4.0 out of 5 stars A solid release on Blu-Ray for Moore's first bond outing
I'm making my way through all the recent Bond on Blu-Ray releases, and strangely enough as I move through the franchise from the oldest (Dr.No), the image quality seems to be very slowly deteriorating. That's not to say that the image is poor; it is in fact excellent, but Dr.No's was astonishing and is over a decade older. The colours appear a Little muted compared to the...
Published on 14 Feb 2009 by K. O'Leary

1.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't play
It's difficult to say much about this product as it simply doesn't play on my Blu Ray player. A couple of other Bond movies don't play either, but all of the other Blu Rays I have seem to be perfectly okay.
Sorry, you asked my opinion, and I have even had two copies of "Live And Let Die", neither of which worked.
I am contacting Sony, the Blu Ray...
Published 5 months ago by Mr. Alfred A. Blackler

5.0 out of 5 stars Too awesome, 25 Mar 2003
Live and Let Die is definitely the best Moore Bond film there is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 3 Feb 2007
Well, what can I say about this film? It has everything: Tarot Cards, Baron Samedi, Solitaire, the crocodile farm and the boat chase with the first apperance of J.W Pepper as well as the debut of Roger Moore as James Bond. This is the ultimate Bond film in my opinion, and arguably, one of the best Bond films, let alone Roger Moore's best Bond film. Many people argue that 'The Spy Who Loved Me' was Moore's best Bond, but I think it comes nowhere as close to this brilliant film. I highly recommend this DVD to anyone, as the extras spark just as well as the film itself! Just one final point, I prefer the Guns 'n' Roses version of the song 'Live and Let Die'...

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Sep 2014
k

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not the best, 4 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Live And Let Die [DVD] [1973] (DVD)
I have to admit that this is my least favourite of the Bond films. Certainly there are a number of points which make it stand out - Roger Moore's first outing as Bond; the first film not to feature Q/Major Boothroyd; the first Bond film not to feature Bond in the pre-credits scene - but apart from all that it is unexceptional.
Yaphet Kotto makes the most of his role as Kananga but seems wasted in this film (he also meets the most laughable demise of a villain in a Bond film). Jane Seymour doesn't come across as a particularly impressive Bond girl and, after a diet of Connery DVDs I suddenly see what people had been telling me about for years - Moore is comparatively wooden.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching this film, I just rate it the least of the series. There is little in this movie that I found entertaining - the chase scenes seem rather drab and most of the characters seem uninteresting. Perhaps it was the work of the voodoo curse (watch the accompanying documentary to see what I mean).
The picture quality is generally quite good, though there are two scenes of comparatively low quality. They don't spoil the viewing pleasure and can be easily ignored - simply a case of an old print. Overall, a good transfer although I found that the film, like the Goldfinger DVD, looked better with the enhancement mode switched off. As usual, MGM have provided another DVD laden with features all giving an insight into this film.

2.0 out of 5 stars Best left in the 70s, 5 April 2003
Joseph Haschka (Glendale, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
I never saw LIVE AND LET DIE when it was released in 1973. Now, thirty years later, I have the disquieting thought, "Might I have loved it back then?" Surely not. But what will I think thirty years hence of Pierce Brosnan's recent Bond films, some of which I regard with a modicum of favor? There's a good chance I'll be dead and won't suffer embarrassment.
In this 007 thriller of the post-Connery era, Roger Moore plays James Bond up against the evil drug lord Kananga (Yaphet Kotto), who's already managed to liquidate three British agents. Kananga lurks behind a voodoo facade, and his own actions are guided by Tarot cards dealt by Solitaire (Jane Seymour, in her film debut). The ostensible locale of much of the action is the Caribbean, perhaps so the solitary, bikinied Bond Babe can avoid goosebumps.
LIVE AND LET DIE has the quality of a made-for-TV-movie, and not a very good one at that. The gadgetry is minimal, the acting sometimes deplorable, and the one extended chase sequence remarkably soporific. Roger Moore is no better than third behind Connery and Brosnan as the intrepid and resourceful Commander. Kotto as Kananga is uninspired. And the caricature of a southern sheriff by Clifton James is both unnecessary and excruciatingly overacted. Perhaps the only reason to see LIVE AND LET DIE is Jane Seymour, who is, in my opinion, one of the most exquisitely beautiful actresses ever to grace the Big Screen. And animal lovers will enjoy the plethora of snakes, sharks and crocodiles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Not 2.35:1, 21 Jan 2007
David G. Davies (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought the ultimate edition because previous releases of this film have been in 1.85:1 (i.e. they fill a widescreen TV) and Amazon list this as being 2.35:1, i.e. "Cinemascope ratio", which is what all the other Bond films, from Thunderball onwards, have been. However, this is also in 1.85:1.

It seems strange that the Bond series went back to the old ratio for just this one film, particularly as it was Roger Moore's debut as Bond.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worst In The Bond Series, 8 Feb 2003
This review is from: Live And Let Die [DVD] [1973] (DVD)
The plot is very lacking and I find it hard to take seriously. With tarot cards, indestructible 9ft men and Bond jumping from crocidile to crocidile to escape, it lacks the basic realism that the other 19 films posess. I know that none of the Bond films are totally realistic but there is line between barely believeable and unbelieveable and Live And Let Die crosses that line.
The boat chase is exciting and easily the greatest part of the film. It is good that the Bond girl, Solitaire(Jane Seymour) is good looking and Dr. Kanaga(Yaphet Kotto) is an interesting foe.
All in all, it is, in my opinion, the worst in the Bond series and not a good start to Roger Moore's career as 007.

1.0 out of 5 stars The best bit was the soundtrack, 15 April 2007
Darkmaster (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an awful film. Nothing like the Connery films. I really hate it. As I've said, the soundtrack is probably the best bit for me. There's an alright boat chase, but once you've seen all of the Roger Moore films, boat chases are not unusual. I think that this is the worst James Bond film ever made. Even worse than A View To A Kill.

But I've got to admit that Baron Samedi is a great character and so is Tee Hee.

I think that the plot is a bit boring. The bad guy wants to sell drugs. So what? What happened to taking over the world?

Roger Moore doesn't look like a tough guy.

Live And Let Die [DVD] [1973]
Live And Let Die [DVD] [1973] by Guy Hamilton (DVD - 2003)