5.0 out of 5 stars Opens jars easily, bottles too
I've had one of these Oxo Good Grips jar openers for years, and have just ordered another for a relative.

Published on 1 Feb 2011 by dj.si

1.0 out of 5 stars useless
A recent change in design of jam jar lids has rendered this lid opener all but useless; lids now often have a chamfered rim about 5mm deep, preventing the teeth from gripping the vertical section. Which prompts the question, why has the design of jam jar lids been changed?
Published 19 months ago by dma1001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Opens jars easily, bottles too, 1 Feb 2011
dj.si (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Jar Opener (Kitchen & Home)

I'd say there is a bit of a knack to making this gadget work every time, but for me it's never failed. With the jar stable on a flat surface, the trick is to wedge the jar's lid firmly into the V-shaped grip so that the teeth on one side of the V get a good grip on the lid, then just twist. For stubborn lids I find that extending the index and middle fingers over the V-shape (i.e. over the lid) and applying a bit of downward pressure prevent the gadget from slipping off while twisting.

As per my title, I've successfully used this to remove the smaller plastic tops off fizzy drinks bottles too.

The only thing to be aware of is that the teeth do tend to leave small indentations in the lid, though that probably won't bother anyone greatly.

Verdict: Opens jars and bottles every time. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars If at first you don't succeed ..........., 2 May 2011
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Jar Opener (Kitchen & Home)
If at first you don't succeed is true with this item. I was lucky and got the knack of using it quickly but have had to show a couple of friends how as they were struggling. I could not manage to open jar/screw top bottles etc nowadays without it. It is difficult to put into writing but I will try. Grip the handle as firmly as possibly with thumb amd outside 3 fingers with your index finger on top, pushing into the jar and downwards at the same time as twisting anti-clockwise. I have found this method releases even the toughest heat sealed jam jars. If I can't get a good grip on the jar with my other hand I grip it with an off cut of the non slip matting that comes in a roll.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oxo Good Grips Jar Opener, 19 Jan 2010
G. M. Evans - See all my reviews
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Jar Opener (Kitchen & Home)
OXO Good Grips Jar Opener.
No kitchen should be without one. Especially good for a person with weak hands. I am surprised that it is impossible to obtain one on the High Street. My old one lasted me over 10 years and was in constant use.
{Gwenda Evans}

1.0 out of 5 stars useless, 11 Dec 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Jar opener, 21 Oct 2012
Mr. Raymond Walker (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Jar Opener (Kitchen & Home)
As one gets older and opening some jars and containers becomes more difficult, this jar opener is a very useful addition to the kitchen. I have been really impressed and have purchased such jar openers as gifts for friends. It is much easier to use than more complicated mechanical openers. My friends eulogise about such jar openers too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jar opener par excellance!, 12 Nov 2011
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Jar Opener (Kitchen & Home)
Ages ago I purchased a huge jar of gherkins and despite elastic bands, wrenches, screwdrivers, tea-towels and anything else I could think of (including a couple of strong fellas trying to be helpful) nothing managed to open the jar.
Anyway the jar is now half empty and no more strained wrists and friction burns!!
Fan-blooming-tastic!

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't open a villiage fete......., 11 Aug 2010
Mrs. D. J. Smith "eowyngreenleaf" (Luton, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Jar Opener (Kitchen & Home)
I had some jars with lids really stuck on, but this product wasn't the answer. It didn't grip the lids properly and scratching them and leaving messy indentations. I got a refund for it as not fit for purpose!

5.0 out of 5 stars well recomended, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Jar Opener (Kitchen & Home)
I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and this device has been amazing for opening new jars etc,, even to an able bodied person I reckon the Good Grips Jar Opener would be an advantage. Great product design and very practical.

5.0 out of 5 stars great tool, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Jar Opener (Kitchen & Home)
Good design and will open any size screw type lid, would recomend to any one with a weak grip, I say make life easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Grip, 27 May 2012
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Jar Opener (Kitchen & Home)
I could not manage without this OXO jar opener, it works like magic. My hands are not very strong and this enables me to open all kinds of jars,plastic milk bottles etc. When my very old one broke I looked on the internet and found this new model - what a life saver!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›