5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 7 April 2000
This review is from: Chore of Enchantment (Audio CD)
I bought this as a complete blind buy, based entirely on the recomendations of a guy I met for ten minutes in the pub. Now I will have to run the risk of becoming an alcoholic, just to see if he comes back and gives me more tips like this. If I did turn to drink, I could think of no better sound track than Giant Sand. A fantastic album, full of surprising tunes. I hesitate to draw the easy comparison with Leonard Cohen, which most people will make on hearing Giant Sand, because I have yet to hear a Cohen album as good as this. Buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Jan. 2001
This review is from: Chore of Enchantment (Audio CD)
I brought this album as an impluse after reading many many good reviews of it. On first play though I was interested by it, I wasn't so sure if I liked it that much. However if you ever want an album to sneak into your heart and catch you by surprise then this'll be the one for you. I am now completely hooked - it's utterly wonderful. Mellow, diverse, catchy and addictive. I have even lost the Lou Reed comparision that un-nerved me a little at the begining. Buy buy buy - you just can't lose.

5.0 out of 5 stars An album of sparkling beauty and concept, 16 Jan. 2001
This review is from: Chore of Enchantment (Audio CD)
Years and years I have searched for a simple, organic album while displaying something unique against other alternative outfits. The album also moves with a vivid enchantment. Songs like Shiver and Punishing Sun are works of polished and traditional good song writing; songs like Temptation of Egg and No Repley breed manifestions of upbeat blues and and soul. Then tracks like Satellite and Wolfy and the amazing Dusted show a more rock orientated, daring and origanal concept. It's greatest achievment is that it has no influence or need to match up to or produce music that is in demand or commercially centred. This haunting and pure album, untainted by a bad song, is just a staggering and momumentous piece of work. Its movement from light to dark, heavy to weightless, shifting seemlessly between, is worth celebrating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Giant Sands finest album - a masterpiece - buy it!, 30 Mar. 2000
M. MCGOWAN "crimsonflames" (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chore of Enchantment (Audio CD)
Why is this album so sensational? Because it works....it grooves...it just pulls me in from the first moment - Overture is just intriguing: it grabs me - it's impossible to press play on the CD player and not pay attention - it builds suspense, every time I listen I'm drawn in, waiting for that moment when it ends and the beautiful bass line leads me into one Howe's most engaging vocals. I just 'don't know, what to do'. "Temptation of Egg" is simply a revelation! One of the great Giant Sand Tracks, realised and evolved magically from the embryo that lives on Hisser. God I love this album. The whole album follows suit - a perfect union of that sleazy Calexico sound and Howe's very own noise that just mixes things up so unpredictably - there are ultra slick sounding tunes, raw edgy tunes remeniscent of the way Howe finds his way through a melody or a riff to a fully formed song in concert and things that drift from one to the other - Under a Punishing Sun. There's 1972, followed by "Egg" - how much more variety and edginess do you want? "Shiver" makes me do just that - I guess there must be 'something in the water'. "Satellite" is a perfect piece of Giant Sand of old - heavy drums and guitars swirling and crashing and washed with beautiful vocals. "Bottom Line Man" whisks me back to a night in London with Howe and Bob Neuwirth. Howe flicking through his note book and digging out the beginnings of a song. Here we are with the completed masterpiece. I love it. 'Three cheers for Madame Bottom Line' ...Three cheers for Mr Gelb. Shrine closes it all up, and makes me reach for 'Worried Spirits' - I guess that's what it's there for - so that we don't forget one of the greatest blues-men that ever lived. (and whose music still lives, LOUDER than ever) What more could giant Sand have given us? It's got Giant Sand of old, sounds of Calexico, lots of new ideas and musical avenues to travel down. This album feels comfortable - it feels good, as though it's Giant Sand doing their thing - without hindrance or worry. it reminds me of Dylan's Time Out of Mind - the perfect blend of all the things that we've heard from Giant Sand/Calexico/OP8 over recent years, just as TOOM is a blend of classic Dylan, classic blues and folk. It's the perfect new Giant Sand album as far as I'm concerned - another beautiful step along the road. I'm sure glad to be along on the journey.........hear this album! Martin McGowan

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars not 2,son, 22 July 2004
Callie (To the North) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chore of Enchantment (Audio CD)
Over the years Giant Sand albums have all been excellent,but if i had to choose my favourite i would say "Chore of Enchantment!It has everything,the beautiful ballads,the funky "wolfy" and the grunge/crazy Horse on "Satellite" What makes them so unique is there variation of musical styles and the magical songwriting of Howe.
On this album all the tracks seem to blend nicely into one another.
Two tracks,"Shiver" and "Tempation of egg" appear on the "Selections Circa 1990-2000" Best of album !

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Perfect, 26 Sept. 2000
This review is from: Chore of Enchantment (Audio CD)
Wonderful CD, very laidback and absolutely cool. His voice reminds me of Lou Reed's less experimental songs. Buy it!

Chore of Enchantment
Chore of Enchantment by Giant Sand (Audio CD - 2000)