on 9 September 2003
I am not a blues fan but this is an impressive landmark in Elkie's career. She is a pop, jazz, blues, and rock singer. Her voice suits the blues perfectly and I was entranced by all the tracks on this album. It is Elkie's powerful voice and her intense feeling that makes this an excellent blues album. I have heard several blues albums and "Nothin'But the Blues" stands strongly among them proving the incredible diversity of Elkie Brooks' artistry.
on 24 August 2001
I bought this CD with extremely high hopes. Ekie Brooks and 16 classic blues tracks - what could be a better combination? And yet I was disappointed. While her voice retains its usual passion, its trademark power, its gritty pefection, the instrumentation is not up to standard. Her drummer, Mike Richardson, has never been great, and on this album there isn't even a bass: the bass line is played by an electric keyboard! The same goes for much of the brass, and all of this gives the album a very unprofessional sound. For such a successful artist, so well established, I found that very surprising. Elkie's voice carries it, though, which is why it's no disaster. 'Mean and Evil' represents the classic twelve bar blues tune, and is raw enough to overcome the instrumental difficulties, while 'Somebody to Love' is one of the livelier tracks, giving The Voice wide scope to impress. But it's on 'Baby What You Want Me To Do' that we hear Elkie's trademark, and really quite amazing, scream: it's tuneful, and it goes on for 40 seconds. Circular breathing, I'm told. So, if you want to hear Elkie, I wouldn't recommend this as the best starting place; and if your looking for a classy blues album, I'm afraid there are many better than this. Nothin' But the Blues sounds anythin' but professional. Only Elkie Brooks' enduring quality rescues it from mediocrity
on 7 April 2011
2nd time I've bought this CD. 1st one was worn out a few years ago, Downloaded tracks onto pc but decided to buy original again. I love it. Great to listen to when working or relaxing and the CD sounds tons better than the download. Thanks Amazon.
on 25 September 2015
This is a fantastic album, one of my all time favourites. Elkie has hand picked some of her own favourites and her handling of them often surpasses the original. Highly recommended not only to fans of Elkie but to anyone who appreciates good music.
on 8 March 2014
Her voice never disappoints. Some great tracks from Elkie. Her concerts are amazing, a must see. She is the U.K.s finest.
on 24 March 2014
I AM A FAN OF THE BLUES AND I LOVE ALL THE TRACKS ON THIS ELKIE BROOKS ALBUM MY FAV IS NOTHIN' BUT THE BLUES
on 8 May 2015
Fantastic Elkie at her best singing the Blues!!
on 20 December 2014