5.0 out of 5 stars A really great film for children and adults alike.
Published on 26 Feb 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars grt movies
came slightly scratched and it worried me. however for that price it was expected. however it did work well and served its purpose. happy with purchase.
Published 8 months ago by Rebbeca

5.0 out of 5 stars A really great film for children and adults alike., 26 Feb 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) [DVD] (DVD)
This was one of my favourite films as a child and now, many years later, is a favourite of my own small children. The colour, imagery, songs and wicked humour stay in the mind long after watching. The moral content (if you are very rude/greedy/selfish etc.., you get your comeuppence in the end) is as relevant today as it's ever been. Even though the ending differs slightly from Roald Dahl's book - Charlie is not as faultless in the film, but redeems himself with his honesty - the story is as enjoyable and heartwarming as they get.

4.0 out of 5 stars Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory, 9 Aug 2005
Rich Milligan (Thatcham, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) [DVD] (DVD)
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is one of the all time classic children's' films ever made and even after some 30 years since its original release, this version remains as fresh, as bright, as delightful and as exciting as ever.
It's the classic tale of the poor little boy who makes good when deprived Charlie Bucket finds one of only 5 golden tickets hidden inside bars of famous Wonka chocolate. The tickets give the winner entry for the day into the fabulous and top secret Wonka chocolate factory and to meet the even more famous inventor Willy Wonka. Charlie joins the other 4 finders of the golden tickets, a motley crew of horrible children of varying bad habits, for his wonderful day out in WonkaLand.
What I really like about the film is the trip around the factory is just a real visual delight around every corner with its madcap inventions, chocolate river, crazy machinery and absurd take on everyday life.
The other thing I really think the film does well is that it has an almost sinister side to it. Willy Wonka himself is not the friendly old uncle he seems at times, at moments he turns on the children and positively scares them to death. The Oompa Lumpas are also not the cuddly cute little men they first seem and I'm sure they have induced many a childhood nightmare. I think this element is good as it stops the film becomes to sickly sweet and keeps the action on edge.
I think the final word can be that I remember this film delighting me as a child and when my own children watched it recently they too were totally taken into the story and watched entraced for the duration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gene Wilder Rocks, 13 Mar 2010
D. Kelly (Gloucester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) [DVD] (DVD)
Ever since seeing the remake of this Roald Dahl Classic, I have been having flashbacks to the original classic and finally gave in and bought it. I was not sorry - it is every bit as good as I remember. The songs are classics in their own right, and Roald Dahl's quirky sense of humour (sometimes verging on the bizarre), astonishing story telling ability and ability to see the world through childs eyes are all in abundance here. Gene Wilder's performance as Willy Wonka is a masterpiece. If you have seen the recent Johnny Depp farce and were as dissapointed as I was, buy this. You will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars i've got a golden ticket!, 28 Dec 2003
This review is from: Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) [DVD] (DVD)
Both the book and the movie are fantastic but there are differences naturally, even so, i think that the film stays close to the book fairly well making this movie simply fantastic.
No matter how many times it appears on T.V i'll always watch it. The songs are great (both from normal people and ompalumpas!), the scenery from Munich is beautiful and the actual chocolate factory brings to life the fantastic places and adventures that the book contains.
The actual character of Willie Wonka, is a great one anyway but to get Gene Wilder to play the part was a stroke of genius. Some argue that Wilder overdoes it and is a bit too crazy but Wilder has simply brought his own personal style to the role.
The children are as horrible as Dahl intended, ranging from Mike Teevee, the tele addict to spoilt brat Veruka Salt. To balance this we have the great Charlie who is still wholesome even in the face of extreme poverty.
All the family will love this DVD, the very fact that it is still a hit today, shows that it is a true classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Willy Wonka, 8 Nov 2011
This review is from: Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this for my six years old granddaughter as they had been to a local chocolate factory on a school project, it delighted her as much as it did her mum 30 years ago. This is a film that will never grow old.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've got a golden ticket, 6 Nov 2011
This review is from: Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent value and a true classic movie that you can watch again and again! Uplifting and fun. Much cheaper than my search on ebay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff., 30 July 2011
Already have this on dvd but bought it on bluray solely for the commentary that was missing on my dvd. Picture Quality is a real bonus given the age of the film. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest kids film ever made, 29 April 2011
C. Davies "Wordrabbit" (Blackpool UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this for my girl friends birthday. What can I say? Ever since I was a child I've loved this movie, everything about it. It was a dream like quality that make's it warm and utterly watchable. Gene Wilder is Willy Wonka as far as I'm concerned. It touches the heart and soul of the book, changing it enough for filming purposes while holding onto the credible imagination of Mr Dahl.

This blue ray edition is perfect. The picture quality is very good and the colours are strong and bold. Blue Ray is effortless to watch. I know that may sound odd but, I have found every Blue Ray replacement for my previous DVD versions to just be better to watch. Even when the picture hasn't blown me away, by the end of the film I feel I have enjoyed the film more.

This is a must have addition to anybody who claims to be a fan of classic films. This typifies what makes a classic. Watch it over and over again and remember what it was like to be child.

5.0 out of 5 stars So shines a good deed in a weary world., 23 Jan 2011
Spike Owen "John Rouse Merriott Chard" (Birmingham, England.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) [DVD] (DVD)
So shines a good deed in a weary world.

The world goes on chocolate overdrive when it's announced that famed candy maker, Willy Wonka, has put five golden tickets in his Wonka Bars. The lucky recipients of these tickets will be treated to a day out in the top secret Wonka factory, where they can see how the sweets are made, and if they are even luckier, they will get a lifetimes supply of free chocolate. Nobody wants a golden ticket more than Charlie Bucket, from a desperately poor family, Charlie has learned to accept his heritage with a grace and credibility not befitting most other children. So when a miracle upon miracles happens, and Charlie finds a golden ticket, it just may prove to be a turning point far beyond his wildest dreams.

They say that true love lasts a lifetime, so shall it be the case with Willy Wonka and myself. As a child I was captivated by the colours, the dream of myself being able to visit a magical place where sweets and chocolate roll off the production line purely for my ingestion. Songs that I memorised back in my youth have never left me, and now as a considerably middle aged adult male, I can still embrace, and feel the magic, whilst enjoying the darkly knowing aspects of this fabulous and wondrous black comedy.

Roald Dahl was quite a writer of note, and thankfully the makers here have brought his astute morality tale to vivid cinematic life. Director Mel Stuart, aided by his screenwriter David Seltzer, even manage to add to Dahl's wonderful story courtesy of a sinister outsider, who apparently in the guise of a rival corporation, will pay handsomely for a Wonka top secret, morality, greed and power all coming together in one big chocolate explosion. The greatest gift that Willy Wonka gives, tho, is that of the set designs and art direction, where in an almost hypnotically drug induced colourful world, Wonka's factory is a child's dream come true, however, peril is at every turn as life's lessons dolled out courtesy of the scarily cute Oompa Loompas.

Songs are provided by Anthony Newley and Leslie Bricuse, with the sumptuous art coming from Harper Goff. Gene Wilder takes the lead role of Willy Wonka, magnetic and bordering on clued in madness, Wilder takes his rightful place in the pantheon of memorable performances performed in fantasy pictures. But ultimately it's the story and the way it appeals to every age group that makes Willy Wonka a prized treasure, the kids love it, while the adults watching with them will be wryly nodding and trying to suppress the onset of a devilish grin.

Pure magic is Willy Wonka, see it now in High Definition TV to fully realise the dream/nightmare on offer, oh oh I love it so. 10/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Its like having a part of Christmas all year round!, 17 Jan 2003
This review is from: Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) [DVD] (DVD)
I remember this film being on tele in the UK every Christmas until I got older and realised that actually what we get is extra long Soap Specials and the News! But I missed it and so am relieved to be able to relive it on DVD anytime I need.
This is a true romantic on a par with Mary Poppins but a lot more yummy. Its a dream come true story of a little poor boy and rather bizarre grey mother and Grandparents - there's a few songs which could be considered sickly but the umpa lumpa bits make up for it big time - and yes you can learn the words as they fly around the screen.
I believe we should all paint our faces orange, colour our hair green and quiffy and live in happiness too!
Shame about the lack of special features on DVD though but then can't be too greedy can we boys and girls?

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) [DVD]