautiful and moving and rocking, then you'll love this one. Really, it's superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a result!, 1 Aug 2001
This review is from: Shine Like It Does (Audio CD)
I saw Eileen Rose completely by accident, when she was playing with Ron Sexsmith at the Mean Fiddler. Her set was incredible, sometimes solo (very impressive voice!), sometimes singing moving duets with another guitarist, then Ron's guitarist came on, and then the whole of Ron's band! It should have been a shambles - she was only on for half an hour - but somehow it was so fluid, so affecting, and so much fun. I checked to see if she had an album out and, thank God, she did. I have to say Shine Like It Does is absolutely superb. Very rootsy, a bit bluesy, sometimes rocking, there's even a song, Silver Ladle, that reminds me of church music. Again, it all holds together. I'd recommend it to anyone. Reminds me of Stevie Nicks, and Victoria Williams and even a little of Edith Piaf. Fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favour and buy this album, 3 Feb 2001
This review is from: Shine Like It Does (Audio CD)
I'd never heard of Eileen Rose but went to see her perform after a friend who'd seen a show said it was the best gig she'd been to in 15 years - and she goes to a lot of gigs. She was right, the show was stunning and I bought the CD immediately after. It's brilliant. I can't understand why Rose is being pigeonholed as alt country - these are just superb rock and pop songs. I can hear Pink Floyd, Neil Young and even the Rolling Stones in here. Sounds like a strange mixture I know but check it out. Eileen Rose has a rare talent, an incredible voice and she's going to be massive.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but lacks something, 3 Jan 2001
This review is from: Shine Like It Does (Audio CD)
I bought this CD as it had rave reviews in the press, but i don't feel that it's quite lived up to them. Eileen's voice is strong, and distinct in a positive way, but i felt that the backing music didn't quite hit the spot. It seemed that when she was trying to convey emotion that every backing instrument was bought into play, whereas sometimes the subtle approach would have been better. It would be interesting to see if an acoustic version would be better, although again i'm not sure that the melodies are quite good enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant debut from rising new star, 11 May 2001
This review is from: Shine Like It Does (Audio CD)
I heard first heard Eileen Rose playing a live session on the Owen Money Show on Radio Wales and I thought she was great - great songs, really natural and funny and moving. Then I got this album and what a scorcher it is! No filler tracks, absolutely excellent from start to finish. Beautiful ballads, funky grooves and storming rockers too. I can't recommend it highly enough. Best album I've heard this year - by miles.

Shine Like It Does
Shine Like It Does by Eileen Rose (Audio CD - 2007)