5.0 out of 5 stars Can't recommend this pressure cooker highly enough!
For anyone new to, or coming back to pressure cooking, this cooker ticks all the boxes. Gone are the scarey days of hisses and whistles which put me off using them completely. This one is quiet and works beautifully.
It isn't none stick which I felt might be a bit of a problem, but it is so easy to clean anyway, that it really hasn't mattered.
The instructions...
Published on 21 Jan 2009 by Linda

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Unhappy
Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Inox Pressure Cooker (20cm), 3.5 LitreFrom the start I had bother with my Duromatic.
I contacted Kuhn Rikon Switzerland, sent my details to UK. a lady rang me looking for minutely detailed account of how I used the pressure cooker!!! I have had a pressure cooker for 33years. She sent me a replacement spigot for the lid. That did not work...
Published 15 months ago by Florentina

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't recommend this pressure cooker highly enough!, 21 Jan 2009
This review is from: Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Inox Pressure Cooker (22cm), 5.0 Litre (Kitchen & Home)
The instructions are clear and concise, the after sales team are on the ball (mine arrived without the complimentary cook book, one phone call and it was delivered 2 days later.
I have not had it for very long so in honesty can't testify to its longevity, but it is a joy to use and I wouldnt hesitate to recommend it to even the most nervous novice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Jan 2014
Dr. Richard Dudley (Conon Bridge, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is a modern pressure cooker - easy to use and not in the least bit scary.

The removeable gasket fits easily into the inside of the lid, then simply align using the etched arrows, turn and ... done.

It takes a little while to get up to pressure and there's an indicator bar showing when low and high pressure is reached.

It's very energy efficient - once it's up to high pressure I can keep it there on my smallest gas ring, set to its lowest flame. Indeed if I want low pressure I have to keep turning off the gas. These days I do everything on high pressure.

This is one of those gadgets that I don't use often but is absolutely invaluable when I do use it - for making stock. A chicken carcass, plus all the usual stock vegetables. Cover with water, cook for 1 hour. The pressure stops the liquid boiling and so the stock is beautifully clear. Cool, strain, take off any fat, reduce and pour into ice-cube bags. Instant home-made stock. As there's no added salt you can use this stock in any concentration you like - simply season at the end.

Pressure cooker beef stew is also a revelation - braising steak, swede, carrots, onions and potatoes in large chunks. A little salt & pepper, perhaps a little Bisto to thicken. 30 mins and you have the most fabulous winter one pot dinner.

I particuarly like this pressure cooker as it has the long handle - easy to move and easy to close.

I'd make a note about size. This 5L is the smallest I would consider. It will, just, take a small chicken carcass and the stock veg.

If you are cooking anything that expands - purees, pulses, porridge, etc, then the recommendation is not to fill over 1/3 full. 1/3 of a 5L pot is not a huge amount.

Unlike many reviewers, and I defer to them, I've never cooked veg in a pressure cooker. "Bring to high temperature and cook for one minute" is a level of exactitude I'm not able to manage, especially as it's impossible to test the doneness of the vegetables without depressurising. On the other hand it you have the perfect timings, you'll just follow those every time.

No...for me a pressure cooker is for "long slow cooking with all the flavours sealed in"...in a third of the time.

If I were buying again I think I'd go for the 6L or 8L models (although they do not have the long handle).

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome bit of kit, 25 Sep 2012
I am really impressed with this pressure cooker, it is almost silent. The quality of the pan and lid is superb. I bought one after my sister's purchase.It makes cooking family meals much quicker! A real asset to any kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars KUHN RIKON 5 LITRE PRESSURE COOKER, 25 Nov 2012
A FANTASTIC PRODUCT. BEAUTIFULLY MADE, AND SO EASY TO USE. COOKS EVERYTHING VERY QUICKLY. WORTH EVERY PENNY AND REALLY JUSTIFIES THE HIGH PRICE. BUY WITH CATHERINE PHIPPS RECIPE BOOK, AND KUHN RIKON TRIVET - THERE ARE NO RECIPES WITH COOKER AND TRIVET SUPPLIED IS BASIC.
STAN

5.0 out of 5 stars I Absolutely Love It, 7 Dec 2012
I must admit I ummed and arghed for a long time before taking the plunge and buying this pressure cooker. I've never used or owned one before. I contacted Kuhn Rikon customer services for advice between 2 different models and they were very helpful. I did look at a couple of other brands in stores, but just wasn't impressed with how they looked and felt - some of them looked quite complicated!
I wish I had bought the Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker years ago. I love it - it is so easy to use and not at all scary. It looks really sleek and clean in design, and when under pressure there is hardly any steam loss, so no worries about windows steaming up! It is also really easy to clean.
So far I've cooked potatoes and veggies, which only take about 8 mins, I've cooked a wonderful beef and onion pie filling and instead of about 2.5 hours it took about 20 mins once under pressure, and a couple of boiled gammon joints which again take about 20 mins. All have been so tasty!!
I was surprised how quickly when taken off the heat it naturally reduces pressure - you only need a couple of minutes before you can open the lid.
I just need to experiment a bit more with what I cook in it. A while after I had it, I also bought the 3 section basket for it too, which is fab also.
If you've been umming and aarghing - go for it - I haven't regretted it at all - and I don't think you will either!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Pressure Cooker, 3 Aug 2012
This replaces a 30 year old prestige pressure cooker which had done stirling service around the world. Decided on this replacement as the quality of the prestige did not seem to be as good as the original. So glad I chose the Kuhn Rikon as it is extremely well made and has been in daily use since receiving about a month ago. The cooking ability and ease of use is very impressive.
The only downside is the poor cooking instructions for different types of food in the handbook plus there are no recipes. This could prove difficult for a novice pressure cooker user, which is a shame as it is such an excellent product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kuhn Rikon Inox is a fantastic Pressure Cooker, 11 Jun 2013
This is such an easy, stress free and safe pressure cooker that just works and is made to very high standards.
Kuhn Rikon have all spares and parts available. It is rather expensive, but will pay itself off quite quickly with the savings in time and energy.
The best pressure cooker that I have used. It is very quiet and simple to see the 2 pressure settings. .
A very good product.
Invest in a quality item, you won't regret buying one !

5.0 out of 5 stars The best pressure cooker ever!, 7 Nov 2012
Bettym (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
I have used pressure cookers all my life, and my Mum did too, so I have had various Prestige, Tower and tefal cookers over the years. But the Kuhn Rikon is in a class of its own! It is soooo quiet and efficient - if it hisses you know to turn down the heat. It is simply a very high quality piece of equipment that is worth the eye watering price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tops, 25 Oct 2013
Fireball 61 (Moray, Scotland) - See all my reviews
A veritable ransom was paid for this item and expectations were high. I need not have worried because it is a excellent item. Extremely well made, easy to use and very easy to clean. Overall top marks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pressure cooker, 16 Mar 2013
I have used these for over 20 years together with cookers from tower, prestige and tefal. These are better. Very little loss of steam, very safe and good quality construction. Expensive but perhaps the best - zwilling do one with a good reputation but I haven't tried it.

Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Inox Pressure Cooker (22cm), 5.0 Litre