5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant introduction to the world of Dinosaurs
Published on 4 Jun 2008 by KN

3.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect quality, it stuttered alot
Found it stuttering on more than a few occassions, which i didnt expect from a brand new dvd disc :/
Published 22 months ago by Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant introduction to the world of Dinosaurs, 4 Jun 2008
KN (Lancs. UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Walking With Dinosaurs - Complete BBC Series [1999] [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this series when it first came on TV and remembered it as an enjoyable documentary series with CGI dinosaurs and landscapes that looked very real. I thought this might be something that would interest my young children so I bought the DVD. My decision has turned out a very good one as "my brood" is completely hooked on dinosaurs and want to watch the series over and over again.

It has also prompted me to read up more on some of the different species. There appears to be some controversy over size of the different dinosaurs, such as Liopleurodon, but that's not a really big deal for casual enthusiasts like myself. Therefore it is highly recommended for people of similar background in the subject.

The series is narrated by Kenneth Brannagh (my kids couldn't believe it - they only know him as Gilderoy Lockhart from Harry Potter) whose voice is calm yet authoritative. I have put down a brief description of the 6 episodes.

1. "New Blood" - covers the late Triassic (220 million years ago)
Shows the demise of Postosuchus (an archosaur) and the emergence of dinosaurs such as Coelophysis and Plateosaurus

2. "Time of the Titans" - the late Jurassic period (152 million years ago)
The period when giant dinosaurs, like Diplodocus, walked the earth. Predators such as Allosaurus and armoured dinoasaurs such as Stegosaurus are also featured.

3. "Cruel Sea" - also in the late Jurassic (149 million years ago)
Looks at the giant sea predator Liopleurodon, Cryptoclidus and the dolphin-like sea reptile Opthalmosaurus.

4. "Giant of the Skies" - the early Cretaceous period (127 million years ago)
Follows the huge-winged Ornithocheirus flying across the Atlantic. Also features Iguanodon and Utahraptor.

5. "Spirits of the Ice Forest" - the mid Cretaceous period (106 million years ago)
Set in prehistoric Antarctica, featuring Leaellynasaura, Muttaburrasaurus and Koolasuchus.

6. "Death of a Dynasty" the late Cretaceous period (65 million years ago)
Set in Montana, this episode charts the last days prior to the extinction of the dinosaurs. Features the famed T-rex, Triceratops and Ankylasaurus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now we see what we could only imagine before..., 24 Nov 2002
"See what you could only imagine before" is how we should take this BBC series. No matter what the paleontologists and critics say, this is a most up-to-date work on this Lost World.
These 6 Episodes take us, the viewers through the Life and Times of these creatures that walked the earth before us. The special effects, with or without footprints, with or without thumping earth-shaking sounds show us enough, with the latest scientific findings, to give us what we could not picture before.
More than that, they have taken pains in their research to "put to Life" the creatures in terrain that were nearest to what the Dinosaurs were roaming in.
The narration by Kenneth Branagh is authoritative and the material is entertaining and educational. No matter that the producers admit to some guess-work, but we know no more than mere fossils and skeletons found anyway. Even some of the Scientists and Paleontologists agree that with the animation, they have new theories of how some of the dinosaurs moved!
A plus for DVD is the picture-in-picture feature that shows some of the behind-the-scenes and explanatory footage. Also on DVD is a second disc of 50-mins documentary showing the "making of".
This is a typical BBC documentary - brilliant. Altogether, a must-buy documentary feature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unsurpassed intro to dinosaurs, 18 Mar 2009
David Heaton (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
When he was 5 my oldest son [now aged 16] was totally absorbed by the BBC TV series "Walking with Dinosaurs". Recently, my youngest son [now also aged 5] got a book on dinosaurs out of the library and showed interest and I decided to purchase the DVD from Amazon. This has entirely supplanted the Wii in his affections and he is to be found sitting in front of the laptop on a Saturday morning in the kitchen in total awe and silence. A great investment in prospect and in the event.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 11 April 2000
By A Customer
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this, and to think the talent behind this is all from the U.K.(well most of it) it just goes to prove that we've still got what it takes to make fantastic entertaining programmes but retaining educational content, congratulations to all envolved in the production, all I can say is WOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars LIFE AS IT WAS, 14 Oct 2009
RAYMOND E. SUMMERLIN "DANCE MAD" (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
great creative animation, it looks realistic enough to have been filmed live........perhaps a time machine does exist and they are not telling us.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of a kind!, 22 Feb 2000
By A Customer
The BBC's 'Walking With Dinosaurs' totally defies classification: a first glance it seems to be a natural history series, with carefully filmed footage and Attenborough-esque narration (provided here by Kenneth Branagh). But there are no live creatures in the series - just models and computer-generated prehistoric animals! The animation gets better with each era covered, and overall the concept can't really be faulted. Watching this video, you realise how far computer technology has come even in the few years since 'Jurassic Park'. Very impressive.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real treat, 16 Feb 2009
Torolf Sogn (Kongsberg, Norway) - See all my reviews
I saw this series the first time on BBC, on a standard, colour TV set. I liked it then. But this is something much better! The format in now 16:9, the quality is perfect for modern flat-screen TV viewing. Allthough the content is, as far as I can ascertain, un-altered, this immaculate BBC series provides max entertainment and education for the whole family! The series can be viewed piecemeal or right thu. A real treat!

I bought it on DVD, but now I regret not obtaining the Bluray version! I may still do that! TS

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, ignore the nit-pickers and negs!, 1 Sep 2006
FunGi (Crawley, West Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
This brought the whole idea of dinosaurs roaming the earth alive for millions of people who previously would never have considered a visit to a museum or a book on the subject. I thought the reviewer who told us how things were "in reality" was pretty funny - was he there?

To those who gave scathingly negative "I-know-better" reviews: As you didn't like it and it was so beneath you, I assume you only watched one episode, so you are not really qualified to review the whole series.

For the rest of us who don't really care whether estimates (and that's all they are) of a dinosaur's size completely agree with other estimates, just enjoy great edutainment at it's best.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great series, 24 Dec 2011
RR Waller "ISeneca" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I saw this first when it was broadcast and now, with two more dinosaur enthusiasts in the family - aged four and one - I thought this would be a good time to buy this for them. It is one the best series on dinosaurs ever made - the BBC at its excellent best. These two discs have the full series and, between them, they cover a very comprehensive view of all the ages of dinosaurs. Although it is obviously a little out-dated in places as a lot has been learned since it was made but do not let that put you off.

BBC's great series and highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy for dinosaur obsessed under 5's, 2 Nov 2008
Yes ok the science in this series is dubious. Yes ok the narrative is a bit over the top. But my (nearly) 3 year old son is utterly spellbound. If you have a dinosaur obsessed child to buy for, this dvd is the way to go. You might have to watch it first - the music can be a bit scary for the under 5's of a nervous disposition. Dubious science versus cartoons? I'm for dubious science all the way.

Walking With Dinosaurs - Complete BBC Series [1999] [DVD]