This is a very well made traditional espresso maker. It's solid, fits well together, and the handle is comfortable. The thick base to the water reservoir part means it doesn't heat up *too* fast over a gas flame, though if you are using gas, make sure you don't let the flames lick up the side of the machine.

Now, for the quality of the espresso it makes. I must...
Published on 2 May 2006 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Problems with the seal
Having read through the other customer reviews, we purchased our Bialetti just after Christmas. Initially, it was fantastic; made a far better cup of coffee than the local cafes and saving us a fortune! However, in the last couple of days, my husband and I have noticed that the taste of the coffee has changed. I recall reading a review in which they had a problem with...
Published on 19 Jan. 2010 by Michelle Vernon

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent traditional machine - perfect for short/medium long coffees for 2, 2 May 2006
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bialetti Moka Express Espresso Maker, 6 Cup (Kitchen & Home)

Now, for the quality of the espresso it makes. I must admit I was disappointed with this at first - I had been used to a high pressure espresso machine which made thick creamy espresso. At first when using this maker I followed the instructions exactly - not 'tamping down' the coffee and not grinding it too fine. This made a fairly weak espresso. In fact the 6 cup amount made me two good longish coffees, still an improvement in taste over my cafetiere coffee.

To achieve a better espresso I got advice from my Italian and Greek friends. They grew up with these machines, and told me to grind the coffee slightly finer than instructed, and to tamp it down gently (not too hard or you block the holes.) This made me the rich espresso I wanted.

Lastly, about these coffee makers, take them off the heat a little before all the water in the bottom evaporates (also a knack to learn when this is!) You avoid the bitter-end-coffee, and you make sure you're not going to leave the machine to dry out over the heat and possibly get damaged.

You may be interested in quantity - everyone's idea of 'cup' is different. I imagine the 'cup' here is a very short espresso as I usually get about 4 espresso measures out, i.e. 2 double espresso. If I'm using it to make longer coffee, it make me two mugs. It'd be a perfect size if there were two coffee drinkers in your house. For one (like me) it leaves spare for the next day. (I don't reheat the coffee, just add it cold to very hot milk/water, this works well for me.) If you don't want that, or wastage, and are sure you won't want to make coffee for more than 1 person ever, try the 3 cup model.

In all I'm very glad I bought it, and would recommend it to anyone, it just takes a little experimenting to get your coffee how you like it. But even if you're used to espresso from an expensive machine, you should be able to adjust this to get something to satisfy you. In particular, this is an excellent brand, the maker is very well made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great original item, superb coffee, 12 Aug. 2013
Ron Powell (Exeter, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
I was introduced to one of these coffee makers when staying with an Italian family (in Italy) many years ago. I loved the results so of course brought one home.

For reasons I can't recall, it made its way to the kitchen gadget graveyard at the back of a cupboard & we used a cafetiere, but I was recently re-introduced to the machine - and I'm glad I was !

I therefore bought this new one, mostly for making one cup of "Americano" style coffee - I fill the reservoir with water, half fill the coffee compartment, then when brewed add hot water & cold milk, which makes the perfect strength for me in a medium sized mug (using Lavazza Qualita ORO Coffee). This size pot will also make enough coffee as described for three people at the same strength if the coffee compartment is full.

Excellent well made pot.

4.0 out of 5 stars It Makes, mmm, Coffee, 18 Jan. 2010
Having made coffee in a cafetiere for years, I thought I'd try out one of these Bialetti espresso makers.

But the first question was: what size? 1, 2, 3 cups...? I took pot luck (no pun intended!) and selected this "6 cup" Moka Express. I'm not sure about Bialetti's cup sizes but filling the water tank to the 'maximum' mark produces enough coffee for one standard coffee mug and about three of the little Pantone Colour Match Espresso Cups and Saucer in Coffee Colours, Set of 4.

The product appears well made and of suitably high quality. You can buy spare parts which is always a good sign (filters, seals and handles) that a product is expected to be with you for years to come.

Obviously what the coffee actually tastes like is more a factor of coffee bean choice, but this does improve the flavour of my coffee relative to the cafetiere method - and it looks pretty cool too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent coffee, 1 Jan. 2012
Bea (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
Being of Italian ancestry and growing up in South America, I remember having one of those around the house since ever. My nonna had one for 40+ years, the only damage was a broken handle (and of course you must replace the rubber rings when they wear out), so they are excellent quality. Having seen, and being fascinated as a kid with the coffee spluttering out, it being used nearly everyday during my childhood and teen years I knew exactly how to use it and it makes the "real" coffee I'm used to. It's nearly fool proof after you learn the water/coffee rate - use an espresso cup to measure the water he first few times, and put more/less coffee according to the number of cups and strength you prefer, you don't need to fill the filter to the brim all the time, only if you like extremely strong coffee or making the full 6 cups (I use 3/4 tank of water, 1/2 full filter of strength 5 coffee for a large mug of coffee/latte). Use filtered/mineral water if possible, a decent quality coffee, put on a medium heat and take a bit of time as it's not as quick as other machines, but the taste it's completely different, much richer, and very very hot. Remember to rinse (just rinse, no washing up liquid, use paper towels to dry/wipe any residues) and fully dry the machine when it's cooled down and should last you for generations.

5.0 out of 5 stars First for an amateur, 11 Sept. 2010
Received the Bialetti 6-cup moka expresso maker in very fast time, just 3 days with free delivery.

Use could not be simpler and am still reeling from my first caffeine whammy.

Only thing I did different was I followed suggestions from others to tamp down the coffee a little to slow down the water and get maximum strength.

Wish I had bought the gizmo that fits on the gas hob to secure the pot at the same time as the coffee maker. Have ordered one now.

All in all a very good buy

5.0 out of 5 stars best coffee ever if used correctly, 9 Oct. 2013
I bought one of this about a year but it is only in the last week that I feel as though I've mastered it. This isn't because it's hard to use but after a recent trip to Italy I wanted to make coffee that is of equal quality.

This is what works best for me. First, buy some quality coffee (carte noir is my fave). Fill water level up to maximum mark and then put enough coffee to fill the holder and gently press down. Repeat until holder is full to top. Then screw on lid and turn on heat only 1/2 way. When coffee starts to enter the pot, wait until it reaches the level at the bottom of the spout and then remove from heat. This stops damage to the device and burnt coffee by ensuring that some water remains in the lower part.

Now if you we want a cafe latte etc then simply add full cream milk to a saucepan and with an electric whisk give it a good mixing to get some air in the milk. Once done, turn the heat on halfway and heat the milk. DO NOT BOIL! Put some coffee into cup and pour the milk on top. Hey presto you've got the best latte ever.

From this 6 cup device I normally get enough coffee for two mugs. If I don't use all the coffee I make then I put it in the fridge for the next day and just add it to hot milk.

Why waste money on an expensive machine?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous unpretentious coffee, 18 Nov. 2007
Dr. Peter J. Coleman "pcoleman16" (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
These pots come highly recommended.

You can spend hundreds of pounds on an all-singing all-dancing espresso maker that looks like a cross between a computer and a thing you might use in the garage if you like, but frankly these small Bialetti Moka pots make good coffee without all the pantomime. By the time I've got the Gaggia out of the back of the cupboard, found all the bits, and remembered how to operate it, I could be relaxing with a nice coffee courtesy of Bialetti.

At heart I'm a traditionalist. I enjoy good quality Italian coffee made in the quintessentially Italian way using one of these pots. The coffee is slightly different to that obtained in many UK high street coffee shops; it's slightly weaker and doesn't have much of the "Crema" foam that coffee bores bang on about - but what it does have is flavour. Lots and lots of flavour.
Tips:
1. Load finely ground coffee and tamp it very slightly.
2. Low heat, and remove the pot from the heat when it starts to sputter.

There's not much to be said about the actual pots - they're very nicely made and should last forever with just an annual change of the gasket between the parts. I don't ever wash mine with detergent - just run it under the tap and clean it with a small brush.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Espresso Maker, 17 Aug. 2008
Bluesbreaker (Birmingham England) - See all my reviews
An excellent purchase and I would agree with all those who have already posted laudatory remarks.

Can I just add 4 observations

To those who want to know how many cups it provides - We get 295 ml of strong brown liquid from the 6 cup machine ( c. half a pint ).

It takes about 4-5 mins to make the coffee - from absolute start with cold water to drinking coffee. Just enough time to microwave and then foam up the milk using the bodum 1446 device.( we exclusively drink lattes )

Mild-to-firm tamping down is mandatory and crucial to taste - despite the instructions. We use the bottom of a glass tumbler

As regards using finely ground coffee - we don't have a grinder ; we buy Tescos Finest Columbian Supremo ground coffee and its fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bialetti Bellissimo!, 28 Feb. 2013
G. Ward "Sotto Voce" (You are here ->) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
To me, Bialetti’s the first name that springs to mind when thinking about a stove top Italian espresso coffee maker. Good materials, well finished and a classic shape which marks out traditional, yet simple, design. Well, if it’s not broken…

The basic components are fairly simple, but the fit is perfect. There’s a thick base water reservoir, where the bottom of the pot makes contact with your heat source (I’ve tried this with both a gas and halogen electric hob), the coffee basket (slots into top of the reservoir), the ‘filter’ (which is held neatly inside the top of the pot, and finally the top of the pot (which captures the most important part… The black espresso coffee.

Yes, no moving parts, no switches (there is a simple pressure valve in the base, just in case), just a pot that should last for a very long time.

With a little bit of practice, and a few words of advice, I’m now consistently making coffee just the way that I like it.

It couldn’t be much simpler. Fill the base with water, fill the coffee basket with the desired grind, assemble (screw together the top and the base), then pop onto a steady low heat.

Using a slightly finer grind, than recommended in the instructions; I’ve been tampering down ‘two scoops’ of coffee and placing onto a low heat. The trick is not to try and heat the pot too rapidly, as this will not do the flavour of the coffee any favours.

If you’re using a gas hob, then the Bialetti diffuser’s a great little item, as this helps to prevents the lames licking the sides of the pot and creates a more even spread of heat.

The trick is to keep an eye out for when the coffee’s starting to pour through into the top, and to take the pot off from the heat before all of the water in the bottom reservoir is used up. As well as delivering better tasting coffee, it’ll also save you from damaging the pot, but over heating an empty base.

I have an electric Gaggia espresso machine, but still reach for this little Bialetti, when I only want to make a couple of cups of coffee. There’s much less faffin’ involved. The Gaggia is relegated to being used, only when I’ve people visiting and I’m in need of far more than the six shots of espresso.

I’d easily recommend this to anyone, from the occasional coffee drinker to those that can’t live without a cup of fine black coffee (I’ve actually bought a couple of these to give as gifts). It just takes a little bit of practice, to get the knack, but then they’ll have something that they’ll cherish and be able to use for many years. It really is a great little item.

5.0 out of 5 stars The golden standard, 20 May 2009
bongo (London/Shanghai) - See all my reviews
They're amazing.

I recommend the 6 cup because you can make a few shots of espresso or just a pot of really, really strong coffee. I've bought imitation Bialettis before and they work reasonably well but just don't have as nice a gasket. They're usually harder to screw together too. And to be honest, I love having the little Bialetti logo staring at me every morning.

Heat some milk in a pan on the stove, make a few shots of espresso, and put them together. Frankly, I can't think of a better way to start the day.

Hope that helps!