4.0 out of 5 stars New direction
I was a fan of All About Eve ever since hearing Martha's Harbour on the radio. I bought the first three albums and enjoyed them but after the Touched by Jesus album I thought it was all getting a bit old. It seems that All About Eve may have felt this too because this album is a radical departure from the other three.
On first hearing it is a bit of a jolt for those...
Published on 8 April 2009 by njw

2.0 out of 5 stars The End Was Nigh
Published on 13 Oct 2010 by Lucioperca

4.0 out of 5 stars New direction, 8 April 2009
This review is from: Ultraviolet (Audio CD)
On first hearing it is a bit of a jolt for those expecting folky soft rock. "Phased" comes on like an statement of intent...all dark feedback and vocal distortion. After two and half listens I loved it.
This pretty much continues throughout the album with the darker tone dominating and Julianne Regan's normally upfront voice becomes an atmospheric whisper which really suits the new direction.
The last song "Outshine The Sun" for me, is the best on the album and one of my favourite ever album closers. It's epic and brooding and the crescendo with wailing guitar solo is absolutely euphoric.
Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes time to get to know - but worth the investment, 21 Sep 2008
M. F. G. Rijs "mfgr" (The Hague, Netherlands (Europe)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultraviolet (Audio CD)
Guitars? Check. Drums? Check. Bass? Check. Layered vocals? Check. So what was the problem with Ultraviolet when it came out? It was probably ahead of its time. At the same time it was perceived by some as a ripoff of UK band who were making this kind of music at the time - but less refined. All About Eve were wellknown for their folkrock/goth influences, but they were all thrown overboard for this album.
I had a hard time with this album at the time, but found that it was a great accompaniment when driving through nightly cities. The closing track 'Outshine the sun' is probably the best epic song (clocking in at 10 minutes) since 'Child in Time' by Deep Purple: the guitar solo is like a rollercoaster ride. The single 'Phased' and 'I don't know' are possibly the most accessible tracks of the album, almost poppy, whereas 'Blindfolded visionary' and 'Yesterday goodbye' are more rock-oriented.
If you get a chance to buy this album, you really should. It's worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultraviolet - confounds friends and foes alike but rewards on repeat listens. An absolute fantastic classic., 25 Sep 2014
This review is from: Ultraviolet (Audio CD)
One of my most favourite albums - a total departure from the folk fare and warm rock of their previous albums which I loved, this album is definitely a grower, taking many listens for me to appreciate it - it feels like something that has landed from another a planet... once it grows on you however, you realise AAE surpassed all expectations by confounding expectations. Put all preconceptions aside, enter the surreal trippy world of Ultraviolet and you may never want to go back :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The mighty guitar adventure, 30 Jan 2012
PV (Espoo, Finland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultraviolet (Audio CD)
The best album to hear the considerable guitar talents of Marty Willson-Piper. Pure epic guitar bliss from start to finish. Pop outings like Things He Told Her and Some Finer Day are excellent as well. Hazy psychedelia in I Don't Know and Outshine The Sun closes the album and the band's discography in majestic fashion.

5.0 out of 5 stars The "misunderstood fourth album" syndrome?, 24 Jun 2008
This review is from: Ultraviolet (Audio CD)
Most of you have heard of the "difficult second album syndrome", and "Scarlet" certainly was for AAE. There should also be a "misunderstood fourth album" syndrome. Kate Bush had it with "The Dreaming". All about Eve had it with "Ultraviolet".

Julianne and the Boys tried something new, a darker, less warm and fuzzy sound. For me, the stand-out tracks are "Phased", "Infrared" and the beautiful "Freeze". "Blindfolded visionary" is wonderful, but too short, leaving me wanting more. "Outshine the sun" is one of the most popular tracks, not least with Julianne herself, but I have never quite warmed to it. "Yesterday goodbye" and "Some finer day" (which was also released as a single) could easilly fit onto one of AAE's previous albums, which makes them appear slightly out of place here. Oh, and I don't like "Dream butcher" much., but it is still worth listening to, at least occasionally.

The only disapointments for me were that the b-side "Moodswing" isn't on the album (quite possibly my favorite of all their songs), and that the vocals are somewhat downplayed. To be honest, once you have listened to the album enough times, you realise that it was crafted by the whole band, designed as a whole and not just highlighting Julianne's wonderous voice with some accompaniment.

If you want a Martha's retread, look elsewhere. If you want to see an evolution of one of the finest bands ever, get a copy of Ultraviolet. Who knows, you might just understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the reviews said, 31 Oct 2014
This review is from: Ultraviolet (Audio CD)
Better than the reviews said. It`s just different in style from their earlier albums, more darkly Gothic but still melodious.

2.0 out of 5 stars The End Was Nigh, 13 Oct 2010
Lucioperca (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultraviolet (Audio CD)
I very much enjoyed a lot of the early AAE work and in particular one of my favourite songs is their Road To Your Soul, its a superb suplifting song and I bought this album hoping for more of the same. What you actually get in Ultraviolet is a much darker, sombre and deeply gothic offering. Some will love it and some will dislike it. I can't quite make up my mind but I haven't played it once since I last moved home in 2002 so I guess it hasn't carved itself a place in my musical affections. I think Ultraviolet marked the point at which AAE's better days were behind them and they faded from the public consciousness shortly after. This album lacks any sort of spark that gets me going... its got quite a morose Portishead feel about it and if you want to get anybody in to AAE ...for goodness sake don't let them within 50 yards of this album .... its not bad .... its just hard work.

Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet by All About Eve (Audio CD - 1992)