4.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous, but...
Published on 30 May 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Riverdanceless
Published on 23 May 2006 by K. Roth

4.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous, but..., 30 May 2004
By A Customer
I like "Riverdance" very much, as much for Bill Whelan's marvellous score (which is where "Riverdance" scores over Michael Flatley's "Lord of the Dance") as for the dancing. I also much prefer Colin Dunne, largely because I find ultra-egoist Michael Flatley difficult to take, marvellous dancer that he is. The problem is twofold. First, that dreadful editing, which doesn't allow one to see the dancers at their best. Second is the bizarre chapter divisions on the DVD, which prevents you from cutting to your favourite bit, without having to resort to fast forward. For example, if you want to see the wonderful "Trading taps" routine, one of the show's highlights, you have to wade through the boring, pretentious "Feed their hearts" singalong. Ditto, you have to dig for the dazzling number by the Moscow Folk Ballet (I'm sure these people aren't human, like the rest of us). However, if you can live with these shortcomings, it's wonderfully entertaining.

1.0 out of 5 stars Riverdanceless, 23 May 2006
K. Roth (BARNET UK) - See all my reviews
I saw Riverdance live in the UK and this comes no where near what you would expect. It has been very badly edited. If it's a large group of dancers you need to see all of them to get the full effect of group dancing, zooming in on the waist line of one dancer does not do it. Many times when a distance shot was required you found that the view was too close to the dancers to really see what they were doing. Zoom in. Zoom out, Zoom in Zoom out, Zoom in, Zoom out, Oh please will you keep the camera still. I sat through it all hoping it would improve, it did not. A VERY BORING VERSION OF WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN AN AMAZING SHOW.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining - but not worth buying., 15 Mar 2002
By A Customer
I love Riverdance! I saw the stage show in London 6 times. It is the most wonderful, exhilarating experience. I have no doubt that to have been in New York for this performance, amongst an understandably excited crowd, would have been magical. I have all the available recorded versions.
But the camera work/direction on this version is probably the worst of all the versions I now have on film/tape/DVD. It falls into the obvious trap of failing to give the sense of 'scale' - and all too frequently gives head and shoulders/torso shots when the action is so clearly with the feet. In particular, the 'running taps' routines - as with many of the most animated dances - are lost to clumsy editing and poor choice of shots.
Riverdance is an intensely emotional experience that is driven by the animation, energy, skill and expertise of the dancers. The dancers here are no less talented than all the other versions available. But most of that action takes place from the hips down and, gorgeous as Jean Butler is and handsome and passionate as Colin Dunne is, that ain't where it's all happening.
If you are a fan of Riverdance. you'll want to make sure your collection is complete. But you won't be buying this for its technical excellence or because you can appreciate the dance as it should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful! This video shows the best in Irish dancing., 6 Sep 2000
By A Customer
Filmed live in radio City Music Hall in NY, this video is the second attempt to present Riverdance on the VHS tape and in my opinion, fairly overtakes the first version. With graceful Jean Butler and fantastic Colin Dunne starring, the ambiance is unforgettable. The show mixes delicate moods of Irish slip jigs and songs with lively step pieces and passionate flamenco dancing. The scene and costumes constantly change to reflect the mood and the music by Bill Whelan is overwhelming. 5 stars, undoubtedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riverdance 1995, 29 Jan 2005
This review is from: Riverdance: The Show [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This video is one of the best I have ever seen. I have had it since 1995 and keep watching it at least 3 times a year. My family, my daughters and grandchildren alike, ask me to put it on as they are mesmerised (as am I) by the timing and endless dancing of the Riverdance group particularly the lead dancers (Michael Flatley and Jean Butler). The combined Irish music and dancing make you have goosepimples when the actual Riverdance begins. I would recommend it to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Riverdance? Really? Where's the dancing?, 1 Oct 2011
I saw the very first public performance of Riverdance at the 1994 Eurovision Song Contest in Dublin, Republic of Ireland. I was an immediate convert and have been an avid fan ever since and own at least 6 of the various Riverdance DVD's currently available.

However, I agree with most of the other reviewers' comments concerning this DVD of the performance at Radio City in New York.

It is not one complete performance of the show at Radio City, it is actually made up of different performances of the show at the Music Hall and the editing is really quite nauseating and will have your head spinning and I am speaking as an avid fan and defender of the show.

This is definitely the worst available performance of the show on DVD, not in terms of bad casting or choreography which is as highly professional and of the highest standards as it always is, but simply in terms of the very poor editing which is very erratic and too focused on individual close-ups instead of showing wider shots of the complete cast and performance on the stage as you would see it if you were actually in the audience.

The only "saving grace/s" are some of the outstanding performances such as the "Tap-off" and the performance of "Lift The Wings" by Morgan Crowley and Katie McMahon which is absolutely outstanding, very moving and is unquestionably the best ever performance of this piece and is the only reason that I purchased this DVD in spite of the poor editing.

The intense emotion, affection and chemistry between Morgan Crowley and Katie McMahon during this song is unmistakably obvious, very real and certainly not solely due to being exceptional actors and it will reach out and "touch your heart" even if you are not the world's biggest Riverdance fan and so in my opinion, this DVD is worth purchasing just for the performance of this song between Crowley and McMahon.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mezmorising DVD, 27 Feb 2010
L. M. Horne (Worcestershire) - See all my reviews
What can I say about this DVD? I had it on VHS & wore it out so I had to replace it, it is obvious that the picture quality is improved, but as someone who has seen Riverdance live twice I can honestly say it really does feel like you are actually sat in the audience at Radio City. With outstanding dancing from the show's original female lead, Jean Butler & awe-inspiring solo dances from Michael Flatley's replacement, the legendary Colin Dunne I can honestly say that I could not possibly recommend this DVD more highly if I tried! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what I wanted, 6 Feb 2009
G. Couch (UK) - See all my reviews
I love Riverdance and this DVD is a fair version, however it is snipets of different shows at Radio City Theatre, why can't I find a DVD of Riverdance that shows the whole performance from one concert? And the quality of the picture is a bit grainy too, but it doesn't spoil it really, I thoroughly enjoyed the DVD but it could be so much better.

4.0 out of 5 stars River Dance Live IFrom New York, 4 May 2009
A. Ward (England) - See all my reviews
Really enjoyable, just wish the focus was more on the full stage and less on individuals to get the impact of the dancing.

5.0 out of 5 stars RIVERDANCE - Live from NYC (dvd), 28 Dec 2009
Full of action and great dancing. A no-miss for anyone who likes any form of the Irish Jig.

Riverdance: The Show [VHS]
Riverdance: The Show [VHS] by John McColgan (VHS Tape - 2000)