5.0 out of 5 stars it has been a beautiful nap, but it is time to wake up Pieter..., 29 Nov. 2009
Deven Gadula (san francisco, ca, united states) - See all my reviews
Sleeps With The Fishes is a very unique album. The atmosphere of its music is ambient and listening to it puts you in a meditative drifting away space, but there is a lot going on here. Pieter Nooten was and is a synthesizer genius able to create these beautiful emotional moments by...simple means. Michael Brook brought just as much to this table by the gorgeous production of this album, besides his beautiful guitar sounds we can hear. This was the first album Michael had ever produced and it is done in a very ambient way. Often the sounds and instruments we are used to hearing at the background come forth and take over our attention. One single finger touch of a string instrument adds so much to our experience because the vibration of that string is where Michael directed our focus. That is one of the unique aspects of this production. This entire album is extremely low in tones. To me this music appears as if to belong to some... cellosphere. These consistent low tones add to the ambience left behind. Some of the short instrumentals are almost like echoes or after thoughts, additions to other songs. Pieter's vocal seems to go out of its way to sound as even and uneventful as possible which just adds another layer to the ambience left behind. The overall mood is rather solemn so please make sure that you don't mind spending time inside of such landscapes, and that their atmosphere does not depress you. This is music for people who don't lament or get bored at funerals but attend in festive mood to wish farewell to their deceased. Listening to this album puts you in a perfect space to think about the other side if life. And the more time you spend considering the hidden and unknown the better prepared for it you are, obviously, and the more withdrawn from all those things which start to matter less and less to you.
When Sleeps With The Fishes came out in 1987 a year after Medusa it had only reinforced my feeling of where a lot of magic of the first two albums of Clan If Xymox was coming from. There was no place for Pieter in the new then commercial stage of Xymox of the following years. I have a feeling that staying for too long in the situation not complementary to the growth of his musical spirit might have caused its... withdrawal and subsequent absence. I am sorry Pieter, but looking at this situation from the outside, while listening to Sleeps With The Fishes one can't help reflecting on the past 22 years. I have not missed the greatness of this album from the start, but it does seem unfortunate that in 2009 we still have to be focused so much on that single event. Again, I have a feeling that if I was evaluating this album back in 1987 and looking forward, my prediction would have been better yet work coming to us from the genius of Pieter Nooten. I do like Ourspace a lot but I would not be surprised at all if we still saw an outburst of great work coming out of you again. Your old friend Frank Weyzig in collaboration with Carlo Van Putten is about to surprise us with an amazing album of White Rose Transmission - Collector Of Souls in a few months. Perhaps 2010 might be a perfect time for you as well?

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the finest Vocal/Ambient album ever made., 19 Aug. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Sleeps With The Fishes (Audio CD)
Pieter Nooten hails from 80's Goth band "Clan Of Xymox". This particular release however, bares little resemblance to his earlier work. Helping Pieter with the recording is Canadian guitar virtuoso, Michael Brook. Although, perhaps not a household name, he is the inventor of "The Infinite Guitar" and has had a significant influence on many of todays most popular guitarists, such as U2's, The Edge. Sleeps with the fishes was originally released in 1987 and re-released in 1993, and remains to this day a beautifully crafted and arranged work by two very underappreciated artists.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most heart touching beautifull music you ever heard!, 21 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Sleeps With The Fishes (Audio CD)
Although I had heard the likes of Cocteau twins, Dead Cab Dance & also Clan of Zymox years ago in the 80's I han not found Peiter Nootens solo music until a few years ago - But WOW! I am glad I did!

Although some may find some of the music a little dark in places I think 'MANY people will find that the peace 6 tranquility definatly shines through & is just amazing "therapy" if you like to call it that to bring one back to a blissfull calm, great if lifes everyday of ten stresses you out! - Im sure if you put this music on & rest your eyes within 2 minutes flat you will be unable to feel stressed anymore!

Try it its just amazing! This is definalty a full marks for music tranquility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and deep, 11 Mar. 2004
Tim Tyler (Boston, USA.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sleeps With The Fishes (Audio CD)
More instrumental than vocal this dark masterpiece of a recording is heavy on cellos and oboes, creating a fine
musical texture.

It's unobtrusive - almost ambient - music but still manages to get in some good melodies and mysterious vocal lines, and shows many signs of substantial musical attention to detail.

Some of the same songs as on Pieter's "Clan of Xymox" material - but the sound is completely different, due to all the strings and natural instruments used.

I first got this when it came out on record - and I still rate it very highly.

While the best bits /are/ very good - a fair bit of the album sounds like "filler" material - but I guess that's sometimes the way of things.

5.0 out of 5 stars To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure., 19 April 2014
This review is from: Sleeps With The Fishes (Audio CD)
Sleeps With The Fishes (get the title right, Amazon!)

This record is for me easily the best thing 4AD ever put out (with the possible exception of the b-side of Pump Up The Volume by M/A/R/R/S).

I always liked bits of This Mortal Coil but to listen to any of their albums in full is like eating Christmas cake - I think Ivo put a lot of thought and work into those records but it's just too rich sometimes. Sleeps With the Fishes has a lot of similarities with This Mortal Coil - some great strings, some amazing use of electronics. But it's just better on every level - it's darker (especially the opening track) and the film music thing that Brook brings to it opens the compositions out into widescreen. Very, very interesting stuff - not the work of talented amateurs. No surprise that Brook went on to do some big Hollywood stuff after this.

Highly recommended. I believe the edition here is a reissue but I only have the digital download so there's not much way of knowing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Feb. 2015
Art S. (Eastbourne, England) - See all my reviews
Thanks

Sleeps With The Fishes
Sleeps With The Fishes by Peter Nooten (Audio CD - 2011)
Click for more info