5.0 out of 5 stars I was there, it was like that
Published on 25 July 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Too hard to understand without CC
Despite great actors at the start of their careers (Damien Lewis, Ioan Gruffudd), this show is difficult to enjoy/understand because it has no subtitles.
Published 1 month ago by Kanenberg

5.0 out of 5 stars I was there, it was like that, 25 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Warriors [VHS] [1999] (VHS Tape)
Serving 12 mnths in Bosnia myself with the UN as a soldier, I must truly say that watching this film brought me back. I watched in awe and it brought tears to my eyes to once again relive the months we spent there. The director manages to create the moods and feelings and frustrations that were so common for all of the soldiers serving with the UN. It also portrais the restlessness and feeling of unfinished buisiness that so many felt after returning home. This movie is truly one that most people who have former UN personell in their family or among friends should see. Maybe then they`ll understand. To the makers of this film: You have earned a soldiers respect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, Moving, Upsetting, 30 April 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Warriors [VHS] [1999] (VHS Tape)
Warriors is a hard hitting drama from the BBC. I first watched it 4 years ago, and watching again recently still left me in awe. The soldiers are human and humane, but hamstrung by the UN regulations.
Unable to help people directly due to fears of 'ethnic cleansing' they leave people to die at the hands of monsters who used to be their neighbours.
The drama also shows the effects of the conflict on their lives when they return to Britain.
A number of outstanding performances lend realism to the production. None more so than Matthew MacFadyen, who plays the scouser Pvt James, who deals with what he experiences in a simple, humane way. He is left baffled by the authorities unwillingness or inability to do the right thing. His passage from a joker to a hurt human being is the pivot of the drama; he experiences the very worst of all the shocking (and graphic) misfortunes that befall the crew. The things that they see and cannot affect cause anguish to those at ground level.

You must watch this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must see!!, 28 Nov 2003
Ollie Pullen (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Warriors [VHS] [1999] (VHS Tape)
WOW!!! What an amazing film. I first watched this when it was aired on the BBC a few years ago and I have been meaning to buy it for a long time.
I have not for many years seen a film that evokes such an emotive reaction, you will experience grief, anger, sympathy & guilt watching this highly emotive and accurate portrayal of our British troops as UN peace keepers in Bosnia.
Lets hope this film will remain a stark reminder of the horrific war crimes and ethnic cleansing that happened during that time and no doubt similar atrocities which still happen all over the world to this day. How easy it is to forget.
Congratulations to the beeb for portraying this difficult story with such humility as it deserves. A must, must, must buy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense and moving drama about the war in Bosnia, 23 Sep 2007
Why this has not been released in the UK yet on DVD is a mystery to me. I have just a recording and this review is about the drama not the Dutch DVD. It is about one regiment (?) of British soldiers and their tour of duty in Bosnia as peacekeepers from beginning to end. There are three main characters whose lives back home we are shown before they leave and then return, affected by their experiences. Ioan Gruffydd (Hornblower) and Damien Lewis (Band of Brothers) are cast as two officers and Matthew Macfadyen (Spooks) as either a private or N.C.O. They witness a number of the most notorious incidents that occured. We see their frustration as they are not even allowed to move some civilians to safety as it would seem they are contributing to ethnic cleansing. I believe this was shown on BBC. It is a well acted, authentic looking drama. I hope it gets released over here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harrowing, heartbreaking and very human, 26 Aug 2009
A. Johnston (London, UK) - See all my reviews
A phemononal story that had to be told. A drama about soldiers but not about them fighting, but being forced not to fight and sitting on the sidelines of a war they don't understand and cannot do anything about.

The reactions of the soldiers as they gradually slip into melancholy and depression shows the futility of "peacekeeping" when there is no peace to keep, and the limitations of the international community to influence complex local conflicts. There is no sense of black and white, just shades of grey.

Bizarre that this has never come out in the UK, but don't worry, the Dutch version is fine to watch.

A must see.

4.0 out of 5 stars Warriors [1999] [Dutch Import], 15 Feb 2008
MRGRAHAM M. COLLINS (Dorset UK) - See all my reviews
Having watched this drama on BBC when it was first broadcast so I was more than pleased when I found it on DVD. The big downside is that it is void of at least two scenes right in the middle which as a result can make it look a little disjointed, especially if you have never seen it before. Had this not been the case then I would have awarded it the full five stars. I hope that the full version is released in due course as it is an excellent well acted realistic drama, based on real life events.

5.0 out of 5 stars BBC please listen!, 31 Mar 2011
Steve (Pardubice, Czech Republic) - See all my reviews
This is a drama that hits the spot every time. Largely filmed in the Czech Republic, i was there during filming and the locals still talk about it now. The plight of the victims is painfully illustrated here, not to mention the frustration and helplessness of the UN peacekeepers. It speaks volumes that many servicemen who witnessed it all in Bosnia write with such high regard of this faultless, painful drama.
Why does the BBC not re-release it on DVD?

5.0 out of 5 stars Come on BBC a UK release please!, 18 Mar 2008
I. Price (East Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
It seems that the BBC are not going to release this as a UK version on DVD. That is a shame as it is one of the best TV dramas of the last few years, equally as good Kosminsky's other works (Goverment Inspector etc.). Come on the Beeb sort it out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Flashback time!, 18 Mar 2007
This review is from: Warriors [VHS] [1999] (VHS Tape)
I was "lucky enough" to serve as a volunteer in Bosnia during and after the war,from april 1995 till june 1996 as a UN/ NATO peacekeeper.(All Norwegians and Swedes were volunteers). The story being told in the film was so real to me, that when I saw it in 2003 I had flashbacks for the first, and hopefully last, time since my time in Bosnia. I could feel the humidity and feel the taste of the air in central Bosnia. To me this film shows a realistic image of what happened in Bosnia. Just don't forget that there were saints and sinners on all sides in the conflict!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gone but not forgotten, 7 Jan 2007
This review is from: Warriors [VHS] [1999] (VHS Tape)
I was one of the soldiers interviewed for my accounts of the conflict and even 15 years later i still suffer from the reminder of this un peace keeping force, top marks to the film crew and the director for making an honest drama for the world to see, what the troops had to endure during their tour of duty and remain unaffected is beyond belive i hope we never have another conflict like this again. to my comrades that we lost on our tour your gone but never forgotten

Warriors [VHS] [1999]
Warriors [VHS] [1999] by Peter Kosminsky (VHS Tape - 1999)