5.0 out of 5 stars Jim Carrey is again doing the best if you can follow him.
I think Jim Carrey is one of the most interesting guys out there. I think he did not play the role of Andy Kauffman for nothing in the "Man on the Moon", he is truly a talent not accounted for as much as he deserves in life. The movie seems off this world if you cant follow, but once you are ready to take it as it comes, it is a wonderul comedy and clearly a...
Published on 1 Nov. 2000 by korayberk@superonline.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Funny but Bordering on Annoying
I personally love The Mask, we all do.
My daughter loves Carey in The Mask so I got this for her.
Carey is too silly for words in Pet Detective for me but my 10 year old daughter really enjoyed it. I found him bordering on annoying in this, but my daughter really chuckled at it.
There is a scene that simulates sex, comedy sex, which thankfully my daughter...
Published 9 months ago by Jo

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Ace!, 25 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Ace Ventura - Pet Detective (1994) [DVD] (DVD)
If you love Jim Carrey then you'll love this. Only he can pull off acting so silly and in this film he certainly doesnt disappoint. Definately a must see for all Jim Carrey's fans.

When Snowflake the Dolphin, mascots of Miami Dolphins football team, is stolen just days before Superbowl there is only one man for the job. With murder, sharks, a mental hospital and a dinner party it seems that Ace has got his plate full. But can he find Snowflake and the teams leading man, Marino, AND get the girl before the Superbowl?

Well I'm not going to tell you, you shall have to watch the film.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hasn't stood the test of time... and me becoming an adult, 18 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Ace Ventura - Pet Detective (1994) [DVD] (DVD)
Ace Ventura is one of Jim Carrey's early films that chucked him up into the limelight as an 'A' list comedy actor, but unfortunately, whilst this was hilarious when I was in my early teens, it just hasn't stood the test of time. There are still some extremely childish moments that make me chuckle, and Courtney Cox and Sean Young are both very welcome members of the cast, but overall, this has decided to sit in the sea of mediocrity for me. A million times better than the crappy Dumb and Dumber, but not as good as The Mask. Rent it. 3/5

5.0 out of 5 stars A Comedy Classic!!!, 29 April 2011
This review is from: Ace Ventura - Pet Detective (1994) [DVD] (DVD)
Jim Carrey in my mind is the funniest actor on the planet - and shows his comic acting superbly in this film. I think it is his best film to date. Since buying a copy a few years back - i have watched over 10 times. The story is about pet detective ACE VENTURA who is on a quest to find the Miami Dolphin's mascot (A DOLPHIN) after being kidnapped in the middle of the night, two weeks before the team is due to play in the Super Bowl. The rest is a laugh a minute film with off-color humor at its best. Aaaaaaaaaaalriiiiiiiighty Then!!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Jim Carrey,s breakout hit, 30 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Ace Ventura - Pet Detective (1994) [DVD] (DVD)
Your enjoyment of Ace Ventura will depend on your feelings of the overtop gurning of it's lead Jim Carrey. The film is based entirely around his madcap antics the paperthin plot just an excuse for Carrey to give his all in attempt to get laughs and for the most part he succeeds, so many jokes are thrown out the few misses are soon covered by the hits.

Although it can be crude and immature the film moves along at a lightning pace and entertains throughout providing plenty of laughs and memorable dialogue. Well worth a watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pet Dick, 23 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Ace Ventura - Pet Detective (1994) [DVD] (DVD)
Director Tom Shadyac went on to work with Jim Carrey on two more films, but this puerile comedy is the best. Essentially it's a vehicle for Jim Carrey's energetic, gurning brand of childish slapstick - Courtney Cox, Udo Kier et al wisely play it dead straight and allow the obnoxious pet detective to poke fun at them. It makes for often hilarious viewing: the vigour with which Carrey throws himself into his endless caricatures is freakishly fascinating to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars By far the funniest film you will ever see..., 4 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Ace Ventura - Pet Detective (1994) [DVD] (DVD)
Where do I begin? Ace is just so hilarious, every second that he appears on the screen should have you laughing out loud. The storyline is full of brilliant twists, the jokes are stupid enough to be satisfying to nearly anyone with a decent sense of humour, and Jim Carrey provides his usual mad antics and stupidity that really make this film such a great laugh.

What more could you really want?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Carrey caper, 22 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Ace Ventura - Pet Detective (1994) [DVD] (DVD)
My kids aged 14 and 15 first saw this years ago and really loved it, so I've got us a copy to watch together. As they get older there are fewer and fewer films they will willingly watch with us old parents so I'm delighted to be looking forward to it. Having just seen Carrey unrecognisable as 'Stars & Stripes' in Kick Ass 2, I am in awe of his unique talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lahoo,hoo,sa,her !!. Bluray review., 19 Sept. 2013
We all know how funny this film is, this review is for the quality of the disc. I ordered this disc from Amazon.com months ago not knowing it would be available on Amazon.co.uk. After owning several copies of this movie over the years this has to be as good as it's going to get picture wise. We know the picture quality was DIRE on the original DVD release. The picture was better on the Region one DVD release a few years later but still showing a few black scratches on the brighter parts of the picture, however!!!!!!, the bluray disc is a massive improvement. The picture is much more steady and clearer. 99 percent of the scratches have been removed, leaving nice bright colours with barely a mark in sight. There still remains some grain in one or two dark scenes but this has to be expected with a film of this age. It appears they have used a decent stock print to transfer to this disc. You wont be disappointed with the clarity, quality and sound. Overall, I really think you have to be a massive Jim Carrey fan and..... a person who really appreciates a good home cinema experience to purchase this yet again. I am and I did..........AAAAAAAAAAAlrightythen!!!!. ENJOY.

5.0 out of 5 stars a laugh from start to finish, 14 Oct. 2009
diamondgeezer1 (Northamptonshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ace Ventura - Pet Detective (1994) [DVD] (DVD)
I've always been a big fan of Jim Carreys movies, I've lost count how many times I have watched this, each time I laugh as much as I did the first time.
Courtney Cox is the perfect choice for Ace's would be girlfriend.

A definate must see for any Jim Carrey fans.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tries too hard, 26 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Ace Ventura - Pet Detective (1994) [DVD] (DVD)
I guess this film Depends on your point of view, but to me I never really liked Jim Carrey in this kind of role... so if you're looking for Carrey in the form of Liar Liar or the Trumann Show, this is not for you

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

Ace Ventura - Pet Detective (1994) [DVD]
Ace Ventura - Pet Detective (1994) [DVD] by Tom Shadyac (DVD - 2000)