Colour: Black|Package Quantity: 1|Change

on 27 July 2008
There is nothing to say about this product except wow. I have been using oxo peeler's for a few years now and when our can opener finally died we thought long and hard whether to spend nearly £10 on a can opener when you can get them for less than a £1. But i came to my senses and bought it. From the first use it has been a dream, it takes the top off a can first time every time no muss no fuss. You don't have to go around the can loads of times, and no jagged edges, and no effort at all to use. Its worth the extra cash to not have the mess or stress.

July 2012
I thought that i would let people know that this can opener is still going strong, it is used nearly every day (we have a fussy toddler who loves beans) and it is still as good as the first time we used it, I would still recommend it is well worth the money

April 2015
Sadly the handle broke at lunch time today, it is still usable but it is no longer comfortable to use. I have however just bought another one as I think it was more than worth the money
11 comment| 205 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 November 2010
This tin opener pierces the top of the tin not the side in case anyone wants to know. I much prefer a tin opener that pierces the top than the side personally. As with the rest of the positive reviews here, I found this tin opener amazing. It sliced through a tuna tin like butter. Yes it is pricey for a tin opener but the unbelievable speed and ease it affords is worth it if it is something your budget can stretch to. As for the negative reviews here...well it seems common on the internet that people will post negative comments just out of spite or simply because they can, but I would suggest the reader totally ignore the negative reviews here which seem to me to have no basis in reality regarding the product. Seriously. I bought this item despite the fears the negative reviews here inspired and I'm glad I did...it's an astonishing tin opener. I also had to risk buying it not knowing whether it would be a top piercer or side piercer, and I was relieved to find it was a top piercer. I noticed one reviewer complained about this saying they didn't like having to fish the lid out. Nonsense. You just press down lightly on one side of the now detached lid, it tips the other side of the lid up making it easy to grip and remove, and because the pierced edge is so clean because of the high quality of the tin opener, there are no jagged edges. I have always found side pierced tins to be one step away from A & E. Like I said, budget allowing, astonishing. Can't believe I am writing about a tin opener.
77 comments| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 November 2007
I have never owned an easy to use can opener until now. I have only used this twice - but the blade is sharp and you don't have to wrench it and twist it around the can to perhaps get half the lid off like the others. It is simply a doddle. Well done Oxo!!
on 7 October 2010
It doesn't chew them up; it doesn't jam; it doesn't send them skidding across the worktop; it doesn't leave you swearing & fuming & yelling at your OH to help you open your peaches....

IT ACTUALLY JUST OPENS CANS!

£8 is a small price to pay for a brilliant product that has restored sanity to my kitchen :)
on 10 January 2009
I'm left handed and this can opener is the business. Can be used by righties too and is damn good quality. Very little effort needed to turn the ?handle - not sure if that is what it is called!!!- cleans easily and is very comfortable to the paw. Would recommend -worth the money.
on 5 November 2010
Having bought about six cheap ones in the hope one would work for more than a week, this one was fantastic. It is easy to use and 'fastens' on with no effort, smoothly and easily cutting into the can- no jagged edges. Instead of taking ages I can now open a can in two seconds without having a tantrum.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 10 April 2016
Nice opener this. The mechanism secures onto the can very simply with no messing about. The handles open to 180° for easy cleaning. The cutter handle is large and easy to turn so would be ideal for anyone who struggles with can openers.
Decent quality as usual from an OXO product.
review image review image review image
on 27 February 2015
I bought this when I purchased the OXO salt and pepper grinders and peeler because I thought it looked more modern and would be easy to use. This has not worked for me at all and I have struggled to get the cans open. Consequently I have given up on it and gone back to my old one which does the same thing but is lighter and easier to use than this one.
on 23 November 2015
For years, I repeated bought crappy can openers that would break after very short periods of time. I've probably gone through at least 15 can openers in my adult life. I knew that this wasn't a flaw in the design of can openers, generally, just in my seeming aversion to buying good ones that would last more than a couple of weeks.

My thought process usually goes something like this:

"Oh no, the can opener is starting to break again."

***one week later***

"Oh crap, the can opener has broken again."

***one week later***

*Oh no, the can opener is broken. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME??? How am I going to open this tin of tomatoes now? I must run up to the high street to buy a new one..."

I subsequently purchase a cheap can opener from the one shop on the high street that sells them, and it's a jobby that you could get from the 99p store but that I've been suckered into paying £4.99 for.

Well, the last time my cheap can opener broke, I vowed to break the cycle and bought this one from Amazon. And it's brilliant. I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted me at least a year. Maybe even five. The prospect fills me with joy.
on 25 April 2016
This opener has passed the acid test. Yes, it actually opened a Fray Bentos tin with ease. My last attempt took me 15 minutes, two different tin openers and one snapped knife blade. I nearly threw the effing pie away.
The OXO opener pierced the tin first time but for some reason, refused to turn clockwise. Despair set in but I just turned it anticlockwise instead and it took the lid off in one go. Hallelujah !.
The opener itself is solid, well-made and likely to last. Definitely the goto opener for problem tins.