Format: DVDChange

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 August 2010
One could see this as 'Short Cuts' correlative
opposite. That was a movie with great ambitions, that - while good -
fell just short. This is a movie of much lesser aim (just a good tense
thriller/mystery), that's much more successful on it's own terms.

The acting is very good throughout. It may be my favorite Kenneth
Branagh performance; understated and subtle. And a number of the scenes
really are tense. Altman finds some clever ways to create suspense with
sound and image that aren't just retreads of what we've seen before.

Admittedly, some of the twists are pretty creaky and predictable, the
logic sometimes questionable, and the moral POV of the film is a bit
confusing. But this still blows most modern Hollywood thrillers out of the
water.
on 6 May 2013
Kenneth Branagh's performance makes this worth viewing even if it were not good entertainment (which it is). As a former Southerner and actor I am amazed by not just the accuracy of his "old South" accent but the way he incoporates the character's personality into it - I can close my eyes and hear my nephew, who IS a character! He does this better than any American actor (not from the South) does. Bravo Englishman.
on 18 July 2011
The Gingerbread Man is my favourite film of a John Grisham story. The movie has a very good cast and the direction by Robert Altman is suberb. You are entertained by Robert Duvall, Famke Jansen,Tom Berenger, Robert Downey Junior and others for just under 2 hours in a thoroughly enjoyable thriller. The film isn't massively ambitious and the plot not that complex but it works well in an almost 'Cape Fear' style and I found the story satisfying and not too cliched.
If your a Robert Altman fan don't expect a film like Short Cuts, The Player, The Long Goodbye or McCabe and Mrs Miller, this film is played fast and in a more usual Hollywood way, but that suits the Grisham story. The film will never be regarded as a classic but it's well worth a watch for the cast, the director and the Grisham plot.
on 10 April 2014
Gripping and fascinating film which is very different from Grisham's court-room dramas. We enjoyed it though it could probably be improved upon..
on 9 September 2015
One might think that a film based on a John Grisham story and with a stellar cast had to worth watching. It wasn't! The story was difficult to follow, lacked credibility, and the acting was certainly lacking, although it was difficult to fault Kenneth Branagh's American accent. I have consigned the disc to the local charity shop.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 August 2001
When I first saw this film advertised, I have to admit that I had never heard of it. I considered myself the premiere John Grisham fan. I've read all of his books & practically finish each one before I leave the book store. I thought that somehow one had slipped through the cracks. Well, upon finding out that it wasn't in fact available in book form, I was even more eager to watch. What a rare treat. I settled myself in front of the telly with my popcorn & prepared myself to be delighted in pure John Grisham style. I was not disappointed. I loved every minute of the movie. I would compare it to the styling of the client with the sneaky factor so relished in the firm. It had a good edge with a few surprises. Hail to John Grisham & his gift for entertainment!
0Comment7 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 August 2008
I agree that the talented cast do seem to be wasted in this film but I feel that having the caliber of people such as Robert Duvall, even in a minor role, certainly added weight to the overall project. The plot kept my attention, although there are some events which seem a little unlikely, all in the name of artistic licence. And the majority of it seems to have been filmed at night, in the rain, which I find difficult to watch but did help with the tension needed. Overall, it is an ok film -
it isn't suspenseful or frightening but worth watching all the same.
0Comment3 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 December 2015
Great thank you
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 October 2012
Watched this after seeing the cast list - don't be pulled in! Thin, weak plot (what there is of it), disjointed characters I couldn't care less about, cliche filled and unengaging. Kept watching in the hope there would be an ending to redeem it, but no. Awful, awful film.
on 1 October 2012
I'm sure I was entertained by this film in one way or another but it certainly wont be going in my Top 100.
If you're a fan of Kenneth Branagh or Robert Downey Jr then you should probably buy this.