5.0 out of 5 stars Sly, Robbie and The Stones, 8 July 2007
S. Swanton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Uhuru (Audio CD)
"Black Uhuru" by Black Uhuru has been released many times, under various titles such as "Showcase" and "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner". I first came across it as a vinyl LP on Virgin UK, VX1004 being the catalogue number. At that point in my life, I thought that reggae began and ended with the (then) ubiquitous UB40. From the opening, mournful Hammond organ chords of "Shine Eye Gal" to the dub playout of "Plastic Smile", this album transformed my life and led me down the righteous path of roots reggae.

I had heard nothing like it before. Stripped-down rhythms, often just the drum/bass interplay of Sly and Robbie, with minimal input from guitar or keyboards, this was the message of Africa written large through my inadequate speakers. Seven killer bass lines, three voices wreathed together in smoky harmony, penetrating visionary lyrics and a dub-based production which led each track into a meltdown before giving way to the next Biblical chapter.

I was lucky enough many years later to meet Lee Perry at Heathrow Airport. Once he had got over his amazement at a white guy recognising him, and also being able to talk his subject in detail, he agreed that this was the ultimate late-1970s roots album. "This album was JA through and through" he told me, that heady fusion of street violence, personal discovery and deep-seated Rasta that pervaded the life of all on the island during the last months of Marley's mission on earth.

Whatever you may be thinking right now, buy this CD and tune into a time now gone. And check out the guitar on the first track, "Shine Eye Gal" - duties undertaken by one Keith Richards, who was at his JA home during the recording and taken to the studio by Peter Tosh to add his chops to the mix.

5.0 out of 5 stars great value and sounds fab!!, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Black Uhuru (Audio CD)
i chose this because I'd had the original back in the 80's on vinyl, and wanted to replace it....great value for money and sounds just like I remember - very happy

Black Uhuru
Black Uhuru by Black Uhuru (Audio CD - 1989)