5.0 out of 5 stars cherished childhood memories
Published on 23 Nov 2007 by Ms. N. Boden

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
I can not play this DVD due to it being the wrong region
Published 1 month ago by sarah

5.0 out of 5 stars cherished childhood memories, 23 Nov 2007
Ms. N. Boden "04nbod" (merseyside,england) - See all my reviews
I remember my fifth birthday more vividly than any other from my youth. It was on that birthday my godmother bought me peter pan and snow white on VHS. To watch this movie again is like revisiting so many happy memories of wishing peter would come and take me away. It is true Disney magic. It has all of disney's trademarks from the time, beautiful hand drawn animation (that has been colour graded to make it look even better) and catchy songs that have become part of everyday cultural knowledge. I would advise anyone to get this for their child or teen or better yet buy it for yourself and relive days gone by like i did.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Come fly with me....", 27 Feb 2007
Robert Morris (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
NOTE: As of this moment, the Two-Disc Platinum Edition of Peter Pan is in limited distribution (I have seen it) and most of the reviews that appear now refer to an earlier version. The Two-Disc Platinum Edition version can be pre-ordered from Amazon and Borders and offers new special features which include a restored original theatrical soundtrack all-new digital restoration with enhanced picture and sound, "Camp Never Land: Explore Never Land" with all-new multi-level games, deleted songs, a feature during which Walt Disney explains "Why I Made Peter Pan," "The Peter Pan Story: 1952" featurette, a sneak peek of the all-new Tinker Bell movie, another feature "You Can Fly: The Making of Peter Pan," a T-Squad music video: "The Second Star to the Right," a Peter Pan virtual flight, Peter's Playful Prank DVD storybook, and a never-before-seen alternate opening.

Over the years, I have seen various versions of this delightful film and enjoy it at least as much now as I did when it was first released in 1953. On several occasions, I have also visited Disneyland and vividly recall the excitement of the ride when my companions and I departed the children's bedroom and flew above London at night en route to Neverland. The so-called "magic kingdom" is more a state-of-mind than a location because the genius of Walt Disney and his associates is that, in ways and to an extent no one else ever has, they activate and engage imagination. This is especially true of this film that, unlike most of the other animation features, involves a journey by air as well as by land. Literally, one's imagination soars above and beyond human concerns, at least for 77 minutes.

Unlike other Disney villains (e.g. Honest John and Stromboli in Pinocchio, the Queen/Witch in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs), Captain Hook is at least as amusing as he is threatening. The fate of the Darling children is never really in doubt. We know that eventually, theirs will be a safe return to their home and family. (I had no such confidence - as a child -- when first viewing Dumbo, Pinocchio, and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.) Although for most of us, "there is no place like home," we enjoy and appreciate opportunities to travel far and wide - at least in our imagination - and become involve in adventures of various kinds, as the Darling children do.

Those who already have an earlier version of Peter Pan can continue to enjoy it, of course, but at least some of them will welcome this Two-Disc Platinum Edition because of all of its special features, previously unavailable. I only wish other DVDs offered special features of comparable variety, quality, and entertainment value.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful classic that we never tire of watching, 4 Feb 2009
We bought it for a xmas present as we had been to see Peter Pan in panto, and it has been a huge hit with my 4 year old boy. He has watched it over and over and over again and is a mesmersied as the first time he saw it. Such a lovely film, just the right length to keep little ones captivated without too much fidgeting! A wonderful and much loved classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Movie!, 14 Nov 2004
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The children in the Darling family love story about Peter Pan. So naturally when he shows up one night looking for his missing shadow, they're thrilled to go back with him to Never Land. There, they face Indians and "the world's most famous crook," Captain Hook. Will they survive their adventures with the boy who never wants to grow up?
I have always had a fascination with this story. As a kid I remember checking the Disney picture book version out of the library week after week. When I finally got to see it, I was enthralled. There is just something magical about the story. It's partially the coming together of all the boyhood adventures in one place. Mermaids, Indians, and Pirates? What more could any boy want? And, of course, the ability to fly. The "You can fly" sequence over London is one of my all time favorites. The whole movie really is animated very well with a story that movies quickly from place to place with lots of humor to keep everyone entertained and gorgeous animation of the fanciful Never Land.
This special edition is worth tracking down. The picture (original full frame) is sharp and the surround sound is very nice. Extras include a documentary on the making of the movie and a promotional theatrical featurette from the original release. The "audio commentary" is unique. Hosted by Roy Disney, it consists of selections from interviews of the voice talent, live action models, animators, and animation historians. While not your usual commentary, it's fascinating stuff and well worth a listen. Finally, there's a treasure hunt game and DVD storybook for kids.
This movie still brings a smile to my face and probably always will. Maybe my friends are right when they say I love this movie so much because I always wanted to be Peter Pan.

5.0 out of 5 stars MAY WE NEVER GROW UP!, 12 Oct 2009
C. Porter (England) - See all my reviews
This film was made the year I was born, and yet over fifty years later it still has a timelessness that works even though cartoon films have advanced so much over the years with pixar and soundtracks and storylines.

A classic story of childhood and dreams and adventure and all packaged in Disney's memorable fashion that brings all the film flooding back to you even though you may not have seen it in years.

Definitely one to add to the collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - classic!, 28 Feb 2009
Mr. P. E. Judge "ppalacej" (Ipswich, UK) - See all my reviews
Still marvellous after so many years! My 3 year old loved it and is always playing at pirates!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Peter Pan DVD, 25 Feb 2009
J. Egan "Moleadot" (UK) - See all my reviews
My 4 year old son has absolutely fallen in love with this film. Despite the success of introducing him to more complex and intricate CGI animated films (Walle, Kung Foo Panda, Toy story etc) his ultimate favourite is this old fashioned cartoon 2D sketch animation from the archives of Disney. Thus proving that they don't make em like they used to. The themes from this film (sense of family, adventure of childhood) are still as relevant today as they have always been.

5.0 out of 5 stars peter pan, 1 Feb 2009
Mrs. S. Buck "m_buck" (norfolk) - See all my reviews
excellent film. bought for my daughter, she loved it. was glued to the television until it ended.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 20 Jan 2003
fields21 "fields21" (Hoogerheide, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peter Pan (Disney) [VHS] [1953] (VHS Tape)
Why are old Disney's some much better than more recent ones? Because much more is left to your imagination and the action is less fast and less aggressive. Also, verbal cracks and jokes are much more in abundance.
Peter Pan's definetely one of the best Disney movies. The plot is great, the characters are convincing (even Tinkerbell) and emotions are never over-the-top or sacharine. There's enough action in it to keep you spellbound (even at 33!!).
The great thing about is that the whole story makes completely sense in the eyes of many a kid (I have 3). It feeds on their imagination & still expects them to make clever judgements.
Enough said, it's a good story, brilliantly drawn. Modern day kids still love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 3 May 2011
This movie was liked very much by my 3 years old son. It was a present for his birthday and he enjoyed a lot the fantastic world of Neverland!
He was able to understand and follow the storytale without problem. What I like is also the fact that it really for everyone because there are no scenes that may scare little children.

Peter Pan (Disney) [VHS] [1953]
Peter Pan (Disney) [VHS] [1953] by Wilfred Jackson (VHS Tape - 1993)
3.87