5.0 out of 5 stars smoother than the LA weather indeed
Published on 17 Aug. 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars It's alright, I suppose...
This is alright. Some songs on this are fantastic, like 'Charm Attack', 'Anything', 'Chase', and 'New York Baby', but this album is too bluesy for me, and I'm not a fan of blues at all. 'All I Want' and 'Chosen Family' are too cheesy for me, and some of the songs like 'Northern Star' are just dull to the extreme. If you like a mixture of blues and good rock, then buy this...
Published on 1 April 2005 by T. Williamson

5.0 out of 5 stars smoother than the LA weather indeed, 17 Aug. 2000
This review is from: Comatised (Audio CD)
I first heard Charm Attack when I was in the USA back in May, and I was hooked in no time. Having bought the CD at that time I expected this to be a HUGE hit here in the UK - but apparently you kiddies prefer ephemeral boy and girl bands. Tut tut...It will be really a shame if no one plays this record, because this is a great great debut album. I probably played it about 20-30 times in the first few days! I have seen it written that this album is "folky", but I just don't get that impression at all. There are drums. And electric guitars! As they say, "it rocks" in places. Check out the best singalong song of the year - Charm Attack. How can you resist this voice, and these melodies? Is there anything currently as cool as Lazy Days, New York Baby, or the title song Comatised? Not as far as I've heard. There are absolutely no flies in this platter. So, do yourself a favour...BUY IT NOW and make this girl a huge star

5.0 out of 5 stars breath taking, 14 Feb. 2002
This review is from: Comatised (Audio CD)
I had never heard of Leona Naess until I read a recommendation from Amazon.co.uk, so I experimented and bought the album.It took a little while to get into, but this doesn't always have to mean that it can't become a firm favourite. Immediately, the charming 'Charm Attack' struck a chord with me, with it's steady beat and angsty chorus.'Lazy Days' takes you by surprise with it's instrumentation, a very catchy number.'All I want' is definately a lively 'sing-along' track, you will find it reverberating round your head and ears...great! 'Southern Star' has a more melancholic, slow, feel to it, but it is beautiful.The steady title track is also likely to re-emerge in your head after a couple of plays.
I would liken British born Leona to Beth Orton, and there is a decided similarity to Nerina Pallot, with a bit of Dido mixed in. At last, another talented British artiste!

5.0 out of 5 stars BEAUTIFUL VOICE, BEAUTIFUL ALBUM......, 15 May 2001
This review is from: Comatised (Audio CD)
I'd never previously heard of Leona Naess before browsing the 'people who bought.....also bought' section on AMAZON, but what a discovery! From my very first listen of the album I knew it was something special. Leona has a beautiful, soothing, almost angelic voice, and a wonderful knack for writing intelligent, moving lyrics. Standouts for me are Charm Attack, which is unbeleivably catchy, Lazy Days, Lonely Boy, All I Want and Northern Star. The album is without a doubt one of the best debut albums I've ever heard, and I would certainly recommend it to anyone who likes sassy, intelligent, female singer/songwriters, with gorgeous voices and a knack for catchy tunes.

5.0 out of 5 stars the finest album of new millenium, 13 Sept. 2000
This review is from: Comatised (Audio CD)
What a remarkable debut for a woman who will undoubtedly become a star. Leona is writer, composer, singer, and performer extraordinaire. There is her angelic voice, with a range that shames most other recording artists today; the shifts in genre and mood from petulant rock chorus to haunting ballad; and the remarkable beauty of her lyrics '(He) fills a room like champagne into an empty glass...' This album is a must for anyone who loves intelligent, lyrical rock. Leona will rock your world.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic, inspiring album, 17 Mar. 2002
This review is from: Comatised (Audio CD)
MY GOD! Where has this music been all my life! Having discovered Leona Naess through Amazon recommendations i have to give the system a huge thumbs up. I have not stopped listening to comatised since it dropped through my letterbox. A soulful voice, charming lyricist and music to match... i was taken aback by the simple brilliance of the opening track Lazy Days and the title track. Such beautiful music, but unlike the other reviewers i would not liken her to the fabulous Beth Orton, though she is certainly at the same or dare i say a higher level... i'm not sure which. I can see why people might make the comparison but i see the sounds of these two as distinct, if only for the differences between their voices. I would recommend this album to all, especially those who appreciate fully the wonder of the human voice. Buy and enjoy, lose yourself in the wonder that is Comatised.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good debut, 1 Jun. 2007
D. Thompson "tommo" (leeds) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Comatised (Audio CD)
It is important to remember this is a debut album when listening to it.

It is a very good debut and I am so happy that Leona has not succumb to that oh-so horrid cheesy style that dear old Heather Nova and Liz Phair did. The 1-2 drum beat that the Corrs use, some sad lyrics about a boy, and then a half baked chorus, (pretending to be rocky but not too much..coz its menat for mainstream) - Charm Attack is the only song that gets close to this, but manages to steer away from being a top 50 aimed single, owing to her airy vocals and varied intumentation.

The opening track is an absolute joy and if you somehow harness a warm spring afternoon, with dandelion seeds floating through the sky it would be this song.

the title track again displays Leona's ability to not conform to any particular female style, but never loose a sense of accessibility for the casual listener.

If you like your female singers shiny, glam and slick then this is not for you, but on the other hand it is neither as grungy as PJ harvey or abrasive as carina round or as the strightforward, sophisticated eloquence of Aimme mann.

The closest comparison could be beth orton in she has a slightly folky airy style, but is not as commercially viable as beth.

The album is full of good tracks, it is catchy, it has a couple of forgettable ones too, but overall it presents and airy atmosphere - with light melodies and the typical lovelorn lyrics but never too cheesy nor too self indulgent.

To me it does seem like Leona is finding her musical feet - the tunes are light and airy as she is still experimenting with different styles.

Out of all the female singers out there Leona is my fave as there is just something so real and heartfelt about her soft husky voice, it strains, it mourns and it loves - it is always saturated in this deep sense on vulnerability. Something which is apparent throughout her albums is this sense of insecurity, no matter how grandiose the prodcution or melody - leonas voice is full of those pitfalls and heartaches makes her a human just like me and you.

3 words - vulnerable, light, airy.

5.0 out of 5 stars gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous, 29 Oct. 2000
This review is from: Comatised (Audio CD)
This is a beautiful debut album. A splendiferous mix of rock and folk coupled with leona's stunning voice makes this album one of the best this year. The lyrics are interesting, intelligent and superbly matched with the music. In all this album is a reassuring and inspiring album that restores your faith in singer/song writers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous debut, 1 Nov. 2006
Phil Robertshaw (North Somerset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Comatised (Audio CD)
I'm struggling to understand why Leona Naess is still almost unheard of in the UK. Drawing comparisons with Beth Orton, she has her own unique voice and deserves to be recognised as a fine singer-songwriter in her own right.

Comatised, her debut album, is a beautiful piece of work, with catchy pop songs (Charm Attack, Anything, All I Want, New York Baby) interspersed with gorgeously soulful ballads (Lonely Boy, Earthquake, Paper Thin). Buy this album and spread the word - Leona Naess is one of the most talented singers around.

5.0 out of 5 stars The amazing Leona Naess, 2 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Comatised (Audio CD)
I think I must have been in a coma for the last 14 years, this album is credit to the talents of this wonderful singer songwriter it has a bit of every thing, and its just wonderful to listen to, I,m off to check the rest of her work out, But I recommend to every one, buy this album NOW

5.0 out of 5 stars Great artist., 10 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Comatised (Audio CD)
Very happy to find new artist. Love her voice and music. I have bought all her other albums love them all.

Comatised
Comatised by Leona Naess (Audio CD - 2000)