4.0 out of 5 stars Fire In The Hole
Backdraft may be a glorified soap opera but it is still the best film about firemen ever committed to celluloid.
Published on 26 Jan 2006 by Mr. P. Gwilliam

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, I don't get it. There's more holes ...
Published 18 days ago by M. J. Finch

4.0 out of 5 stars Fire In The Hole, 26 Jan 2006
This review is from: Backdraft [DVD] [1991] (DVD)
Finely acted by all involved and with a top notch supporting cast. The story although mirroring every cop drama ever made runs along nicely giving you enough twists to throw you off the scent and also to talk about long after the final credits have rolled.

What helps Backdraft stand head and shoulders above it's competitors though is the fire itself, the special effects are excellent. Becoming an integral supporting character, Howard directs the flames as if they were another actor and as fire weaves its magic you can't help but be drawn into the plot.

Despite his oscar successes since this film. Backdraft still remains director Ron Howard's finest moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars burn 'em all, 28 Dec 2008
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Backdraft [DVD] [1991] (DVD)
It's years since I last watched this movie, but I was sorting out my dvd collection and decided to slip it in the player. I was so glad that I did.

It wasn't that I had forgotten that it was a great film, it was that I wondered if it was a good as I remembered, it wasn't it was better than I remembered.

Kurt Russell, Robert DeNiro, and Donald Sutherland are particularly good, but the entire cast does so well. It is an amazing film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great when alight but far too watered-down between infernos, 11 May 2012
Trevor Willsmer (London, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Backdraft [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Backdraft has some of the most impressive fire scenes ever shot and some daring stunt work (three of the leads, Kurt Russell, Scott Glenn and William Baldwin, are actually billed as stuntmen), but unfortunately it's wrapped up in a trite two-brothers-at-each-other's-throats plot that keeps it from being anything more than a high-priced soap opera with burning buildings. And, it has to be said, it looks a lot less impressive on the small screen than it did on the big one. Despite the ostensibly impressive ensemble cast, some of the supporting performances are weak, with Jennifer Jason Leigh proving big time that she really can't play `normal' while Donald Sutherland's Hannibal Firelighter is too Looney Tunes to convince even in his brief screen time, while Baldwin is a considerably less compelling leading man than Russell but gets the lion's share of the screen time anyway. The result is a modestly entertaining but entirely predictable studio picture that plays everything but the conflagrations safe.

The original UK DVD was disappointingly bare-bones, but the Blu-ray release includes all the extras from the US two-disc DVD special edition. While many of the plethora of deleted scenes are just brief trims or purely redundant, it seems that a lot of the murder mystery plot and much of Robert De Niro's lazy turn as an arson investigator also hit the cutting room floor, alongside a couple of good fraternal confrontations, but there's little to imply that a better film was left on the cutting room floor. There's a good selection of featurettes as well to make up for the original bare-bones release, though it's disappointing that the two good theatrical trailers aren't included in the set. Picture quality on the Blu-ray is certainly an improvement over the DVD without the kind of excessive DNR problems that some early Universal Blu-ray titles like Tremors were notorious for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning special effects and fire sequences, 10 Dec 2011
RR Waller "ISeneca" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Backdraft [DVD] [1991] (DVD)
Directed by Ron Howard starring Kurt Russell, William Baldwin, Robert De Niro, Donald Sutherland and Jennifer Jason Leigh, without doubt, for me, the stars of the film are the fire and special effects! The story about the firefighters was interesting and gave some fascinating insights into why some exceptional and brave people decide to devote their lives and, in extreme cases, give their lives to firefighting.

Having the DVD (with a good set of bonus material listed above) allows me to freeze and stop-action the fire sequences, showing clearly the awesome destructive power of fire and the creative and technical expertise which created the effects.

I know this is not why I should have enjoyed the film (particularly in the cinema when the sound effects were so powerful) and that I should have been paying more attention to the storyline but, there it is. The fire is the star and, ever since, I have appreciated our firefighters so much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Backdraft (1991), 17 Mar 2005
Mr. SW Broadhurst "annbarratt2" (manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Backdraft [DVD] [1991] (DVD)
Excellant film kept me on the edge of my seat and also the music is brillint.The music seemes to keep the film going but its still a film you can watch over and over again and never loose interest i am so glad i bought it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, I don't get it. There's more holes ..., 28 Aug 2014
M. J. Finch "Mike Finch" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Backdraft [DVD] [1991] (DVD)
Sorry, I don't get it. There's more holes in the plot than a string vest, for example, all the firemen going up to a blazing building in the lift? And why is the safety conscious Kurt Russell allowed to be the only one to go into a smoke filled room without an oxygen mask? And one of the firemen is the arsonist? Sorry, when I got almost to the end and Kurt Russell calls out "....that's my brother!" I just had to turn off. Sorry, know there'll be howls of protest at what an ignoramus I am but there it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last!, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Backdraft [DVD] [1991] (DVD)
I have been searching for this DVD for quite some time either to rent or buy - impossible. My daughter was thrilled with the surprise parcel that come in the post last week.

Great film - great cast - strongly recommended.

Price perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars he s my brother, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Backdraft [DVD] [1991] (DVD)
a brilliant film as two boys lose their firefighter father and both turn out as firefighters o,elder brother a higher rank,as tthey fight fires,and try to find who is the fire starter,great special effects and a brilliant film,definately recommend this

4.0 out of 5 stars A myst see, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Backdraft [DVD] [1991] (DVD)
This is the best firefighting film that I've ever viewed, a well-crafted film, with a decent cast. It is a cult-classic, as far as I'm concerned.

5.0 out of 5 stars mm, 25 Dec 2013
This review is from: Backdraft [DVD] [1991] (DVD)
What a film !!!! This is one of my favourite films. I wore my last one out so im glad there was a replacement.. . good value, good service and delivery within days

Backdraft [DVD] [1991]
Backdraft [DVD] [1991] by Ron Howard (DVD - 2006)
3.50