5.0 out of 5 stars Oliver Twist. Amazing adaptiation!!
Alan Bleasdale's excellent adaptatation of Charles Dickens' classic story of a young boy who's life in Victorian England is far from perfect. His mother died in child birth, so he is brought up in an orphanage, then moved to a work house. Under nourished, he has the nerve to ask for more. From that moment on, the boy begins a journey that sees him fall in to the...
Published on 12 Sept. 2006 by Mr. S. KINNAIRD

3.0 out of 5 stars 'Inspired by' the original text...
In order to enjoy this six-hour adaptation, you need to be aware that it was 'inspired by' the original text of Oliver Twist. The first hour and a half (one quarter of the adaptation) is not in the book at all and is an 'explanation' of what 'might' have led up to events described late in the book. There are lots of other differences from the book, eg Oliver's father is...
Published on 2 Mar. 2013 by D. Took

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Oliver Twist [DVD] (DVD)
Fab version.would use the sellar again

5.0 out of 5 stars If you think you know the story - watch this!, 12 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Oliver Twist [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this version of Oliver Twist on ITV Christmas 2010, it showed over three daily episodes. It's a brilliant adaptation of the Dickens' favourite, well acted, great casting (a who's who? of British acting talent) and as I found out it goes into the original story in depth.

I, like many others have seen two or three different versions over the years usually 100 minute films, all pretty good, including the Lionel Bart musical. I'd also read the book whilst at school (50 years ago) and thought I knew the story well, but this version, partly because of the length, was a revelation to me I couldn't recall a lot of the things that happened in this version being in previous versions, I thought that maybe Alan Bleasdale had embellished the story to pad it out a bit!

Because of this the following week I went out and bought the book because it had raised some doubts in my mind, and there it all was in the book as this version had presented it; sorry Alan I shouldn't have doubted you!

The screenplay, the attention to detail both in the scenes and the story make this the most outstanding version I've ever seen and because I enjoyed it so much I've had to add it to my dvd library. One minor criticism I thought Oliver could have been a bit more feisty and little less angelic.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best version, 31 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Oliver Twist [DVD] (DVD)
Having seen the previous versions of this excellent tale, and the acting involved, this one didn't excite me at all, not the same acting or story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Oliver Twist [DVD] (DVD)
consider myself.. well sold....

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Dec. 2014
marie greenall (craven arms, Shropshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oliver Twist [DVD] (DVD)
saving to watch over christmas

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Oliver Twist [DVD] (DVD)
Wife loved it, and so did I.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why 4:3? I thought it was made as 16:9., 19 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Oliver Twist [DVD] (DVD)
I fully agree with the praise that everyone has given for this version.

There's just one minor thing that puzzles me about the DVD presentation of it: it's 4:3. When it was originally shown on ITV, I recorded it from analogue and the picture was 14:9 (full width with black bars top and bottom) which led me to believe that it was made in 16:9 widescreen and shown like that on digital platforms. But comparing the DVD against my VHS recordings, there's actually a bit of extra picture on the left and right on the VHS which is missing from the DVD. So it looks as if the master film has been cropped to 4:3 for the DVD release. Weird.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Dickens would give this the thumbs up*****, 28 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Oliver Twist [DVD] (DVD)
This is by far the best adaptaion of Oliver Twist I have ever watched no Shmoltz
Just pure Dickens the cast are terrific no one is miss cast I would recommend this to anyone
who enjoys Dickens. The delivery was very fast. Five stars all round.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Nov. 2014
all good

5.0 out of 5 stars dickens brought realisticly to life, 17 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Oliver Twist [DVD] (DVD)
a brilliantsuperb production and although over 6 hours long it neverdrags and covers moreof the story than any other film

Oliver Twist [VHS] [1999]
Oliver Twist [VHS] [1999] by Sam Smith (VHS Tape - 2000)