4.0 out of 5 stars Fine'n'Dandy
Published on 13 April 2005 by Lozarithm

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear oh dear
As a big fan of the first Elastica album, I waited with baited breath for the second. After hearing the release "Mad Dog" I thought "Wahaay, its another cracking album". Unfortunately the rest of the album can't live up to the standards we have come to expect from Elastica.
The result is an album with a couple of good tracks, but mainly filled...
Published on 6 Feb 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear oh dear, 6 Feb 2001
This review is from: The Menace (Audio CD)
The result is an album with a couple of good tracks, but mainly filled with simple indie-pop tracks that make you feel you could have done a better job of them yourself.
And it all ends with a cover of the classic 80's "Da da da" originally by "Trio". I'll let you decide for yourself what to make of that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on their first album, 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Menace (Audio CD)
But then that's hardly surprising as it was a Britpop classic. That said, it has a few interesting tracks and for less than a fiver it's nice to hear Justine's voice again

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine'n'Dandy, 13 April 2005
Lozarithm (Wilts, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Menace (Audio CD)
After a hit first album, which remains a classic and great favourite, there was a five-year gap before the follow-up arrived in 2000. Studio perfectionists, after some eventful years of work, they had ditched the lot and re-recorded the bulk of the album in a few weeks, only to see the album flop upon release. A tour followed in which the band felt they were regularly blown off stage by the support act, Peaches, who was accompanied only by a beat box, so, considering wryly their banks of equipment and teams of support, they split up.

I suppose the market must have changed after the first record, because the music is still fine, highly entertaining in fact. I had been surprised not to come across it in second-hand shops - perhaps those who did buy it had hung on to it. Justine Frischmann and Elastica are much missed and needed at the present time

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back Justine and co., 9 April 2000
R. LUFF (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Menace (Audio CD)
Well, 5 years since the debut, this is the perfect 2nd album. More balls(sic), some nifty keyboard work and a welcome return of Annie on bass. We've missed you Justine and co. and by gum, are we glad your back. It's put my faith back in music - call it indie or whatever you like but it's a welcome distraction from the BLAND pop charts of today. Stand out tracks : How We Wrote Elastica Man (gimme me an E..E! gimme and L...L!, etc) Miami Nice, Your Arse My Place (complete with Justine's trademark "1-2-3!") and my fave My Sex. 45 minutes of pure brilliance. Buy it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the wait, 2 Sep 2000
This review is from: The Menace (Audio CD)
I loved this first album, but its 2000 now not 1995. There are a couple of good tracks, but ultimately it's a big disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sit up, Shut up and Listen . . . . . . . . . . . again!, 22 April 2003
This review is from: The Menace (Audio CD)
Not Elastica, Elastica I grant you but its better than good.
The five-year interlude between that album and Menace shows.
The spiky guitars are still there, but the departure of Donna Matthews and the arrival of new influences are clear. Elastica are now more mature without losing any of their shut up and listen edge.
Track 1, Mad Dog, the only single from this album alludes to the great stuff of the mid 90’s. Whilst Track 3, Elastica Man, with it’s chant of E.L.A.S.T.I.C.A shoves its self in your face shouting “Remember us!” And just when you think you’ve got this album’s card marked Track 11, My Sex, happens. The quiet beautiful voice of Frischmann in this melancholy song of things lost evokes all of the turmoil between 1995 and 2000.
Elastica arrived just when we, and Britpop, needed them most in ’95 and five years later they sign off with an album that means we wont forget their contribution.
In short its great.
Elastica, over and out!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great. . . but still sets the pulse racing, 19 April 2000
This review is from: The Menace (Audio CD)
About half the tracks on this album are good, (Mad dog, Generator, How he wrote Elastica Man, Nothing Stays the Same, A love like Ours, Da da da). The rest seem to be there to pad out the album. I was disappointed that 5 tracks are taken from the "6 track-ep", but they have been polished up nicely. The strange thing is that although this isn't a great album (as their first certainly was) there is still a certain something about Elastica which sets the pulse racing. The b-sides on Elastica's first 4 singles were superb, and maybe that is all part of the learning process, when you're knocking out really ace songs don't throw 'em away on the arse side of singles, 'cos then when it comes to writing the next album you'll just have to start from scratch. Still good, I await the new line-ups next offering with great hope (apparently they've been laying down some stuff to put with the new single. . . I'll be buying that when it arrives)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous., 27 Aug 2002
LM Woodhouse "Lisa" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Menace (Audio CD)
I admit that ''The Menace'' is very mix-and-match, what with the electronic punk of ''Generator'', ''Your Arse My Place'' and ''How He Wrote...'' contrasting horrifically with the Portishead-esque tones of ''My Sex'', ''Image Change'' and ''Human''. I admit that ''Da Da Da'' is among the least impressive songs Elastica ever performed. I admit that ''The Way I Like It'' seems to disappear in the breeze, and that ''KB'' is a mess.
But this is one of my favourite albums, I love every moment of sound therein. Each track makes me smile, excluding ''My Sex'' which fills my soul with its sultry bassline and rising crescendo and makes me want to cry.
''The Menace'' is, as has been discussed, very different from ''Elastica'', and fans hoping for more of the same style of music really did not expect such a varied bundle of ambience and electronicness. But this album is, in my opinion, not only just as good as the first, but miles better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Five years could have been spend better, 5 Dec 2000
This review is from: The Menace (Audio CD)
Five years after their astonishing debut album this one arrives. The first album really blow me off my feet. This one is really disappointing compared to that one. It good though, but the best songs from this one, would be mediocre songs on their debut. Elastica is still a great band, but should have made more effort than this.

3.0 out of 5 stars welcome back, 5 Jun 2000
This review is from: The Menace (Audio CD)
The second coming of the pop group I still lovin' (after so many silence years I keep listening to the their great debut album) rebirth with a new noisy/pop sound (sonic youth/pavement oriented) not very creative, and far miles and miles from their adaptation of the classic "Wire sound". However The album is pleasant also because all the new tracks remember me pop groups i love. Examples? Many songs are an early B-52 sound, others are huggy bear/bikini kill's covers, some mix the electronic pop of the 80's with the noise of the 90's: this their best album result: the gourgeous nostalgia of the trio's "da da da". A curiosity: nobody imports this album in Italy. A menace?

ARRAY(0xabdacca8)

The Menace
The Menace by Elastica (Audio CD - 2000)