5.0 out of 5 stars "objection, your honour!"
I've had one of these for years. I was just looking one up on amazon to buy one for my Mum, who always comments on the good design (she has arthritis), and I noticed what a lot of negative reviews it had. Wondering what the issues were, I skimmed over them

Published 15 months ago by Broken iPod owner

3.0 out of 5 stars good but fragile
OXO Good Grips Smooth Potato Masher
Worked very well but rivets at sides small & after a year gave way.
Published on 9 May 2009 by David

5.0 out of 5 stars "objection, your honour!", 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Smooth Potato Masher (Kitchen & Home)

I have no idea who wrote them, but the idea that you can buckle this thing easily is such rubbish I felt moved to type this. I could buckle it by putting my full weight on it, but the metal is about as thick as a butter knife's blade. The idea that a cooked potato could inadvertantly buckle it is either written by someone trying to mash a raw potato, or someone who is deliberately writing a negative review

My wrist has never been full strength from breaking it years ago, and traditional potato mashing always aggravated it. but this allows you to 'punch' potatoes/whatever in the most natural and forceful way. I would recommend it to anyone who cooks potatoes before mashing them. I actually bought mine after seeing Jamie Oliver mash a load of stock up in a saucepan with one and looked for ages before finding one in John Lewis

3.0 out of 5 stars good but fragile, 9 May 2009
David (London, UK) - See all my reviews
OXO Good Grips Smooth Potato Masher
Worked very well but rivets at sides small & after a year gave way.

1.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy., 2 Mar 2010
Amazon Customer (Hunstanton, Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Smooth Potato Masher (Kitchen & Home)
The legs of this masher are welded on to the mashing plate, instead of all being one piece, and the handle is also not very securely added on. This makes for a weak structure which very quickly buckles and becomes virtually unusable, however much you may like it at first. Don't buy it! Buy instead the Cuisipro Tempo Potato Masher (which I replaced the OXO with), bigger, easier and more comfortable to use, made from one very, very solid piece of stainless steel, will last forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... coated version of this masher and it is absolutely great. I cannot understand why stick handle mashers are ..., 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Smooth Potato Masher (Kitchen & Home)
I have the silicone coated version of this masher and it is absolutely great. I cannot understand why stick handle mashers are still being produced when this design is so simple to use and does not hurt your hand. I would recommend purchasing the silicone coated one if you can find it as it is both safe to use in non-stick pans and also washes very easily as the potato does not stick. I always use a ricer for potatoes before mashing in some grated cheese, so it doesn't have to do a difficult job with potato. However, I also prepare batches of root vegetable mash using carrot, turnip, parsnips and roasted butternut squash and sweet potato, and I use this masher to roughly break the veg down before freezing in portions. So easy to use and to wash afterwards.

2.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT BUT FRAIL., 12 Nov 2009
George K. D. Murray (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Smooth Potato Masher (Kitchen & Home)
EXCELLENT DESIGN, EFFORTLESS & SMOOTH MASH. BUCKLES UNDER AVERAGE PRESSURE, NOT STRONG ENOUGH, NOR TALL ENOUGH. WITH A UPGRADE, IT COULD BE THE BEST ON THE MARKET.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Masher Available, 16 Aug 2014
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Smooth Potato Masher (Kitchen & Home)
Like many of you I have used an electric mixer to make mashed potatoes, and what I ended up with was a mess of glue like potatoes. Not appealing in any way. I had an old potato masher that I used, but it broke. I look upon that occasion as a stroke of luck.

This potato masher is the best I have ever used, and makes the best mashed potatoes. First of all, you should always make sure your potatoes are as dry as possible. After draining the potatoes, leave them in the pan over med heat until you are sure they are dry. Then place them in a receptacle that is deep and wide enough to mash. The oversize handle is so easy to use and is great for mashing. The wide head of the masher eliminates any lumps, but if you want a few lumps leave them. Mix butter and a small amount of warm cream, salt and pepper into the potatoes, and you will have the most delicious mashed potatoes you have ever had.

Oxo is the brand to buy for most household/kitchen tools. They are well priced,and always well made. You can depend upon this brand. I found this brand after reading Jessica Seinfeld's blog. You can either hand wash the masher or put it in your dishwasher, it is your choice.

Recommended. prisrob 08-16-14

5.0 out of 5 stars MASH WITH LESS EFFORT!! - THE BEST DESIGNED MASHER ON THE MARKET, 10 Oct 2007
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Smooth Potato Masher (Kitchen & Home)
IF YOU WANT A POTATO MASHER WHERE THE SHAFT DOESN'T FEEL AS THOUGH IT'S GOING THROUGH YOUR PALM THIS IS THE ONE FOR YOU.

FOR ANYONE WITH A WEAK HAND OR ARM, THE WELL DESIGNED HANDLE ALLOWS BETTER LEVERAGE FOR MASHING WITH LESS EFFORT.

YOU WON'T REGRET BUYING THIS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jelly, Devon., 12 July 2013
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Smooth Potato Masher (Kitchen & Home)
Brilliant masher. So easy to use and very comfortable in your hand. Best one I have ever had. Would definitely recommend this to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Masher Ever!!!!, 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Smooth Potato Masher (Kitchen & Home)
Purchased this for my mum as her old masher broke, she is soooooo happy with this one that every time she has to use it she goes on about how amazing it is :D I also used it to make guacamole last week after I had chopped up the avocado and it worked really well!

Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 10 July 2013
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Smooth Potato Masher (Kitchen & Home)
Was a present for mother in law who struggled to use a normal masher , she struggles with arthritis and this has done wonders.