5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect in every way
This is a classic, a captivating and charming movie that remains in a class of its own. There's a spectacular array of creatures and a memorable plot with marvellous twists.
Published on 10 July 2004 by Pieter Uys

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost some of its charm but still strange and wonderful.
I saw this at the cinema when I was a kid and still have a soft spot for it as a result. Some aspects are less than perfect when I watch it now but it is still one of the best imagined worlds, enriched by a variety of strange creatures, that I've come across. The plot is original and it is a film that Henson would still feel proud of today if he were with us still. If you...
Published on 10 Aug 2012 by Mike

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect in every way, 10 July 2004
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
The fact is that all the species and characters come across as very real and believable - from the kindly and wise Mystics to the human Podlings to the awful and hideous Skeksis. The meal scene in the Skeksis castle is particularly vivid and memorable, although it's not for the squeamish! The visit to the lair of the witch Ogra is also quite humorous and spectacular, and I loved the little doggie, if it is a dog.
One of my favourite scenes is where the two Gelflings fall over a cliff and the girl spreads her wings, upon which the relieved boy exclaims: "But I don't have wings" to which the girl replies: "Of course not - you're a boy.". This is in the class of Lord of the Rings about 20 years before the latter was made, although it's probably not fair to compare the two.
Dark Crystal convinces with its world of believable puppets and impressive scenery, which adds a unique flavour to the film. I cannot fault this little gem on any aspect: the old myth is infused by new life here because of the amazing turns in the plot. The scenes are so colourful you cannot forget them, the characterization is of the highest calibre, and the cinematography is breathtaking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ground Breaker, 18 Nov 2009
Anne (Paisley, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This was a highly original concept from the team behind the Muppets. I first saw it with my young sons back in 1982 and 27 years on it still possesses that magical quality to entertain people of all ages. Blu-ray certainly has enhanced the picture quality as opposed to the previous DVD version though I could not detect any difference in the sound. A treat for all to enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer brilliance!!, 16 Mar 2001
M. S Worthington (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dark Crystal [DVD] [1982] (DVD)
This is a film I have owned for many years on VHS and I have always been captivated by it. So, when I saw it was available on DVD I HAD to buy it and I have not been dissapointed. The sheer brilliance of what Jim Henson and his team created considering it was made almost 20 years ago is amazing!! What is also wonderful about this DVD is that the original colours have been wonderfully restored and I now notice things in the film that I never noticed on my VHS edition because they are so much easier to see. Some of the extras are brilliant as well, especially the documentary which is a fascinating insight into the making of this classic film! I have to say, I was a little dissapointed with the deleted scenes feature as I expected to have more commentary about why the scenes were deleted and also many of the scenes are just original takes on scenes that did make it into the film and were just altered slightly (sometimes u can't notice the difference other than the film quality).
However, if you have never seen this film, or if you are already a passionate Dark Crystal fan, I urge you to buy this DVD, it really is money well spent!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure magic!, 8 Sep 2002
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
True, the quest story is as old as mankind, but here it is told in such a cinematically captivating and charming manner that this movie remains in a class of its own. You’ll find a spectacular array of creatures and marvelous twists in the plot. One of my favorite scenes is where the two Gelflings fall over a cliff, the girl spreads her wings, the boy says: “But I don’t have wings” to which the girl replies: “Of course not – you’re a boy.” The fact is that all the species come across as very real and believable – from the kindly and wise Mystics to the human Podlings to the awful and hideous Skeksis. The meal scene in the Skeksis castle is particularly vivid and memorable, although it’s not for the squeamish! The visit to the lair of the witch Ogra is also quite humorous and spectacular, and I loved the little doggie, if it is a dog. This is in the class of Lord of the Rings exactly 20 years before the latter was made, although it’s probably not fair to compare the two. For one thing, Dark Crystal convinces with its world of believable puppets, which adds a unique flavor to the film. I cannot fault this little gem on any aspect: the old myth is infused by new life here because of the marvelous turns in the plot, the scenes are so colorful you cannot forget them, the characterization is of the highest caliber, and the cinematography is breathtaking.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare fantasy adventure, 11 Jan 2002
This review is from: The Dark Crystal [DVD] [1982] (DVD)
Those of us out there who are familiar with the work of Jim Henson and his team (Fraggle Rock, anyone?) should be more than a little surprised by this gothic fantasy adventure. The shadowy lighting effects and the cold image of evil resemble the work of director Tim Burton, and could be disturbing for young children. However, in true Henson style, the muppets do not let us down. We are treated to a dazzling array of master puppetry and the willowy world of the mystics and the skeksis is wonderfully portrayed through the eyes of naive Jen. The lack of human thespians only serves to make the fantasy more believable.
This a perfect example of what a child's movie should be-sweet, intelligent, and almost innocent.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute Classic!, 4 Feb 2002
This review is from: The Dark Crystal [DVD] [1982] (DVD)
I've been watching this film for as long as I can remember, and it's always had me hiding behind the couch! ... I fell in love with science fiction after watching this film, and I still have'nt got bored of it! This film combines everything you could wish for. There is the romance between Jen and Kira, the comical Fizzgig, the scary Ogra, there are action scenes, quiet scenses and joyous scenes with the Podlings. All this matched with the outstanding puppetry of Jim Henson and his crew. I'd recommend this movie to anyone who likes the wierd and wonderful, or just to anyone who appreciates a good movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Film, 21 Nov 2003
This review is from: The Dark Crystal [DVD] [1982] (DVD)
Absolutley a must see film, one of the best films of its time, effects and graphics are so much better on dvd quality. Have it on vhs and dvd the difference is noticeable. Love it, it is enjoyable for both adults and older children definitively a family film. Young children may find it slighly scary at times.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure Magic, 31 Jan 2007
K. C. Simm "kenart" (Lancashire UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is most definately a movie of a much more innocent, and arguemently more sensitve age. I was still into Prog rock when I first bought the video for my old top loading vhs machine. I wonder whatever happened to that. However, the film, I was so impressed I bought the lavishly illustrated book by Brian Froud. The story is a simple one that has lost none of its appeal over the age since it came out. The effects can be seen in these days of CG to be rather quaint but that again also adds to the simple appeal. The acting, (of the puppets) is not important. There is an element of the Muppet nod and it easy to see how each was done but you still care what happens and the whole film does exude as much magic as it did then.

5.0 out of 5 stars All hail Brian Froud!, 4 Mar 2005
This is an fantastic film as the other reviews say, and Jim Henson's creature shop has done an amazing job with the puppets but all credit should go to Brian Froud for designing these characters and making them alive while they were still drawings on a page. I dont think enough people know about his genius being the starting point for this film!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're sceptical see it and be surprised, 26 Oct 2004
By A Customer
My earliest memory of this film is of being very young and watching it at Christmas time with my family. Never mind the gross-out skeksi feast scene it scared the living daylights out of us when Kira's little dog thing first makes an appearance!
A very good film, of the sort that's not made these days. Puppets beat CG hands down- especially when they are of the quality displayed in this great film. If you don't believe me see it anyway and judge for yourself. wierd, but none the less excellent.

The Dark Crystal [DVD] [1982]
The Dark Crystal [DVD] [1982] by Frank Oz (DVD - 1999)
5.71