Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon 4 June 2008
I watched this series when it first came on TV and remembered it as an enjoyable documentary series with CGI dinosaurs and landscapes that looked very real. I thought this might be something that would interest my young children so I bought the DVD. My decision has turned out a very good one as "my brood" is completely hooked on dinosaurs and want to watch the series over and over again.

It has also prompted me to read up more on some of the different species. There appears to be some controversy over size of the different dinosaurs, such as Liopleurodon, but that's not a really big deal for casual enthusiasts like myself. Therefore it is highly recommended for people of similar background in the subject.

The series is narrated by Kenneth Brannagh (my kids couldn't believe it - they only know him as Gilderoy Lockhart from Harry Potter) whose voice is calm yet authoritative. I have put down a brief description of the 6 episodes.

1. "New Blood" - covers the late Triassic (220 million years ago)
Shows the demise of Postosuchus (an archosaur) and the emergence of dinosaurs such as Coelophysis and Plateosaurus

2. "Time of the Titans" - the late Jurassic period (152 million years ago)
The period when giant dinosaurs, like Diplodocus, walked the earth. Predators such as Allosaurus and armoured dinoasaurs such as Stegosaurus are also featured.

3. "Cruel Sea" - also in the late Jurassic (149 million years ago)
Looks at the giant sea predator Liopleurodon, Cryptoclidus and the dolphin-like sea reptile Opthalmosaurus.

4. "Giant of the Skies" - the early Cretaceous period (127 million years ago)
Follows the huge-winged Ornithocheirus flying across the Atlantic. Also features Iguanodon and Utahraptor.

5. "Spirits of the Ice Forest" - the mid Cretaceous period (106 million years ago)
Set in prehistoric Antarctica, featuring Leaellynasaura, Muttaburrasaurus and Koolasuchus.

6. "Death of a Dynasty" the late Cretaceous period (65 million years ago)
Set in Montana, this episode charts the last days prior to the extinction of the dinosaurs. Features the famed T-rex, Triceratops and Ankylasaurus.
on 24 November 2002
"See what you could only imagine before" is how we should take this BBC series. No matter what the paleontologists and critics say, this is a most up-to-date work on this Lost World.
These 6 Episodes take us, the viewers through the Life and Times of these creatures that walked the earth before us. The special effects, with or without footprints, with or without thumping earth-shaking sounds show us enough, with the latest scientific findings, to give us what we could not picture before.
More than that, they have taken pains in their research to "put to Life" the creatures in terrain that were nearest to what the Dinosaurs were roaming in.
The narration by Kenneth Branagh is authoritative and the material is entertaining and educational. No matter that the producers admit to some guess-work, but we know no more than mere fossils and skeletons found anyway. Even some of the Scientists and Paleontologists agree that with the animation, they have new theories of how some of the dinosaurs moved!
A plus for DVD is the picture-in-picture feature that shows some of the behind-the-scenes and explanatory footage. Also on DVD is a second disc of 50-mins documentary showing the "making of".
This is a typical BBC documentary - brilliant. Altogether, a must-buy documentary feature.
0Comment|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 March 2009
When he was 5 my oldest son [now aged 16] was totally absorbed by the BBC TV series "Walking with Dinosaurs". Recently, my youngest son [now also aged 5] got a book on dinosaurs out of the library and showed interest and I decided to purchase the DVD from Amazon. This has entirely supplanted the Wii in his affections and he is to be found sitting in front of the laptop on a Saturday morning in the kitchen in total awe and silence. A great investment in prospect and in the event.
on 11 April 2000
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this, and to think the talent behind this is all from the U.K.(well most of it) it just goes to prove that we've still got what it takes to make fantastic entertaining programmes but retaining educational content, congratulations to all envolved in the production, all I can say is WOW!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 December 2011
I saw this first when it was broadcast and now, with two more dinosaur enthusiasts in the family - aged four and one - I thought this would be a good time to buy this for them. It is one the best series on dinosaurs ever made - the BBC at its excellent best. These two discs have the full series and, between them, they cover a very comprehensive view of all the ages of dinosaurs. Although it is obviously a little out-dated in places as a lot has been learned since it was made but do not let that put you off.

BBC's great series and highly recommended.
on 16 February 2009
I saw this series the first time on BBC, on a standard, colour TV set. I liked it then. But this is something much better! The format in now 16:9, the quality is perfect for modern flat-screen TV viewing. Allthough the content is, as far as I can ascertain, un-altered, this immaculate BBC series provides max entertainment and education for the whole family! The series can be viewed piecemeal or right thu. A real treat!

I bought it on DVD, but now I regret not obtaining the Bluray version! I may still do that! TS
on 22 February 2000
The BBC's 'Walking With Dinosaurs' totally defies classification: a first glance it seems to be a natural history series, with carefully filmed footage and Attenborough-esque narration (provided here by Kenneth Branagh). But there are no live creatures in the series - just models and computer-generated prehistoric animals! The animation gets better with each era covered, and overall the concept can't really be faulted. Watching this video, you realise how far computer technology has come even in the few years since 'Jurassic Park'. Very impressive.
on 3 November 2011
This provides 3 hours of documentary entertainment on two CD's. The first disc presents the 6 episodes of the BBC TV series. That is, the currently understood story of the earth's fauna from before the first dinosaurs over 200 million years ago to their extinction 65 million years ago. With only a little suspension of disbelief one can imagine that the visual presentation really does represent a picture of how it was when these creatures walked the earth. The 6 episodes predominantly cover the creatures that existed during the triassic, jurassic & cretaceous periods & describes the evolutionary changes in dinosaur species that existed at each time. I learnt that for example T-rex only existed during the last part of the cretaceous period; that is just before the dinosaurs (or most of them) became extinct.

The second disc describes the making of the series, but is much more a part of the story than would ever be the case for a programme on contemporary animals. This is because it describes the research which has allowed them to reach their current level of understanding on the age, habitat, diet, size, shape and even movement of each dinosaur species presented. Paleontologists describe their fossil findings and how they date them. Fossils include the bones of predators and their eaten victims as well as skin (in one case), footprints, vegetation and even dung, which allows analysis of their food. Bone analysis allows them to judge such things as the size of blood vessels & muscles and hence the shape and posture of an animal. Computational animators contributed to the debates on how the dinosaurs walked, swam & flew. This is a superb story for adults & children alike; easily worth the 5 stars.
on 1 September 2006
This brought the whole idea of dinosaurs roaming the earth alive for millions of people who previously would never have considered a visit to a museum or a book on the subject. I thought the reviewer who told us how things were "in reality" was pretty funny - was he there?

To those who gave scathingly negative "I-know-better" reviews: As you didn't like it and it was so beneath you, I assume you only watched one episode, so you are not really qualified to review the whole series.

For the rest of us who don't really care whether estimates (and that's all they are) of a dinosaur's size completely agree with other estimates, just enjoy great edutainment at it's best.
on 2 November 2008
Yes ok the science in this series is dubious. Yes ok the narrative is a bit over the top. But my (nearly) 3 year old son is utterly spellbound. If you have a dinosaur obsessed child to buy for, this dvd is the way to go. You might have to watch it first - the music can be a bit scary for the under 5's of a nervous disposition. Dubious science versus cartoons? I'm for dubious science all the way.