Format: DVD|Change

Joseph has never really been my favourite musical, but I must admit that this version of it is excellent. The cast are good, the sets are good and the production values are good, everything about it is good.

I'm not going to write a review of the musical itself, as if you are coming to buy this then you have probably already seen it or been in a school production of it. If you haven't seen it then it is a highly entertaining musical, but it is firmly aimed at children (although their may be a few adult bits sprinkled in the lyrics if you listen to them).

It's not my favourite musical, but my 6 year old daughter is hooked (and my wife now has a thing about Donny Osmond).

There are no extras to speak of - just a standard "Making of..." documentary with clips from the cast and Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd-Webber.

I'm giving this five stars as the whole thing is excellently done.
on 17 April 2013
This is a Blu-ray review. It looks like the picture has been stretch to 16:9 widescreen when the original ratio was slimmer, but wider than 4:3. I noticed as soon as I put it in, but can someone verify please? If it's true then i'm apalled. Fake widescreen is done by moron's who forgot the orignal purpose of widescreen.
44 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 March 2015
Seen this show many times, at least three in the Theatre, but also when I taught at Primary School. An excellent introduction for young children to stage musicals. Great breadth of musical styles in the show. Country & Western, Rock and Roll, French accordion, etc. A nice way to spend less than 90 minutes!
on 20 November 2005
This is just excellent. A great DVD for all the family. Buy it for a birthday or Christmas present for someone. The songs are great, the performers superb and the show is funnier that I remembered, having seen it on stage years ago.
on 23 January 2014
I previously owned this on Video but as I no longer have an Video Recorder wanted to replace it with a DVD. Had been a little concerned when reading the reviews as one person who had it on BluRay was very negative about the quality however I did NOT need to worry as the quality is excellent, the picture is clear.

Absolutely fabulous version of Joseph set in a school assembly with the teacher's playing all the parts. An extremely enjoyable film for all the family which will leave you singing the songs for days.
on 28 April 2013
This is a simply stunning version of this wonderful musical

The school assembly setting entranced my 8 year old, and Joan Collins as the piano teacher was a great cameo- although her fabulous hamming as Potifer's wife was even better!

This is not a production that takes itself at all seriously and for me that is the beauty of it; a serious story retold in a funny entertaining style. Fantastic!

The DVD sound, like the CD release, is a little annoying with the volume being inconsistent, but despite that I would give this a solid 5 stars

AMAZING indeed
on 31 October 2012
JOSEPH etc was a great and memorable show on stage (if rather short) with unforgettable music.This production is appalling and amateurish and the staging is on the cheap side.Many cast members are seen looking directly into the camera when they shouldn't be.It looks terrible.Who directed this rubbish? The Jason Donovan London stage show was superb and unforgettable. Get a copy of that if you can-I never tire of watching it.It's brilliant.
on 30 June 2014
I purchased this DVD for my youngest Granddaughter in the hope and expectation that she would enjoy it as much as her elder Sister, who loved the Video Tape version that was the relevant vehicle when she was a little girl. Every time she came to visit she would ask us to play the show for her.

I am awaiting feedback on the DVD version which I am sure will mirror that of Video enjoyed so much previously.
on 27 February 2014
Why Did They Release This On Blu-Ray? The Video Transfer Does Not Seem To Have Undergone Up Scaling & If It Has It's Not Worked Very Well As Some Scenes Seem Spotty. The Audio However Has Definitely Been Re Worked As It Sounds Excellent. Also Features A 30 Mins Making Of, Which Also Featured On The Original Release.
on 24 February 2016
Seen it twice in theater where it would be a brilliant choice if you have children..
Having the DVD is a must as it is the next best thing. I listen to it at times when not watching!
A great musical from Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice. Funny and uplifting.