Le Creuset Cast Iron Square Grillit, 26 cm - Cerise
Colour: CeriseChange
Price:£79.20+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 28 October 2011
The heat storing capacity of this grill amazes me. It takes a while to get up to the temperature, but you can feel with the hovering hand that once it does, the heat is evenly radiated. The product is fantastic as you would expect from this brand. The grilling is even on the entire surface, and with little to no smoke.
Easy to clean, dishwasher did the job without pre-soaking.
I was also pleasantly surprised to see that is more "roomy" than at first look. 4 large corn cobs fitted just right, and tasted delicious with that charcoal roast smell (Mmmmyummmy).

The product is on the heavy side, definitely not to be swung around like in the movies (pan action to the head) :) . Worth the price, no doubt about that.

Update after 18 months: it still looks great. I must admit that there is some (semi-)permanent residue in it that does not come off even after scrubbing or dishwasher. So, most often with sausages, it gets fairly smoky. It is still the main grill in the house and we bought a silicone sleeve for the handle as you tend to forget that has the same temperature as the rest of the grill. Still very good evenly distributed heat, but with the added taste of the grill (and smoke). I am keeping it at 5*.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My second foray into the Le Creuset cast iron range was this superb "Grillit" - or griddle-pan to the rest of us! At 26cm, it's big enough to cook one huge beef steak or several smaller items like chicken breasts. It's a good, sturdy pan with a lip on each side to help you pour off the fat and a good sized handle and a helper-handle to facilitate lifting it. As with all cast iron kitchenware, it's VERY heavy, so not something to consider buying unless you know you can cope with the weight. It holds the heat fantastically and takes no time at all to heat up. The secret to cooking a good steak is to thow it into a very hot pan - this grillit makes that very easy as it only really gets very hot - it's not so good at subtle, low temperatures, but then you don't need them in a griddle pan. The granite colouring is very stylish and inside is coated in some form of enamel which helps to stop things sticking. Cleaning it is a breeze - you just take it off of the heat, let it cool for 10 minutes, pour in some water and let it cool completely. Once it's cool you can clean it easily with a brush or just pop it in the dishwasher. Simple! I'm still amazed by the amount of fat which pours out of almost everything I cook using this - it's certainly an eye opener and makes for much healthier cooking.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I'm a fan of La Creuset and after my friend cooked me a steak in her La Creuset Grillit I was so impressed by the juicy, chargrilled flavour of the meat I went out and bought one for myself. I haven't been disappointed.

The heat takes a while to build up but once it does it radiates evenly throughout the base of the pan causing the ridges to get hot enough to leave lovely char lines running across the surface of the food. The height of the ridges means the food is cooking above the bottom of the pan without scorching or sticking plus; excess fat runs out of the meat into the base of the pan leaving the remaining fatty edges crisper. Inner meat is left moist and pink with no sign of drying out or toughness.

I won't use any other pan to cook steak, gammon or chicken portions though chargrilled vegetables (peppers, corn, courgette etc.,) have become an absolute favourite and they look so pretty.

The grillit does create quite a bit of smoke especially on meat products such as sausage which can have quite a high water content but it all adds to the depth of flavour and overall crispy/smokiness of the finished dish.

Any negatives; not really although a slight residue builds up in the base of the pan after a while and it's impossible to remove even in a dishwasher. I'd also advice you to buy a sleeve for the handle because it gets very, very hot and with a pan of this weight you really don't want to risk burning your hand and dropping it!.

Wouldn't be without a grillit especially for steak but if you're vegetarian you'll find this a novel way of creating some tasty, chargrilled veg. dishes packed with crunch and flavour.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I was given one of these as a present and it has rapidly become a kitchen essential. I use it for all meat cooking, reserving my frying pan for delicate fish, rissotto and stir fry (I really should get a wok!). It is also great for grilling vegetables.

As with the entire Le Creuset cast iron range, it is seriously heavy and you will find yourself using the lifting tab that is opposite the handle. But that heaviness delivers consistent heat and you can rely on the entire cooking surface being an even temperature.

The interior is black enamel with ridges to give the char lines that are essential on a tuna steak. Fat will collect in the bottom and with very fatty foods, like sausages, you might need to pour away some fat part-way through the cooking. The lips on either side make this very easy.

Less fatty food will stick to the ridges slightly and if you are used to cleaning a non-stick fry pan by running it under the tap, wiping it with a sponge once and then drying, you need to be ready for a bit more work - both to get bits off the ridges and to pry stuff out of the troughs.

But it is pretty simple - leave it to soak in warm soapy water for 15 minutes then scrub lightly with a pot brush and everything will lift off. It is also dishwasher safe, but I never put pans (or knives) in the dishwasher whatever the manufacturer says, so I can't vouch for that.

If my house burned down and I had to restock my kithen from scratch, this would be one of the cookware essentials near the top of the list - it makes for low-fat cooking of fatty foods without the hassle of using a grill, sears beautifully and looks great left on the hob, with a great range of colours to choose from.

One final tip - shop around. There is always someone somewhere running a special offer on Le Creuset.

Five stars.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 4 November 2004
This pan is great, in my experience the heat is delivered reasonably equally across the surface and once up to heat it really does do a great job of cooking your food.
My only gripe is the metal handle, although needed because it's obviously a very very heavy pan I'd have prefered some heat insulation on the handle. But that's my only gripe, I'm otherwise happy, and once you get out of the habit of moving that pan without a glove on you'll be fine.
on 4 July 2005
Buying this product, you should really know it has no NEED to be non-stick.
Used lighlty with oil the first few cooks, and a special lining that sticks to the grillit, means that you virtually can cook foods without any oil.
Less fat and greasiness when cooking is good, but pan is not dish-washable, though hand washing it not that much of a chore, just clean away the stray particles, and its good to use again.
Making sure you dont scrub too hard and wash away the good pantina lining that is essential with this product, and will help foods not to stick.
on 19 March 2007
An even healthier way to cook and that sturdy ribbed base does indeed give those char-lines which not only help to enhance that mouth-watering aroma whilst cooking, but the ultimate flavour on the plate!
The grooves between the 'ribs' collect the fat, not the food, and the excess can be drained away easily via the pouring lips on either side, making this item also suitable for left or right handed cooks.

I use mine mainly for fillet steak, but I have recently, and successfully, tried the super recipes:

'Coriander Lime Chicken' & 'Grilled Tropical Fruit (with Raspberry Sauce)', from the book entitled, The Cast Iron Way to Cook , by Sue Cutts.

This super book is dedicated to the use of Le Creuset CAST IRON and is divided into chapters covering the various products - including an invaluable section entitled 'GRILLS', which includes advice for using the grill range, with tips on how to achieve those defined sear-lines, the best way to clean up at the end, and more recipes, of course!

Due to the cast handle, this item can be used on the hob-top, in the oven and under the grill.
There is, also, the added bonus of the ASSIST HANDLE, for easier, balanced lifting, but don't forget your oven gloves.
on 23 April 2015
Please see my review for Hunter wellies as everything about their transformative qualities applies to that of my Le Creuset pan. Suddenly the world is a better place. With my beautiful blue pan upon the hob, the sun shines that little bit brighter. The everyday worries and niggles dissipate and suddenly I am transported to an ochre farmhouse in Provence. As I heave my pan off (it is quite heavy) I imagine I am gazing out across the endless lavender fields as they sway gently in the breeze, listening to the laughter of my beautiful children, as they come bustling into my kitchen, laden with baguettes and possibly an array of cold meats. The sun is blazing and I feel a deep-seated contentment, not previously experienced prior to the arrival of my pan. Oh, how I love my pan.

I've also made some great panini with it too (and yes, 'panini' is the correct plural for more than one 'panino', not 'paninis' as I so frequently see. This does fray my nerves somewhat but of course, or 'naturellement' as we say here in Provence, I no longer worry about such trifling minutiae now that I have my Le Creuset pan.) Oh how my panini have been transformed by toasting them in my pan. A dab of olive oil (preferably from the local Tuscan 'mercato' - we're in Italy now - sold to you by a swarthy velvet-voiced Italian with a wicked glint in his eye and a lingering brush of fingers as he hands it over), wiped over the surface with a bit of kitchen towel and left for a few minutes, and hey presto, your panino is finito and perfetto! Any guest will look at you with a new air of respect. Those lines mean quality. Not for you the run-of-the-mill toasted ham and cheese toastie. Oh no. Those lines say that you're a woman who knows what she's doing, you're a woman who matters. But more importantly, THEY matter (your guests. Keep up.) You know what you want and you're prepared to go and get it.

Go on, just buy one. They are lovely lovely lovely! I certainly don't regret buying it (je ne regrette rien). You too could be pirouetting around the kitchen in no time. (Unless you can't afford it. In which case go for a cheaper one then. You shouldn't even be looking at this, too much temptation.)
on 15 October 2003
What a great item. We all know the quality of le creuset cook ware, but this is the icing on the cake. All good cooks and bad ones who are knowledgable about cooking know that the key to a good griddle pan is one which can hold the heat. Being made from cast iron and weighing and absolute tonne (not actually) this pan retains heat like no other. I use mine all the time for steak, lamb, chicken and even cod and other fillets of fish and get great results, even though I'm a novice in the kitchen. So match the colour to the colour of your other pans and purchase, you definately will not be disappointed!
on 11 July 2011
Great tasting food. Not as healthy as ordinary grilling but great for taste. Dishwashes easily and heavy enough to sit solidly on my induction hob but not too heavy to lift. Actually considering getting another.