5.0 out of 5 stars This album will knock your hat off!, 3 Mar 2003
D. M. Farmbrough "Dave Farmbrough" (Wisconsin, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Age Of Consent (Audio CD)
This is more than a re-issue of Bronski Beat's debut album, because some remixes taken from the Hundreds and Thousands LP.
Smalltown Boy is a poignant story about a young man leaving home and parents who can't understand homosexuality, whereas Why? is a HI-NRG rant against discrimination and hatred apparently based on the story of one of the band's friends. Ain't Necessarily So is a brilliant re-working of the Gershwin classic, whereas the other, non-single tracks each have enough oomph in them to be singles. Junk sees Jimi using the lower end of his vocal range, and is comparable to Steinski & Mass Media's I'll Be Right Back (popular at the time). The best version of I Feel Love is of course the one with Marc Almond which is inspired in its incorporation of Donna Summer's Love To Love You Baby and John Leyton's Johnny Remember Me.
It would be easy to pigeonhole the Bronskis as a 'gay group' but there is much more to them than that. The superb musicianship of Steve Bronski and Larry Steinbacheck puts them in a class of their own in terms of 1980s synthesiser music, and the crunchy sounding square-waves still sound fresh nearly twenty years later. The lyrical sophistication and idiosyncratic singing of Jimi Somerville lifts this up above its contemporaries, telling a story that needed to be told and still holds up today. Mike Thorne's production also deserves a mention as he hits the right balance between vocal and instrumental prominence. The remixes are just superb, particularly Why, with its kettledrum solo being one of the best extended versions I have heard.
My only regret is that they didn't accept my offer to take over from Jimi Somervile when he left!

5.0 out of 5 stars music I lived my life to, 21 April 2009
This review is from: The Age Of Consent (Audio CD)
Bronski Beat are long overdue acknowledgement. They were openly gay and sang about it whilst other performers of the time remained in the closet or gave their songs of male love to women to perform.

I cannot have been the only gay teenager newly arrived in London in the eighties who felt that 'Smalltown Boy' had been written about me! It is easy to forget now that the small battles that groups like BB fought enabled society to find ways of being more tolerant and accepting of difference in others.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for everyone's CD collection, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Age Of Consent (Audio CD)
Bought the album when it was first released and therefore, it was a must to have it in my CD collection.
Still sounds as new, fresh and exciting as, it was the first time I played it on my stereo all those years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars good music, 18 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Age Of Consent (Audio CD)
It was good to be able to replace an old record. Thanks - great listening

4.0 out of 5 stars Who knew?, 3 Aug 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Age Of Consent (Audio CD)
I was unaware of the Bronski Beat until recently. I happened to be watching a film and their music was part of the film. Once I heard it I was hooked. It's great 80's dance music with a gay twist. I loved it. I can just imagine how many young gay men thrived on this in the 80's. Thanks for the re-release.

The Age Of Consent
The Age Of Consent by Bronski Beat (Audio CD - 2000)