Format: DVD|Change

on 31 October 2000
Although I was very young when I first saw this film, parts of it stayed with me, in particular the big, colourful song and dance pieces (especially the house building scene). While not being a big fan of musicals in general, I consider this to be a good introduction to the genre, as it has a strong visual as well as aural presence and you'll be humming the songs for weeks. All together now: Bless her beautiful hide, wherever she may be...................
on 13 February 2008
This film has been on my wish list for quite a while, I just remembered that it was a wonderful film, full of great set pieces, good songs & beautiful orchestrations, my only regret is that I didnt buy this earlier.

I bought this because of the two versions of the film, for the commentary from the director Stanley Donen, and for the documentary presented by Howard Keel himself, where everyone recall's how this supposed 'B' picture at MGM eventually became a huge hit that is still as enjoyable today.

As a film it is tight, there is no real filler the story moves at a good pace and it all falls together beautifully, as Stanley Donen says in his commentary, it was a film made by great professional's from top to bottom and it shows. I can only wish he had got his wish and shot it all on location in Oregon instead of on the back lot at MGM, that would only have enhanced this wonderful movie.

Just get it, you won't regret it. Bless your beautiful hide....
on 5 September 2003
Fantastic! Howard Keel is as always superb. What a voice!!
This was one of my favourite films as a child and i couldn't resist buying the DVD. Watching is as an adult gave me a totally different perspective. I remembered all the songs, the brothers A-to-G names; Adam, Benjamin, Caleb, Daniel, Ethan, Frank and Gideon! However i never realised what cavemen they were!! Going into a town and taking 6 young women screaming out of their beds away from their families to be wives to men they hardly knew!!
This didn't last long though and i was soon back to singing away. This story is bascially Snow white and the seven dwarfs all over again! Only this time the sweet untidy little dwarves are replaced by strapping unkempt men who live in a pigsty!!
Watching Molly cope with them and turn them into well mannered and well dressed gentlemen (almost!) is a joy. This film is a perfect pick me up and worth watching for Howard Keel's (bless her beautiful hide!) performance alone.
VINE VOICEon 24 May 2005
I saw this film in the movies when it first came out. I watched it recently and found that it is just as fun to watch as the first time. I had forgotten some of the scenes and was pleasantly surprised. You will find your self not humming but actually singing the tunes along with the movie and in the shower. Well even if you don't normally sing in the shower this movie will help you start. And do not go swinging your ax in the house.
The DVD version has background information to enhance your viewing pleasure.
If nothing else this film is a good addition to your library.
Just incase you really haven't seen this film (hard to imagine), Millie (Jane Powell) one of the towns people is courted by Adam (Howard Keel) who is from another world, that of the woods. Both people have different agendas. Millie plans on a place of her own out of the hectic city and maybe a little more exotic with a different sort of man. Adam on the other hand needs a chief cook and bottle washer for himself and his six brothers. At first the surprise is on Millie. Later Adam finds out that he can not handle what he has brought home. The fun begins as Millie and Adam has a different approach to finding wives for the six brothers.
This film has lots of color-coordinated clothes, great dance scenes and appropriate song at just the right places to integrate into a fun story.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 March 2014
This adorable film is now 60 years old and still it didn't age one little bit. I always liked it a lot and could confirm recently that the old magic still works. Below, more of my impressions, with some limited SPOILERS.

In the beginning was a short story, "The sobbin women" (a great read by the way!), written in 1926 by Stephen Vincent Benet (1898-1943), the man who also gave us the immortal classic "The devil and Daniel Webster". The story was immediately spotted as good film material, but for various reasons it took almost 20 years to make a movie from it. As in the meantime films gained the speech and color, this long wait was finally a good thing, as was the idea to change the initial story into a highly humorous musical.

Oregon Territory 1850. Adam Pontipee (Howard Keel), a farmer living in an isolated valley in the mountains, comes to town to trade - and, as in many earlier occasions, also look for a wife... This is a daunting task, because not only single young women are very few and almost all are already spoken for, but he also never can stay longer in town than one day at a time...

But incredibly, this time he will get impossibly lucky - to the greatest annoyance of many a male in the town...))) His brand new wife Milly (Jane Powell), met, courted, won over and married in just one day, will go live with him in the mountains - where she will discover a big bad surprise... in fact, six of them...))) And then the film REALLY begins.

There are many treasures in this film:

- gentle, clever humour. TONS of it!

- great songs. TONS of them!

- one absolutely incredible dance ("The Barn Building Dance"), in which twelve handsome young men and six adorable young ladies play a complicated and merciless courting/mating/fighting ritual, without ever losing their smiles or missing one step (and that even if at one moment a huge axe gets involved) ...)))

- a wonderful lesson in marital logistics, tactics and strategy

- a great lesson about women DECISIVE influence in progress of civilization and culture...)))

- an absolutely unique lecture about early Roman history (with music!)...)))

- one of the most glorious marriage scenes EVER!

Other important reason to LOVE this film is that any feminist exposed to it will instantly screech in pain, then die and desintegrate into dust, as a vampire in full sunlight...)))

Bottom line, this film is an absolute TREASURE, to buy, watch and keep for ever. Enjoy!
on 3 October 2015
You just can't beat a bit of seven brides for seven brothers. I absolutely love the story and the music. However, the rest of my family can't stand it. I found that I could really wind them up by pausing it ready, then when they entered the room press play on a really catchy song so they found themselves singing along even though they hate it. Ha ha, serves them right for not loving such a quality film.
on 10 February 2016
I love the film, It has humour and lovely dancing and the story is great, like the singing. Amazon probably know it was Cinemascope and not suitable for our TV. The seller has been very good about returning it.

Amazon probably knows our DVD was Cinemascope and not suitable for our TV. However, we have returned it to the seller.
on 25 May 2007
I firstly bought the 2001 version of this 1954 film but was very disappointed in the cinemascope aspect ratio (only filling half my TV screen, even with the zoom enhancement).

In my opinion, this 2 Disc Special Edition is FAR, FAR better. You have the choice of watching either the 1:85 alternate widescreen version or the cinemascope 2:55 version - even this fitted my screen better than the 2001 one. You also have a lot of extra special features.

I would highly recommend purchasing this '2 for the price of 1' version of a very enjoyable film with some great songs.
on 9 January 2004
I recently purchased a used copy of this film from Amazon. I had seen it many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed watching it again. The singing is delightful and the dancing is matchless. Some of the scenery looks rather false and not up to present day standards but, if you can ignore that, the film is well worth watching for the talents of the stars.
VINE VOICEon 28 February 2007
This has to be one of the most entertaining and funniest musicals ever! Many musicals 'attempt' at being funny, but this is simply hilarious! Marvellous choreography combined with some tremendous dance routines - add this to some catchy numbers, and some really great comical scenes, and what you have is a recipe to lift your spirits! Russ Tamblyn in his outstanding career went almost un-noticed in this Picture, but I found him to be at his very best!

A movie to treasure and to delight your heart!

Five stars!