5.0 out of 5 stars Chill out, relax, 18 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Essential Bach (Audio CD)
I don't pretend to be an expert on classical music, in fact I know little more than the most famous composers' names and some of their most prominent works. However I have a general interest in classical music and this CD proved an excellent introduction to one of the greatest composers of all time. The record is a very good showcase for the work of Bach and therefore contains some great music. If you're anything like me you'll find music here which you know and love as well as some you know less well. It provides the best of both worlds, familiar work you know you're going to listen to again plus material which may be new to you that you can get to know and which may prompt further investigation of the great man's work. Listening to this CD is also the perfect way to relax. If you want a CD you can chill out to while doing something else, like revision, housework, whatever this really is ideal. This soothing, melodic collection will both stimulate your mind and help you unwind so kick back and prepare to get to know the work of a truly great composer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 26 Dec 2011
This review is from: Essential Bach (Audio CD)
This is a great intro to Bach. Good quality recordings at a very low price. If you're someone who is dabbling in classical music for the first time, or just want an inexpensive compendium album of Bach's best known work, then this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat and lovely, 24 Oct 2011
This review is from: Essential Bach (Audio CD)
I've never heeard a version of Bach's Toccata and Fugue for organ in D minor that I liked better (track 1). Many other pieces are fresher too, than versions I've been accustomed to earlier. I love many of the tracks on these two records. They were a pleasant surprise to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars lowbrow and I know it., 22 Mar 2012
BJB (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Essential Bach (Audio CD)
Okay, I'm no connoisseur of classical music but if you're sneakily searching for 'The Best Bach Album EVER!' then neither are you. That's what I did because I wanted that bit of violin/cello music used in the film, Master and Commander. I found it on this disc and got a whole lot more thrown into the bargain and it's ALL absolutely brilliant. I've never had a favourite classical composer before - just liked the good bits I've heard on adverts or movies. But I feel this is the album which will allow me to appreciate classical works with greater enjoyment - with Bach leading the way.

Who cares how we're led to culture, as long as we drink?

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius at work, 9 July 2011
M. Davidson (Southampton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Essential Bach (Audio CD)
So much fantastic work all gathered together.

A small warning, you will be affected by this man's work. The variety in this showcase displays what a real musician should aspire to, many of the modern are pitiful once you have listened to a master.

Essential Bach
Essential Bach by Johann Sebastian Bach (Audio CD - 2000)