5.0 out of 5 stars this cd finally converted me to fiddle music:)
Published on 22 Feb. 2003 by citrusgirrl

2.0 out of 5 stars Generally over-rated?
Published on 7 Feb. 2005 by fishcake

5.0 out of 5 stars this cd finally converted me to fiddle music:), 22 Feb. 2003
This review is from: Rice (Audio CD)
after years of not feeling sure about fiddle music, this cd has finally brought about the change... not only does eliza have one of my favourite voices on the planet, but her fiddle playing is restrained and subtle, and really brings out the beautiful voice of the instrument. the selection of songs here is also impressive, with an excellent range of haunting melodies and upbeat numbers.
i also have her solo album 'angels and cigarettes' and personally i think she is at her best when kept away from the buttons - her voice seems to blend so wonderfully with acoustic instruments.
this album is a cracking one and well worth the money... enjoy:)

5.0 out of 5 stars its amazing what sprouts can produce, 4 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Rice (Audio CD)
only eliza carthy can tell you why she would dedicate a thank you
to sprouts,on the back cover of this cd.but whatever influence sprouts have given eliza carthy for this album,it has produced a great collection of english traditional tunes .
with the combination of great fiddle playing and that amazing voice,eliza has recorded some songs on this album,which will always be my favourite eliza carthy tunes,namely the americans have stolen my true love away and the collection of fiddle tunes zycanthos jig/tommys foot/quebecois,which show what a great fiddle player she is,tunes to tap your toes to.
if you like english traditional music, buy this cd,

2.0 out of 5 stars Generally over-rated?, 7 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Rice (Audio CD)
I don't want to make Eliza Carthy fans angry, but I think she's quite over-rated. I really love the vibrant and exciting music being made by musicians like Mike McGoldrick, Kate Rusby, Flook, Shooglenifty and others, who marry traditional instruments and tunes with innovative and clever arrangements. And I do like fiddle music!! I just think that on the whole Eliza Carthy's songs and tunes are not particularly interesting, when it comes down to it. There are some nice tracks on this album - I love Mons Meg and Blow the Winds / The Game of Draughts (although both are a bit too long) - but I'm afraid I wouldn't particularly recommend it.

Rice
Rice by Eliza Carthy (Audio CD - 2000)