4.0 out of 5 stars Cucumber Slumber
Published on 18 Mar 2011 by Fletch-a-sketch

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but not great either.
Published on 5 Feb 2010 by Ray C

4.0 out of 5 stars Cucumber Slumber, 18 Mar 2011
Fletch-a-sketch "Fletch" (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Well recorded celebration of the music of `Weather Report', Weather Report were a Jazz fusion band very popular in the 1970's at the time cutting edge and one of the few Jazz crossover bands to have a popular hit in `Birdland'. What attracted me to this disc was the long list of current exponents of jazz music and the fact that this was a DVDA produced by a company renowned for quality. To that end we have here is a very well played and recorded Surround sound disc, however the musical interpretations are for me rather disappointing verging on the middle of the road at times, which is a shame, as this could have been so much better. Fans of `Weather Report' may well like this disc, but casual fans might struggle a bit to understand how good `Weather report' really were if they base their knowledge on this disc alone.
The surround is good with nice use of all speakers and it comes with DVDA, DTS and Dolby Digital versions on the disc so compatible with All DVD and Blu Ray players. And as a bonus for the iPod generation there are pre ripped MP3s though I am not sure that the sort of person who would be buying this disc would actually use them, it's a nice touch anyway.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but not great either., 5 Feb 2010
Ray C (Luton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celebrating the Music of Weather Report (Audio CD)
This is a decent record but I have to admit I was expecting a bit more from it. The fact that so many big jazz names are involved got me exited, so I bought it. Well, the truth is, the original versions by Weather Report are so good that even these great musicians failed to improve any of them. I guess one should see this record as just a tribute to a great band and appreciate this record for what it is and not compare it with the originals. If you can do that, then, there are some good moments to be enjoyed, especially from the Brecker brothers.

Celebrating the Music of Weather Report
Celebrating the Music of Weather Report by Jason Miles (Audio CD - 2008)