5.0 out of 5 stars Overlooked but excellent
I will admit from the start that I am an admirer of both Stephen Fry and Oscar Wilde, so this film is a dream come true for me. However, if you're not a fan of either, this could just be the thing to convert you.
Published on 18 July 2004 by Sometimes Things Get Whatever

3.0 out of 5 stars I thought it would be better, but it's still not bad
Published 14 months ago by Woodster

5.0 out of 5 stars Overlooked but excellent, 18 July 2004
This review is from: Wilde [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
Fry gives a simply amazing performance as Wilde, at times heartbreakingly touching; he almost makes you go through the emotions with him. Jude Law as the arrogant Bosie is quite perfect, both physically and performance-wise. Jennifer Ehle and Michael Sheen are both equally excellent, as are the rest of this great cast. In fact, I can find no fault with this film whatever, and it's one of my favourites of all time. The courtroom scene always moves me to tears without fail, and there are very few films that can do that, if any! You needn't think that it's a depressing film though, as there are always the injections of Oscar's razor sharp wit to balance the mood.
The documentary on the DVD is great too; a nice addition. But just one question: Where did the Best Actor Oscar go?

5.0 out of 5 stars Wilde, 6 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Wilde [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
Having an enormous amount of respect for Stephen Fry, I watched Wilde with high expectations and I wasn't disappointed. 'Wilde' was moving and Fry played the part with a huge amount of depth; which allowed the audience to become more subjective and emotionally involved during the film. I found some of the underlying themes of family and social acceptance a little washed over. However, the film has a grown up and sombre feel, juxtaposed with humour and wit. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars I thought it would be better, but it's still not bad, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Wilde [1997] [DVD] (DVD)
I like both Oscar Wilde and Stephen Fry (who I know also adores Wilde), so I had high hopes for this film. I wasn't so much disappointed, as a little underwhelmed. There were parts that I really enjoyed, but overall film didn't really flow well and, if I am honest, the acting wasn't top notch. 3/5 is not really a fair reflection however, I would be more inclined to say 7/10 - but such is the limitation of the 5* scoring system! It's worth the money and worth the watch, but I don't feel strongly that I will watch it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oscar my Relative, Relative, 27 April 2015
This review is from: Wilde [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
Oscar Wilde is a blood relation on my fathers side. ( Lady Jane Francesca Elgee) 'Speranza' Oscars Mother is the link. Anyway I adore Stephen Fry, in his Own right as an actor, presenter, intellectual, lovely jubbly man. Only had this film on VHD cassette, so im well pleased I now have it on DVD, and its New2me, unopened and great price. Well packaged with sound casing. Well pleased

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a wild Wilde life -- and a fascinating film, 27 May 2007
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Wilde [1997] [DVD] (DVD)
I have somewhat conflicting opinions about this film, just as I have conflicting opinions about Oscar Wilde himself. No one can dispute the fact that Wilde was a literary genius; ample proof of this is found in the successful rehabilitation of his work in reputation long before the aspects of his infamous lifestyle became acceptable to even a minor fraction of society. If, as hardly seems possible, you aren't aware of the scandal associated with Wilde's downfall, this film spares the viewer few of the most intimate of details (in other words, there is male nudity - and plenty of it). It's a brave film, featuring a most accomplished class of actors and actresses turning in terrific performances, but it doesn't feel perfectly complete to me. Rather than delivering a flamboyant Oscar Wilde who truly reveled in his own audacity, this Oscar Wilde seemed subdued and sometimes even haunted by the lifestyle he led. While his wit is demonstrated quite often, this didn't quite seem like the young man who became the toast of London before he met with his first literary success and reveled in the danger inherent in his forays into the London underworld of homosexuality. Maybe it's just impossible to capture the true spirit of this most singular of men, but I just felt as if this film tried to cast Wilde as something of a victim led astray by all these pretty young boys and a man doomed by his own nature, and I don't completely buy into that.

I was also somewhat disappointed by the fact that Wilde's writing played only an incidental role in this story. We don't get a very good sense of the shocking nature of The Picture of Dorian Gray to Victorian society, apart from the comments of young Lord Alfred "Bosie" Douglas (Jude Law) upon his introduction to the author, and Wilde's successful plays provide little more than short moments in the sun for Wilde to receive the cheers of appreciative audiences on opening nights. There's basically no commentary on the relationship between Wilde's writing and his life.

I don't want to sound too negative, however, as I think this is a wonderful film. Stephen Fry makes for a wonderful, albeit subdued, Oscar Wilde, but Jude Law turns in a much more memorable performance as Bosie. With his flamboyant nature, sudden mood swings between devil-may-care flamboyance and taciturn childishness, and natural coquettishness, he dominates one scene after another. Wilde, in fact, becomes something of a pathetic creature at times, a helpless instrument in the hands of a young seducer whom he must suspect will ultimately lead to his downfall and disgrace. Certainly, there was little chance of keeping this extended dalliance a protected secret, but one cannot blame Bosie's father - evil brute that he was - from seeking Wilde's destruction. The irony, of course, is that Wilde engineered his own downfall, as it was his decision to sue the Marquess of Queensberry for libel (and to thereby perjure himself in court) that led to his arrest for gross indecency.

I certainly can't admire anything about Oscar Wilde's personal life beyond his brave determination to be nothing less than who he truly was, even when that meant facing two back-breaking years of manual labor in prison. I do admire his genius, however, and I don't think there's any doubt that his exploits influenced the society of his day and age.

He helped define one era and ushered in the dawn of a new one. Most of all, he was just bloody fascinating. Any movie about his life would be noteworthy, and this one is certainly that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wild!, 10 Jan. 2005
This review is from: Wilde [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
This is a bipoic of the great Oscar Wilde starring the wonderful Stephen Fry as the man himself amongst a star studded cast including Vanessa Redgrave and Jude Law. A thoroughly moving film about a truly inspirational man, Stephen Fry is perfect as Oscar but I would have liked even more of Wilde's gems of wisdom to have been included. Not for anyone who is easily offended by same sex love scenes!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fry is Wilde, 8 April 2009
This review is from: Wilde [1997] [DVD] (DVD)
The best representation of Oscar Wilde on screen is delivered by a genious of a man, Stephen Fry. Very good film, and excellent performances.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good film but poor DVD, 26 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Wilde [1997] [DVD] (DVD)
Stephen Fry gives a marvellous performance as intelligent and witty Wilde. Watching him on screen, you couldn't imagine the part being played by any other actor. An engaging and well-made historical drama.

Bear in mind that in common with many first-generation DVD releases, this is non-anamorphic and won't look good on a widescreen TV. Until a blu-ray version is released, consider the R1 release which has an anamorphic transfer, and a commentary too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent!, 12 Oct. 2002
This review is from: Wilde [VHS] [1997] (VHS Tape)
I am a huge fan of Oscar Wilde, and I believe that this production portrayed him perfectly. Stephen Fry is very talented, and the two are stuningly alike. Jude Law as Bosie was also very well acted out, and I found myself immersed in tears and laughter, simultaneously.
This is a must buy for anyone who loves literature, who's been inlove and hated for it, and anyone who's basically human.

5.0 out of 5 stars love that dare not speak its name, 10 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Wilde [1997] [DVD] (DVD)
I have been a fan of Oscar Wilde for some time, and this film gave amazingly accurate insight into the life of a great Irish literary. Indeed, many a speech by Stephen Fry has been quoted word for word from the actual trial monologues, and the uncanny resemblance of Fry to Wilde himself is astounding.

This Wilde is torn between what is accepted love (his wife, and children), and the 'love that dare not speak its name' (primarily his destructive relationship with the needy, selfish and petulant Lord Alfred Douglas, played here by Jude Law in the role which brought him to world attention). We see his charm and conviction when creating his plays or amusing friends, we also see his weaker side and why he was the cause of his own eventual arrest and imprisonment, we see how prison changed him and - as he wrote himself in De Profundis - broke his spirit and his health.

Wilde [DVD] [1997]
Wilde [DVD] [1997] by Brian Gilbert (DVD - 1999)
Used & New from: £4.99