4.0 out of 5 stars undeniable potential indescribably unfulfilled.
Published on 4 Jan 2001 by bove@demonheadmonster.fsnet.co.uk

3.0 out of 5 stars 2012 Vinyl - A missed opportunity!
With the 2012 release of 'Much Against...' on vinyl, there was an opportunity to gather all the tracks from the UK/Euro versions to make the definitive album, worthy of a 5 star review, however, the album falls short of it's potential awesomeness by omitting the European tracks (Flying Without Wings - The Salty Knowledge of Tears - My Cruel Joke and the hidden track Turn...
Published 18 months ago by Phelix

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars undeniable potential indescribably unfulfilled., 4 Jan 2001
This review is from: Much Against Everyone's Advice (Audio CD)
"They are one of the best live bands around at the moment"....there we go then, that's got the obvious out of the way. Soulwax are an amazing live band and the Dewaele brothers are fine DJ's, but 'Much Against Everyone's Advice' doesnt really put this across. The maverick singles are all there, 'Conversation Intercom', 'Too Many DJ's' and the title track itself, all reminders of what got you interested in Soulwax in the first place, and what led you to witness the avalanche of style and sophisticated Belgian quirkiness that is their live show. Reminders of why you spent hours trawling the internet for those bootleg remixes of Beck, Skeelo and the Prodigy that represent the fruits of the Dewaele's disc-spinning prowess. But they are not on this album, nor is the exquisite live version of Prince's 'Pop-life'. You dont get a free strip-light mic stand with every purchase and Steven Dewaele wont come round your house and play keepy-uppies like he did at V2000 last summer. So what do you get? Well have no fear, despite what you may think on your first few listens, this is not 3 singles + 8 fillers, the other tracks on the album could almost be arranged on a sliding scale between 'pure' Soulwax and 'ballad mode' Soulwax, with 'Too many DJ's' at one end and 'When logics die' at the other. "Ballads!" I hear you cry....why yes, but despite the clumsy seeming lyrics and the 'is this meant to be ironic?' factor, Much Against Everyone's Advice does reward repeat listenings, with 'Funny' and 'Saturday' really defining Soulwax's sound. So should you buy it? Go and see them live and you will have no choice, but fear not, you wont regret it, even if it is just because you have secured ownership of a piece of memorabilia connected to the best Belgian band in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply one of the best albums I have ever heard!!!!, 8 Jan 2002
I stumbled upon this album through my brother, he simply said to me listen to this because it is magic. I did just that and I can say nothing bad about this album at all. It kicks off with a cracker "conversation intercom" a lovely mixture of off-beats and slide guitar. It slows down with a couple of slow balads sang wonderfully. Track 4 the title track of the album just hits you with a boom of guitar distortion. " proverbal pants" is personally my favourite song because the melody is to die for. "too many d.j's" is a classic in its own right, a song if you buy this album you will play over and over again. There is something for everybody in this album, Soulwax take 80's beats and mix them with 90's rock guitar, then add their own wonderful melodies to make this one of my favourite albums ever! BUT THIS RECORD!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars grower., 14 Jan 2005
C. B. Softley "Badger" (Wolverhampton, Staffordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Much Against Everyone's Advice (Audio CD)
I first heard of Soulwax when I saw them support The Wannadies?! They clearly blew them out of the water, and every other band that followed them on their many festival appearances that year (2000). After getting this album I had to wonder whether I had been a bit too drunk on those occasions. It seemed to contain none of the power that I had remembered, and I was disappointed by how flat it all sounded. Anyone who's seen them live will contest that the human breakbeat solo of the recorded version of Too Many Dj's pales in comparison to what they did live.
Despite this I still listened to the album (rarely) because I really liked one or two songs off of it. Then by late 2001 I realised it was getting played at least a couple of times a week (Just kind of crept up on me.) so I have to admit it, every cut on this record is really good and as a whole I love this album. It still pales when compared to their live work, but they are an exceptional live act - kind of remind me of The Who who are my favourite band, I love every album but none of them match up to my live recordings.
If you like guitar music with intelligent lyrices, then you need to own this record.

5.0 out of 5 stars An album that deserves more recognition, 25 Jan 2001
By A Customer
Soulwax. You've probably heard the name before but can't remember what they have actually done. Well, one listen to this cd and youll wonder how you ever lived without it. Soulwax deserve much more recognition for this album than they have been given so far, I would have expected a Mercury nomination at least. Anyway, the cd is amazing. The tracks "Too Many DJ`s" the title track, as well as "Conversation Intercom" stand out from the others but they dont have to carry the album as the other songs are also very enjoyable. On the whole, i think this is set to become a very huge album and look out for more great stuff from the band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soulwax saved my life from everyday chart music. THANK YOU!, 6 Oct 2000
This review is from: Much Against Everyone's Advice (Audio CD)
Another fantastic album from across the seas. This band is a must see/hear phenomenon that has surely become a serious artifact in the indie/rock scene. With each and every song pleading to convince you how much personal input the group are letting out, it is no wonder why it is recommended being "Much against everyone's advice". If it is Conversation Intercom with it's hard hitting, honest rock that takes you to some splendid chord movements that send you humming along to for days, or if it is Too Many DJ's with it's stylish combination of rock and dance that took the words right out of my mouth, with new boundry breaking ideas and plausible harmonies and melodies, this selection is surely one of the best alternative albums of the year and is sure to take a whole new outlook on indie/rock music. Highly recommended! The perfect antidote to anyone who suffers from boy and girl band syndrome. A winner!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing out of Belgium since the chocolate., 1 Nov 2000
This review is from: Much Against Everyone's Advice (Audio CD)
Soulwax, seem to have only recently entered the alternative public eye in the UK, even though they have been around for a good while. Much Against Everyone's Advice is intriguing. At first, those of you who have heard all their single releases will be somewhat bemused by the album itself. Conversation Intercom, the title track and Too Many DJs bare little resemblance to the mellow musings of Proverbial Pants or More than This. After listening to the album once, I would have begun to forget about it, but I repeatedly found myself singing excerpts from it. I began to listen to it again, and decided that this was a fine album! The lyrics that I once found confusing suddenly made sense, and I could not stop hearing that bit more whenever I had a spare moment. Belgian funk rockers Soulwax deserve your respect, and at least a few hours of your time. They deserve a wider audience, but for the moment you should make sure you see them live. This album is one of the best of the year. You will be humming the songs at the strangest of times. Or is that just me? -Daniel Murtha

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 6 Mar 2006
jake (surrey, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Much Against Everyone's Advice (Audio CD)
first of all amazon the jeff buckley cover is on 'too many djs' not 'saltly knowledge of tears' and then the cover at the end of over weight karate kid is a cover of 'bahaus' - 'bela lugosi's dead'. this album is brilliant shows how soulwax have a great span of music knowledge but also explore all types of music genre's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the chocolate and beer!!!, 23 Sep 2005
jools "jools" (North of England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Much Against Everyone's Advice (Audio CD)
Forget about the amazon review, and anything else that says this is 'quirky' or 'spread too thin' and don't compare it to Beck. I first saw them supporting the Wannadies, and even though I love those swedes, I think Soulwax blew them away. Best gig I have ever been to! They are superbly original and they do manage to get a lot of elements into their music without falling into the usual trap of not pleasing anyone, or being 'quirky' or annoying.
Beautiful songs, vastly original, their clear love of music is inspiring. Buy the album. See them live. You won't regret it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice one ali., 27 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Much Against Everyones (Audio CD)
I was looking for something new, something i'd never heard before, a freind(ali) sugested this album.I love it, i dont know huge amounts about music but its just a great album, a great mix of tunes varing from funky slightly 80's style to more rock based tracks.Nothing too heavy so its a good one to chill out too.....basicaly just buy it, its a great cd, and the bonus cd is v. cool also.

5.0 out of 5 stars From the Belgian School of Rock!, 15 Oct 2001
This review is from: Much Against Everyone's Advice (Audio CD)
I never really heard of Soulwax until the guitarist in my band bought the album and let me listen to the album. When I first heard I thought, "What the f***!" because it really confused me. But when I listened to it more, I realised that I had to purchase it. Its the whole fusion of styles, Ballads (More then this), Heavier Rock (Much against everyone's advice) and just sheer brilliance (Too many DJ's, Conversation Intercom, Saturday etc.). Justwanted to say that they are really cool and hopefully I'll get to see them live in February. A definite 10 out of 10. Keep Rocking!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Much Against Everyone's Advice
Much Against Everyone's Advice by Soulwax (Audio CD - 2001)