5.0 out of 5 stars A masterclass in transfers !
I've broken a golden rule with myself as I vowed never to buy a Blu-ray at its full price if I'd already owned the film on a multitude of different formats (VHS , Laserdisc , DVD) , but some films are just worth paying that extra for and I honestly couldn't wait for the price to drop as this is one of my all time favourite films.
Its going to be hard not to quote...
Published on 7 Sept. 2012 by Julian

3.0 out of 5 stars Digital + Ultraviolet Scam
Jaws Ultra Violet and Digital Copy does not work in Ireland. Ultra Violet seems to be limited to USA and UK alone. In my opinion this is a very unfair and callous Marketing ploy - clearly the studios are only too aware of the amount of Apple products being sold and so stick a label on the front of their Blu Rays stating this can go straight to your device but neglects to...
Published on 10 Sept. 2012 by sherman31

‹ Previous | 131 32 3341 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars YOU'RE GONNA NEED A BETTER MEDIUM..., 2 Sept. 2012
AGD "Jonas Mac" (Port Lincoln, South Australia Australia) - See all my reviews
JAWS THE BLU RAY
"What we have here is a perfect movie, all it does is entertain, terrify adults and give little kids nightmares all night long..."
Like most people from my generation, I have a strange but very personal history with this movie. When it first came out I was not able to see it, I think I was thought to be too young. (The Poster did after all warn that this movie might be a bit too intense for little kids). My older brother saw it when it first came out and being a kid who lived inside his own head most of the time; he was able to remember every single line in the movie.
I come from the Bogside in Derry of Northern Ireland and I had absolutely no idea what a shark was, no concept at all - my brother Paddy, told me it was like a goldfish that was grey, that it was about the size of a bus and that it had rows of teeth the size of steak knives, oh yeah, and it also could bite a man clear in half below the waist - Yikes!.
One Halloween's night, a very stormy night if I recall correctly, in a friend's house, we sat, three friends and I, (all of us thought too young to see the film), under the kitchen table in the dark with a candle, and line by line, doing incredibly accurate impersonations of all the characters, the sound effects, the music, the screams from the onlooking bathers as people were eaten alive, my bother created out of the darkness of our overactive imaginations the entire 2hour plus movie and we were rooted to the spot and terrified beyond belief for every minute of that tale. When the shark was about to attack my brother did the two note music and that just built the tension even more than his vivid depictions of the mayhem off Amity.
When I finally saw the movie for the first time it was as a double bill with Jaws 2, - How lucky was I!!! - (which I think is still a pretty decent sequel but could have been better if Spielberg had a hand in it).
Needless to say, Jaws blew me out of my seat and when I had my first glimpse of what a grey goldfish the size of a bus with knives for teeth looked like up close on the big screen I told myself never ever to set foot in the ocean.
When Ben Gardener made his unexpected appearance from the jagged hole, I shot clear out of my seat as my heart jumped right out of my shrieking lungs; the timing, o boy, the timing of that appearance was sheer brilliance and from that moment on, whenever there was water on screen, even a slither of it, I was all bunched up in tension with my eyes darting all over just to make sure that monster was not about to suddenly pop from out of the screen to chomp on me.
As a kid from a slum, when I first saw the Chief's car driving along the beach road at the beginning of the movie I turned to my friend watching with me and told him that one day I would get out of the ghetto and live in a place just like Amity Island and strangely enough, I happen to live now in the very place where the underwater shots of the real shark attacking the cage was shot - Port Lincoln South Australia - a place that looks quite a lot like ole Amity - Weird or what, right?
I loved the movie and still consider it to be one of the most perfect movies ever made, great, mind blowing opening, and great pace, characters you care about, funny, frightening, and suspenseful with a great ending that makes you want to jump up and down on your chair and cheer.
I later read the novel in school, the version without the steamy affair between Hooper and Ellen Brody, and I loved that too. I went on to read Jaws 2 by Hank Searle and that was even better than the sequel movie, (I recommend it).
Over the years I have watched Jaws a number of times in different mediums, the last time being the DVD 2 Disc Edition and I have to say it is still one of my favourite films.
I have ordered it on Blu Ray and although it has still to arrive, I know it will be money well spent because Spielberg has had a hand in the restoration and if there is anything evident about this man when it comes to movies it is he is a perfectionist so I know I am going to have my socks blown off when I finally get to see my favourite film in HD for the first time.
I am already planning a Jaws fest with my eldest daughter, Storm, who also loves Jaws, she has yet to see Jaws 2, and so it is going to be great to watch the first one on Blu Ray and the second one on DVD. I have also ordered the Jaws Novels, 1 & 2, and the Jaws Log by Carl Gottlieb; maybe I should try and get a poster too!
I would like to say thank-you to all the people involved in the making of this movie and to those responsible for bringing it on to Blu Ray because even when we first watched it on video and DVD we all knew the makers were going to need a bigger boat to do this movie justice.
There I got in the best line in the movie.
Great novel, great story, great actors, Roy, Richard & Robert, great screenplay, great cinematography, and brilliant directing from a guy young enough not to know the difference between courage and stupidity.
Can't wait to get back in the water...
UPDATE...
Just received the blu ray and watched it immediately and I suppose the question on everyone's lips is does this transfer deserve me updating from the 30th Anniversary 2 Disc DVD Edition and the answer is YES-INDEEDYDOODY, YOU CAN BET YOUR GRANDPA'S BACK MOLARS AND YOUR GRANDMA'S PRETTY GREY HAIR - That is if he still has them and she isn't as bald and wispy as a China Man's chin -
The images are crisp on this baby now, I noticed things I had never noticed before and I loved that fact, the colours are glorious, the night time water shots are stunning, the blue skies oh so blue, the aqua waters crystal, the sheen of sweat on skin so clear you can see the pores on Chief Brody forehead, all of it wonderfully upgraded. This movie looks even better than it did when it first screened, and let's not forget, this is a 36 year old movie we are talking about. The underwater shots of the shark are especially good and one has to include the eeriness of the SS Indianapolis scene with the whales singing to each other in the background; which brings me to the sound, oh dear me, the sound, when that shark is on its way and the music tells you so, the sound in 7.1 is spine tingling, the hairs on your neck stand up, absolutely brilliant.
And as for the extras, well, we still get all the extras from the 30th Anniversary Edition, including the great Making Of, which ran at 1 hour and 40 minutes and I thought when I first saw that that it was brilliant, I loved all the behind the scenes information; however, the Blu Ray goes even further with another feature length doco called The Shark is Still Working. I thought it would be just more rehash from The Making Of; but oh how wrong I was - this doco alone is worth the upgrade, we get to see a lot more behind the scenes as well as getting to hear some current directors talk about how much of an impact this movie made on them and their careers; wonderful stuff.
So, as good as the DVD was; this Blu Ray treatment blows the DVD clear out of the water, it is most definitely worth the upgrade, it will be the best $20 you will ever spend on a movie and it is a movie that you can now introduce to the younger generation and do it some justice this time round.
Buy it, buy it now, tell all your friends to buy it, if you haven't got the money, go rob a bank, take hostages at gunpoint, do whatever you must do to own this amazing movie in this format; even go tell that old git down the road none of us can stand to go out and buy himself a copy today.
"Show me the way to go home; I'm tired and I want to go to bed; well, I had a little drink about an hour ago and it's gone right to my head, no matter where I roam, through land or sea or foam; you will always hear me singing a song; show me the way to go home..."
Jaws has just arrived.
Finally, she's home!
Shalom

5.0 out of 5 stars Read This For Some Real Reasons For Jaws's Greatness, 2 Jun. 2006
M. D. Hart "Boz Phiz @ DVD" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Some of you may know, some of you may not, that Jaws is considered to be the first ever Modern Blockbuster because it was the first film ever to gross over $100m at the domestic box office. In the 31 years since this occured, nobody could probably calculate how much more has been added since. Is this kind of success deserved? yes it is, and we owe it our gratitude, for these reasons and more:

1) Jaws is responsible for the blockbuster's move towards science fiction, horror and fantasy in the 1970s. This means that without Jaws, we may never have had Star Wars or Indiana Jones... certainly they would not have been as successful if Jaws had not set the precedent.

2) Jaws is what is known as a High-Concept film and was designed to be nothing but raw entertainment through plot-driven means. The characterisation is good in the film, but it all comes out of the action. Despite this attempt at deliberate simplicity, there is also lots in Jaws for the analyst and those among us that just love to find meaning out of nothing; for example, one critic suggested the the Town Mayor's hushing up about the shark was a reflection of the Watergate scandal... see, didn't think of that did you!

3) Jaws was the first film to be released in a multiplex style national release, and set the precedent for the modes of cinema release that we all seem to rely on for entertainment today.

Jaws set many precedents for what has become the modern blockbuster, but aside of its cultural context it is perhaps one of the most atmospheric films ever made; the underwater camera technique allows the audience to see from the point of view of the killer (shark) and is a technique foregrounded in the now-overpopularised slasher films. Additionally, despite being very chilling and phobic for anybody that hates water, Jaws is hilarious in parts and has something for everybody! The scene in which Roy Scheider first encounters the shark is particularly important because it is funny, famous and iconic. Of course the one down side is the poor mechanical quality of the animatronics, which Spielberg amusingly referred to as "the great white turd". If you buy Jaws you must have special features; the 25th Anniversary edition was better and would be worth more to a collector but if you do not own Jaws, you really do need to kick yourself in the backside and buy it now, even if it is only so you can claim to own a piece of history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jaws, 28 Jan. 2014
Be afraid, be very afraid. This timeless classic still has the power to shock the unwary. It also includes a second disk with brilliant information about behind the scenes and sharks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy!, 22 Jan. 2014
The blu-Ray arrived in perfect condition & was delivered very quickly. It was also much cheaper here than anywhere else! Added bonus is that this film is the best film ever :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Film, 20 Jan. 2010
I can't believe some noobs rated this with 1 to 4 stars. Luckily most rated it with five stars that it deserves. I guess the noobs that rated it from 1 to 4 stars are too dumb to know the impact that JAWS smashed to us with the excitement and fear and it still lives on forever. Sadly those noobs also live on forever being so stupid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Jaws [DVD] [1975] (DVD)
classic

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Jaws [DVD] [1975] (DVD)
Classic

5.0 out of 5 stars dum,dum,dum,dum......, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Jaws (Amazon Instant Video)
classic movie! Let my daughters watch it for the first time, forgot how tense it is!
They'll never go in the water again....

5.0 out of 5 stars Durr dum., 12 Jun. 2008
Durr dum.

Durr dum.

Durr dum durr dum durrdum durrdum...

ARGHHHH!

5.0 out of 5 stars jaws in all its glory!, 19 Jan. 2013
I have been a fan of jaws since I was a toddler, and after seeingit in blu ray, I am relishing all those first memorys in a highly restored masterpiece!!!!

‹ Previous | 131 32 3341 | Next ›

Jaws [VHS] [1976]
Jaws [VHS] [1976] by Steven Spielberg (VHS Tape - 2003)