5.0 out of 5 stars Never been back on the shelf in 2 years listening!, 30 April 2002
This review is from: Journey Inwards (Audio CD)
I bought this record being a fan of drum and bass and especially the output from Bukems Good Looking Records. I was initially familiar with some of the breakbeats, but others were new to me. What came over was a record that uses DnB as just one reference and blends in jazz and soul influences that I have since sought out in themselves. This record is continually different and fresh, with orchestral instruments, organs, complex beats and simple beats, double bass and sub-bass, vocals and no vocals, short tracks and long tracks. I have found it impossible to characterize or catagorize. It is beautiful to listen too yet definitely not easy listening or chillout, this is music that cuts accross all the boundaries of my collection.
I see from the number of comments that maybe this hasn't had the exposure it deserves (and no Mercury either). Probably it will become a rare groove classic like so much that influenced Bukem, but that would be a shame since there are many people who if they could only hear this album would love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Solo Production From GLO's Pioneer......, 26 July 2004
This review is from: Journey Inwards (Audio CD)
Having been a keen follower of LTJ Bukem and the GLO label productions, I immediately bought Bukem's latest solo effort; Journey Inwards. It certainly is a journey inwards. This double CD is an atmospheric, intelligent and highly instrumental piece of work that draws upon many musical influences and sees LTJ Bukem feature a number of live instrumental performances. Moving away from the ambient jungle/drum & bass beats that he is more associated with and on to a more down tempo, progressive, 'Earth' type sound, Journey Inwards features live percussions, atmospheric backrounds, jazzy samples and yet retains that innate progressive element present in all of Bukem's work. Particular favourites of mine are 'Sunrain', an amazingly uplifting, instrumental and harmonious tune that features brilliantly soulful vocals from guest singer, Elliot, 'Undress Your Mind' and 'Suspended Space' which both have a slightly higher tempo, and 'Unconditional Love'. I must also say that these have been picked forcefully and those who appreciate LTJ Bukem will appreciate this album. All of it.
The tracks all flow nicely together with one or two breaks for variation and the listener is literally transported on a journey inwards through music and Bukem's many musical influences. As always with the crisp productions from LTJ and the GLO label you get the feeling that you are listening to a quality production and not simply a collection of average tunes and remixes slapped together to make some cash. Furthermore (as, I suppose you should expect from a new solo album) there are no inclusions of previous releases and previously heard tracks which makes for an even more refreshing listen and something that is admittedly unusual for the GLO label.
In conclusion I must say that this is an excellent solo production and a must have for any listener of LTJ Bukem and the Good Looking Organisation. Journey Inwards would also make for an ideal introduction to one of my favourite artists.
"If you like this try: LTJ Bukem: Producer 01"

5.0 out of 5 stars atmospheric ambient music by LTJ Bukem, 6 Nov 2009
Deven Gadula (san francisco, ca, united states) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Journey Inwards (Audio CD)
Drum and Bass or Techno are the kinds of music I stay away from. Consistent and regular beat really turns me off and it has been this way forever. I love rock but I dislike rock'n'roll for the same reason. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I don't like to be told what to do or think and that is exactly the feeling I get when I hear consistent repetitive drum as the major force driving the music. About 8 years ago I was searching for music similar to Kruder & Dorfmeister's K&D sessions, which I love, and following somebody's recommendation on Amazon.com I ended up buying this double album. Music of Journey Inwards is excellent. Yes, there is a regular, repetitive drum beat in here but the strength of the atmosphere created by other sounds pushes it into the background on a lot of songs. This music has a strong atmospheric layer which plays a major role here. LTJ Bukem develops and transforms moods with real mastery. There is a definite 21st century feel to this music, as well as lightness of air it surrounds you with. I love sticking one of these CDs into my 5cd changer and playing it with a mix of completely different music. After listening to this double album for a couple of years I started searching for other similar music by LTJ Bukem but I have to say honestly that I was not successful. I got his Logical Progression and was turned off by it very quickly. Relaying on someone's opinion I ended up buying (not an easy task to get them on discs) his Earth series. I bought 4 of them and returned them as well. To me the difference between the music of Journey Inwards and other music of LTJ Bukem I listened to is substantial. I have no problems seeing that some people may like all of it. Once again, I don't like techno but I love ambient music and that is the reason I love this double album. There is great ambience in this music and the techno elements although noticeable, stay subdued. My favorite tracks here are Watercolors, Rhodes To Freedom, Point Of View, Viewpoint, Suspended Space, Unconditional Love, Feel What You Feel and I don't like the beginning track very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Album That Shows Off A Very Talented Producer., 30 July 2013
Solar Fox (Where dawn and dusk takes place) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Journey Inwards (Audio CD)
LTJ Bukem founded the Good Looking Records label and has used his judgement and fine ears to pass on some of the best liquid/intelligent/jazzy drum'n bass and down tempo tracks for his label. With many years experience of the summery, mellow side to jazzy dnb he had finally brought forward this fine album.

Journey Inwards is a variety of beautiful sounding jazz fusions and breakbeats. There's something for everyone on this album and over repeated listens you'll find that you like more on the double cds than when you first listened. They grow on you and instill a deep cosmic sound of jazziness and musical enlightenment. This album demonstrates a man that knows his stuff from a variety of musical genres old and new, and knows exactly how to switch and shift change when needed.

LTJ's productions have always been soul satisfying and a pleasure to the ears. This album is the finely tuned result of a man's experience and perfectionism to make your soul and mind take notice in a deep and gratifying way. Spend some time with this excellent album to appreciate one of the best talents in electronic music in general as well as drum'n bass for what he is most famous for.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Desert Island Disc, 10 May 2012
Amazon Customer (Burntisland, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Journey Inwards (Audio CD)
If I was going to be shipwrecked on a desert island and could only take one piece of music with me, this would be it!

It never fails to bring on a happy mellow mood; driving to work, chillin at home, or sitting on the beach drinking a cool one and watching the sun sink down.

If you like intelligent flowing groove with your beats, this one is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Master, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Journey Inwards (Audio CD)
Still sounds fresh today, really ambient and atmospheric with some well inlayed jazzy bits alongside some great breaks - top CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars the album of the milenium, 26 Mar 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Journey Inwards (Audio CD)
what can you say about this product,stunning best sums it up.bukem has come up with a double cd that consists of laidback smooth beats to amazingy tight jungle with a beutiful ambient,jazzy twist.if you have good taste in music or looking for something that will leave speechless buy this now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blissed out beats - superb!!, 9 Jan 2002
This review is from: Journey Inwards (Audio CD)
After buying this album over 2 years ago, I still listen to it on a regular basis and marvel at its conent. Basically, this album is not for those who want to go crazy and listen to some hard drum and bass/jungle, it's more instrumental and chilled out (in my opinion). I love all the different instruments used and the funky jazzy feel to it, VERY VERY listenable!!!!!!!! I'm not feeling too creative to write an in depth review, but I would definately recommend to anyone, you will not regret buying this album I assure you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Journey Inwards Ltj Bukem, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: Journey Inwards (Audio CD)
i absolutely adore this album - so happy that someone had it in stock... love, love, love, love love.. (oh, oh... ONE more word required before i can submit my comment..... LOVE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality !!, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Journey Inwards (Audio CD)
One of my favourite CD's of all time - one of those CD's you just get lost in the music, love the vibe!!

Journey Inwards
Journey Inwards by L.T.J. Bukem (Audio CD - 2000)