5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars aren't enough!!!!!! I give it 10 out of 5 !!!!!!
10 Things I Hate About You is a fairly basic teen love story, but with the added twist of Shakespeare and very good comedic acting.
Published on 5 Oct 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Teeny Chick Flick
Great for a rainy day, or when you just need perking up with a good bit of teeny romance.

It's a lovely, feel-good romantic teen movie - and it's not sickeningly girly either. I like Kat's wild independent, but underneath vulnerable character.

Published on 10 Oct 2007 by Fiona

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars aren't enough!!!!!! I give it 10 out of 5 !!!!!!, 5 Oct 2002
This review is from: 10 Things I Hate About You [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
The story is based on Shakespeare's Taiming of the Shrew. It is about two sisters, one very popular, Bianca Stratford(sexy: Larisa Oleynik) and the other, Katrina or "Kat"(superb: Julia Stiles) hated because of her gruff character. Their overbearing father(hilarious: Larry Miller), devises a scheme whereby Bianca cannot date until rebellious Kat does, which seems an impossibility. Thereby is set up a scheme to pair Kat off with the roguish Patrick Verona(outstanding: Heath Ledger). One of the masterminds of this plot is Cameron James(cute: Joseph Gordon-Levitt), a newcomer to Padua high, where the movie takes place. The other is his assistant of sorts, Michael Eckman(David Khyumoltz).
Though somewhat predictable, especially if you have read Taming of the Shrew, it is an interesting light diversion. The dialogue is quite well done, interwining a word or phrase from Shakespeares with modern teen slang. Other does to Shakespeare are seen in Kat's friend who idolizes him as if he is a teen heartthrob, plus reading of his works in one Kat's classes. The timing in the dialogue is also very Shakespearean. It's very rapid fire. I think both David Khumoltz and Larry Miller are amazingly funny!
Overall, this is not your typical shallow teen romance movie, but can appeal to anyone who enjoys witty dialogue, and many literary references.
The DVD is unremarkable. It has a good DD 5.1 soundtrack driven by a nice selection of alternative rock - Letters from Clio had several cameos, but I believe they mainly played cover tunes, not their own stuff. The DVD does not contain any special features.

4.0 out of 5 stars 10 Things I Hate About You, 25 Jun 2006
Dave Kraven (Burbage, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: 10 Things I Hate About You [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
A classy teen update on Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew, this handsomely made and very diverting romantic comedy more than hits all the right comedic buttons as well as the romantic ones. Kat (played tremendously well by Julia Stiles) hates everybody which causes a slight problem for her gorgeous sister Bianca (Larisa Oleynik), when their dad tells her that she can't date until Kat does. Presenting loner Patrick Verona (Heath Ledger) who's the unlucky guy who introduces Kat to the dating scene while Cameron Jones (Third Rock from the Sun's Joseph Gordon-Levitt) tries his luck with Bianca. The young cast are impressive with Ledger and Stiles being on top with their excellent conversations that includes bickering and sweet-talk whilst Gordon-Levitt surprises as Bianca's sweet but geeky admirer. The script's nicely paced, the slick direction from newcomer Gil Junger's inspiring and delightful and the end result is predictable but ever-so rewarding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film, disappointing DVD!, 19 Feb 2001
This review is from: 10 Things I Hate About You [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
10 Things I Hate About You is an excellent film. It's full of the usual, pathetic, American high school prom stuff but manages to keep you entertained throughout. Performances are fantastic especially Julia Stiles' spot on portrayel of the school outcast. Definitely worth viewing.
The main let down with this DVD is the extra content, or lack of it! There are no extra features on the Region 2 disk which is a real disappointment. There's lots of potential for quotes or information about the inspiration (William Shakespeare's Taming Of The Shrew).
Worth buying for the film content but not exceptional for DVD features.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Film Ever!, 27 Jan 2006
This review is from: 10 Things I Hate About You [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
This is my favourite film of all time, a take on Shakespear in a way that is fun and interesting to watch. A great love story you find yourself getting really involved with all the characters. Once you've watched it once you'll want to watch it again. I dont know how I coped without this film, I absolutely love it! A must have for everyones collection, Buy it now. Its also got a catchy soundtrack.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 things I love about 10 things I hate about you., 10 May 2003
1. Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The most adorable guy on the planet. If there was only one reason to watch '10 things', this awesome 3rd rock star would be it.
2.The fantastic cast. Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger work perfectly together, Larisa Oleynik is Stunning, David Krumholtz has the geeky best friend to a tee and Andrew Keegan shines as the guy we love to hate. Extra credit to Daryl Mitchell as the coolest teacher ever.
3.The fab soundtrack. Letters To Cleo are brilliant, and the entire songlist is hip and cool. I personally can't stop playing the CD!
4.The brilliant script. I love all the subtle hints to shakespeare, and I reckon this film holds the greatest one liners in hollywood!
5.The setting. The backdrop of seattle if gorgeous, and what wouldn't I give to go to school at Padua?
6.The bloopers. I don't think I've ever seen actors be so cool (and so funny) about messing up!
7.The storyline. I love the way everything is changed ever so slightly, and how shakespeare transfers so neatly into a teen scene.
8.The singing scene on the quad. What wouldn't I give to have Joseph G-L sing to me like Patrick sings to Kat? You're just to good to be true.....
9.The director. Some of the stuff is shot perfectly, e.g the "invitations down the stairs" scene. Congrats to Gil Junger.
10. The bit where Bianca kicks the crap out of Joey. Difinative Girl Power moment.
WATCH IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not Shakespeare, but it's close, 24 July 2000
By A Customer
Bored? Nothing to do? Have a few hours to spend? Then I highly recommend a movie I've watched this past weekend, 10 Things I Hate About You.
It's loosely based on Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew, but it's set in a high school in modern day. The premise of the movie is as follows:
Popular, beautiful teenager cannot date due to paranoid father. Father lays down the rule that she can only date when her older sister starts to do so, older sister being a mean, foul-mouthed girl. Boy who is crazily in love with popular, beautiful teenager hatches a plan to get the older sister dating.
Nowe I know what you guys are thinking- it's the same 'ol same 'ol, an average mindless teen flick. But it's not. It's much better than that. Sure it's not a terribly deep film with a fairly predictable sotry-line. But this movie has many witty lines and very watchable characters- even the minor characters are very well-developed, especially the paranoid father. Furthermore, the lead actress is extremely watchable- Julia Stiles- with her sassy attitude and warped outlook on life. Watch it, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
I liked it so much when I watched it for the first time on video that I rewound to my favourite parts and watched it again twice. It is so much better than the vaguely similar She's All That, which is dead boring.
Trust me. Watch it. But remember, it's not Shakespeare. It's not violent, mindless action. It's a gentle romantic comedy with a really good lead actress, many funny lines and a rocking soundtrack.

5.0 out of 5 stars There are more than 10 things I love about this film, 27 Mar 2007
H. Coles "Walking contradiction" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10 Things I Hate About You [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
I have to admit I was a little sceptical when I first approached this film as I absolutely love Shakespeare, however I was pleasantly surprised! The plot is of course brilliant and the casting equally so with charasmatic Heath Ledger as Patrick Verona and Julia Stiles as Kat Stratford and the partnership works very well. Gordon-Levitt on the other hand offers us a relatively weak performance, but don't let it put you off. Not only is this film funny and moving (I cry every time Kat reads her poem in front of the class) but it is also one I would recommend for every dvd collection. It may not be up there as far as adaptations go with Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet, however it is fresh, sharp and very entertaining. Buy it if you havn't already!

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 things I love about this film!!, 18 July 2006
E. M. James "hardymaster2001" (Herefordshire, England) - See all my reviews
1. Storyline is supreme

2. Heath Ledger is brilliant!

3. Julia Stiles plays Kat so well

4. It had me in stitches laughing at points

5. Still gives me tingles even afer about the 40th time of watching

6. Slightly different to all the other teen romantic comedies

7. Despite what people say, it isn't as cheesy as some other movies

8. The acting is of top quality

9. Even for someone who doesn't like these kind of movies (i.e. my brother) enjoys it

10. It has become my favourite film of all time!

Seriously, I cannot stop watching it! I love it! It appeals to the teenage girl in me as well as the strong minded (I hope!) woman in me! The soundtrack to the film is amazing and this film honestly had me near to tears at points. I can't believe i didn't find it sooner!

Buy this film, you seriouly will not regret it! Come on, it's not a bad price either!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Teeny Chick Flick, 10 Oct 2007
This review is from: 10 Things I Hate About You [DVD] [1999] (DVD)

However, it is Ledger and Stiles' performances which have made this a successful movie of it's genre. They are not stupid-teenager/slut figures - but good real people.

No Lazy Lohans here. Good acting, good actors. Great film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and effective teen comedy that looks at the complexions of rivalry, 30 July 2009
This review is from: 10 Things I Hate About You [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
Cameron (Gordon-Levitt) desperately wants to ask out Bianca (Oleynik) but she can only date when her moody and opinionated sister Kat (Stiles) is dating.

In this modern adaptation of William Shakespeare's Taming of the shrew, Gil Junger brings a subtle charm and sly comic romantic edge to the students' lives that should enable viewers of any age to sit back, chill and watch the comedy unwind.

This film is one of the few early films that would set the benchmark for future Hollywood stars Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles. Both deliver the necessary components of teenage morale fibre to give the film a feisty chemistry without diving too much into the conventional side of the romance genre. Inevitably there is a formula that follows the usual guidelines but above all other modern day romantic comedies this is a high contender as it is dark and significantly likeable.

The beginning shows us Cameron, the new student who gets shown the ropes by the humorous David Krumholtz and when we look at today's modern stereotypes, its quite interesting to see the way they were ten years ago. David's Michael shows us the list of the groups the teenagers form, from the geeks to the models and so forth. It's no Mean Girls as the stereotyping is settled relatively quickly as the plot moves up a gear.

The film really gets going when we see Cameron's lust towards Bianca and therein lays the complications. The bizarre implication of the sisters' dad deciding the rule if one dates then the other can date is initially strange but this opens up a can of rivalry with a thirst for emotional battles that are spicy with a strong dexterity of drama and equal comic value that says a lot for the plot's themes.

This is a film very much about rivalry and bitterness between people. From Patrick's (Ledger) feud with Joey (Andrew Keegan) and the sister's constant war of words this film justifies the genre and is plentiful to deal the drama when necessary.

There are obviously numerous teenage romantic comedies out there so you may wonder what this one has to offer say over American Pie or Cruel Intentions?

Well unlike American Pie this has humour in the normal sense, one liners and funny spurts of craziness, from the motorbike on the hill to the drawing on the face. There is no crude violation of human nature here it is all down to earth. Like cruel intentions, this has a cool soundtrack with modern collection of pop songs adding spice with a more electric and vibrant motive. Not to mention Heath Ledger's "I love you baby" singing scene is one of the coolest romantic sequences to grace the screens for teens.

This film is also very well equipped with character establishment. Ledger's mysterious presence in the early stages is well equipped with bizarre rumours but he learns the value of honesty as he goes on whilst Kat learns that everyone isn't fighting against her. Stiles is well controlled to portray the intelligent opinionated mind of her protagonist.

9/10

10 Things I Hate About You [DVD] [1999]
10 Things I Hate About You [DVD] [1999] by Gil Junger (DVD - 2001)
5.69