5.0 out of 5 stars What an extraordinary compilation of funky tracks!
Published on 6 April 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars WELL, I GOT FOOLED AGAIN....
I have found another funk compilation that sounds, flat, one dimensional, hollow, depthless, strangely uniform, `mono' and pushed into the background. It is now time to name names and to get this issue to the people who are issuing this stuff.

Published 23 months ago by Syd

5.0 out of 5 stars What an extraordinary compilation of funky tracks!, 6 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Stax of Funk: the Funky Truth (Audio CD)
Ace Records has done it again! This CD is but one in a long line of funky compilations excavating and reissuing tons of old, out-of-print, and occasionally never-before-released funk singles from the 1960's and '70's, and it's a scorcher from start to finish! Beginning with 'Do Me' by Jean Knight (refreshingly not 'Mr. Big Stuff') the groove starts to build, moving on to 'Watch The Dog That Brings The Bone' by Inez Foxx, and culminating in what - for me - is the standout track: Rufus Thomas' scorcher 'Funky Hot Grits'. It sounds like the musicians are having so much fun laying down these tracks that the entire CD just puts a smile on my face. Anyone into the rare groove scene and compilations by BBE, Harmless, and Ace Records will enjoy this disc immensely. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars ...Not bad..., 4 Aug 2007
M. Stasiak "audiophile" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stax of Funk: the Funky Truth (Audio CD)
...seemingly like all funk compilations,a third of the tracks are fresh, funky and fit the tile of the album whilst the remaining two thirds veer between the obvious, recognisable "sampled" tracks and filler.

Having said that, it's an excellent way to enter the world of funk and rare groove and I would heartily recommend it to anyone starting their collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 9 Sep 2011
RL Cloherty (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stax of Funk: the Funky Truth (Audio CD)
A nice collection of Funk. On my first listen I heard many tracks for the first time. For example Brothers and Sisters by Kim Weston is so different to anything from her days at Motown, but just as enjoyable. In short a very good compilation.

1.0 out of 5 stars WELL, I GOT FOOLED AGAIN...., 25 Aug 2012
This review is from: Stax of Funk: the Funky Truth (Audio CD)

First off, I am not a nitpicker about sound quality. I have enough compilations that are of substandard sound quality. I do not mind substandard sound quality if that is the way the original tape is and it is something rare. To name few: The Jazzman Funk series (Florida/Midwest/Carolina Funk, etc.) Outtasight label, Cellarful of Motown, the Backbeats series, (Motor City Soul, 70s Sophisticated Funk, Philly Busters, etc.). These all have sound that is a little to a lot substandard, not to mention all the garage I have. I mean, some of these compilations are put out by small labels and some even get great sound like Super Rare Disco. I have no problem with a range of sounds. Funk Drops is great and not at all substandard. Westbound is usually outstanding sound quality. (More on Westbound later)

But there is something different here. I have talked about Southern Funkin, Golden State Funk, (On Ace/BGP) Wheedles Groove (some other label), and now some other BGP/Ace CDs. The case of this Stax of Funk is much the same. I must say, however, that this one is really not as bad as these other culprits I have named. Once again, on Stax of Funk, they have used some kind of noise reduction or noise shaping that is making the music sound flat, one dimensional, hollow, depthless, strangely uniform, and `mono' and pushed to the background. The most worn out 45PRM I have ever heard, whether off a disk or reissued on a well- mastered CD does not sound this strange. But, however, I must add here, they did not go as far on this as the others named, so it is not quite as unlistenable as these others but it gets dangerously close. What makes this worse is that this one can fool you.

Now, I don't know whether to blame Ace, BGP, Duncan Cowell (mastering) Soundmastering Ltd. (where they do this) Rod Shread (audio restoration) because ALL THESE people, labels, and studios have also all done outstanding jobs on other compilations. The work they did on Westbound Northern Soul and Getting It Off, not to mention other Ace girl group and comp CDs, all have great sound.

I do not know what the trouble here is with Funk, all I know is there is now a lot of funk out there that needs to be properly mastered and issued, so that the history of this music is not destroyed. What kills me about this is that the above named culprits, most of them are coming directly off the master tapes, while some of the smaller labels are doing a better job. This Stax of Funk is a particularly insidious example of a big tragedy, because it is THE STAX LABEL. What are they doing to this wonderful history? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP BEFORE ALL IS LOST! There is NO EXCUSE FOR THIS. THESE CDs NAMED SHOULD BE RECALLED, PULLED FROM THE MARKET AND ISSUED ASAP BEFORE HISTORY IS WRECKED.

It is necessary if you delve into this area of music that you train your ear to listen for this awful sound by using the above named culprits as points of comparison. This is not easy using ear buds. Quite often, you will not notice it until it is on your player and too late. This Stax of Funk fooled me once again. When I think about what is being destroyed here, I get physically ill.

Stax of Funk: the Funky Truth
Stax of Funk: the Funky Truth by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2000)