5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to see a great film.
I have been a huge fan of this film since I first saw it in the eighties.
And as much as I enjoyed the VHS I used to own with all its imperfections, scratches and grain this is the way to see the film.

Published on 16 Jan 2009 by A. Davis

2.0 out of 5 stars Small sync problems
A classic movie from John Carpenter. The transfer looks stunning, and the movie still holds up well 28 years later. Unfortunately I fell fowl to an audio syncing problem from chapter 18 till about chapter 21. I've since found out a few other people have had this problem in exactly the same scenes. Such a shame, as it ruined what would have been at least a 4 star...
Published on 23 April 2010 by Nathan Grafton

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to see a great film., 16 Jan 2009
A. Davis (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I have been a huge fan of this film since I first saw it in the eighties.

I have been a fan on most of John Carpenters films, and throw in Kurt Russell and I reckon I'm in for a good film. This film delivers by the bucket load, the effects still stand up pretty well and the excellent cast deliver some equally excelent performances.

As mentioned above I enjoyed the film when I saw it on a well worn rented VHS, I then enjoyed it more on the new VHS I later bought and then loved it on DVD. And to be honest I thought that was as good as it gets, how wrong was I!
The Blu-ray disc delivers unsurpassed quality with detail showing up that was just not visible on DVD, ok I'll admit that in a few of the helicopter shots you can see a bit of grain/imperfection but those times are minimal.
The detail seen in shots such as when MacCready is in the dark holding a flare is superb.
I would even go as far as to say that this copy makes the film look bang up to date and its hard to believe its been around so long.

I would recommend that any fan of this film rush out to buy a Blu-ray player so they can eperience the best ever version!
And any sci-fi fans or even horror fans who have never seen this film then give it a go, I think you'll like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Thing In High-Def!!!, 22 Nov 2011
Im fairly new to blu ray, but the thing being one of my favourite horror movies i just had to get it.
Seen it countless times on tv, vhs, and dvd, but nothing could have prepared me for this. The quality of the transfer has to be the best i have seen in blu ray so far. both sound and visual get top marks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Born to make you boggle, 1 Oct 2009
This review is from: John Carpenter's The Thing [DVD] [1982] (DVD)
Oh but I do love John Carpenter's `The Thing', (an awful lot more than Howard Hawks' original from the Fifties with its `intellectual carrot' monster), and I've probably seen it six or seven times by now. We all know the story: Antarctic survey-team are cut off by storms and find not just their base but themselves infiltrated by something not from round these parts. It's a great idea embedded in a good story and the gradually-building tension gets me every single time I watch. I'm glad the technology finally caught up with the original idea (from John W. Campbell's excellent source story `Who Goes There?') of an alien that spreads by infecting and co-opting any other bodies it encounters. Even after 27-odd years, the Thing and its various transformations still look mind-boggling and I salute the rubber-flinging genius of effects-maestro Rob Bottin. (Check out the `Terror Takes Shape' extra on the DVD for the man Bottin himself, and marvel thereat.) Much as I like a good dollop of CGI, I'm actually glad CGI wasn't around in 1982, since if CGI had been used for `The Thing', the monster-effects wouldn't have that dreadful tangible feel that Bottin and his team achieved. (If the currently-rumoured remake / reboot gets going, I hope the new team stick to the template of Carpenter's version.) All the various `Things' are amazingly well-realised, to the point where you sit at home watching the DVD half-expecting the screen's contents to drip into your living-room and infect your pets with What Hails From Beyond. Apart from praising the effects and the direction, shouldn't forget the people either - lots of really good, under-stated but convincing performances. Not too much wise-cracking and grandstanding glibness on display - just solid depictions of fear, unease and `What the hell's THAT?' Only downside is that I'm not totally at my ease around huskies - especially ones that look at you too long ...

5.0 out of 5 stars A very intense scary movie, 15 Feb 2007
Mr. P. J. R. LEWIS (Llandudno N Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: John Carpenter's The Thing [DVD] [1982] (DVD)
If you can remember Alistair McLeans "Ice Station Zebra" then "The Thing" will really grip you with some stunning special effects and a superb atmosphere throughout the entire movie.

A group of scientists who have travelled to this remote ice station to carry out research discover a massive Flying Saucer imbedded in the ice but unknowing to them its occupant is hiding in a dark corner waiting to inhabit a human body and digest it from the inside out.

It is the suspense of not knowing what will happen next that makes this a trully great film.Possibly due to its slow pace it may not appeal to everyones taste but when the alien form makes its appearence you soon realise this is a superb film with some simply stunning special effects.

Each member of the team soon realise that THE THING may be lurking in any one of their team and the not knowing who gives it a 5 star rating.

The scene that really steals the show has a canine flavor and to tell you what happens will spoil the entire film.

If you enjoyed Alien then this film will certainly make the grade,but if a slow paced gripping drama is not for you then look elsewhere but for gripping drama with incredible special effects this film is amongst the best out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Classic!, 23 Nov 2002
Adam (DERBY, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: John Carpenter's The Thing [DVD] [1982] (DVD)
Based on the 1930's short story "Who Goes There" by John W Campbell Jr (as was the 1950's film The Thing From Outer Space), "The Thing" is a masterpiece of horror movie-making.
The film has it all - action, suspense, paranoia and a great story-line. Carpenter's direction has never been better before or since and I think that is because the materials he had to work with were so inspired to start with.
Kurt Russell is comfortabe with his role as McCready and Wilford Brimley is excellent as Blair. In fact, the entire cast give strong performances as the men of the arctic base suddenly don't know who to trust. And that is what the story is essentially about - trust and not being able to rely upon appearances.
The film's sense of claustrophobic paranoia is excellent, and the story will keep you guessing right up to the end (and beyond).
If youhaven't seen "The Thing", I highly recommend you buy this DVD version of a classic horror tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carpenter's finest hour, 21 Nov 2008
M. Taylor (Bradford, England) - See all my reviews
I agree with C.A.Wyatt in that you should ignore the Amazon review here.
That review seems to paint a picture of it being bloody and also gory for gore's sake which would be misleading.

What's true to say about the film is that it's easily one of the best horror films you're ever likely to see. I think the synopsis describes it well.

As for the Blu-Ray transfer, it's a good 1080p transfer with DTS-HD audio, exactly the way it should be seen and heard.

A film worth seeing if you haven't and a great edition of the film for those who have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 7 Feb 2007
This review is from: John Carpenter's The Thing [DVD] [1982] (DVD)
Released in 1982, The Thing was John Carpenter's 18-rated remake of the classic 1951 sci-fi horror The Thing From Another World. While both were based on John W Campbell's short novel Who Goes There?, Carpenter's version depicts the effects of the alien invader by using cutting-edge special effects, allowing the audience to more properly understand the fear and mistrust felt by the twelve men who are stranded with it in the middle of nowhere. The film is similar in some aspects to Ridley Scott's Alien, with both films featuring a handful of stranded individuals trying to defeat a seemingly unstoppable monster, which picks off the crew one-by-one. The Thing combines Carpenter's knack for creating classic horror films, such as the Halloween series, with Kurt Russell's own brand of action as seen in Carpenter's Escape From New York.

Like the 1951 version, Carpenter's film played on the climate of the time, with the invisible, blood-borne infection seen in the film being admittedly reminiscent of AIDS and other diseases which were at that time just beginning to surface. Although it failed to compete with ET - The Extra-Terrestrial, which was also released in 1982, The Thing became more popular during the 1990s as critics began to give the film greater regard, recognising the psychological aspects of the film instead of providing a knee-jerk reaction to the film's gore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thing's that go bump in the dark!, 5 Sep 2007
I first saw Carpenter's version as a 13 year-old at secondary school
on a rained off playtime lunch break with about 30 other teenagers about
20 years ago,i crapped myself.I couldnt watch beyond the point where
Bennings is caught changing into the 'Thing'.
I made some excuse and left the hall. Over the years
(still mentally scarred) i managed to watch 10 minutes here and 10 minutes
there until i finally managed to sit through the whole film.I have since become
the 'Thing's' greatest fan (and Carpenter fan - Halloween,Prince of Darkness, the Fog and
the Mouth of Madness (my favs) and watch it about once a year around Halloween time.
It has a great ensemble cast with no hollywood big chinned stars apart from Kurt Russell,
whom Carpenter made several films with around this time.
The atmosphere in this film is what makes it superior to other horror/
gore films of the 80's. Its a study of mistrust and paranoia,
reflecting the then times (Russia,AIDS) with some great shock moments and
splendid SFX from make-up prodigy Rob Bottin. So impressive and thought provoking was
the story, that i decided to seek out the classic 1951 Howard Hawks B/W version.
I was suprised, although pleased, to see differences and similarities
between both versions. Both have a feeling of the 'End of the world is nigh'
(as in 'Night of the Living Dead'),both have the 'trapped in the
house with...' feeling of dread (as in 'Alien').
The B/W version does however slightly disapoint with its 'THING',a rather
Frankenstein's monster type of creation and not the shape changing alien
of the remake but still that's a very small gripe.
Both are rated 5 stars in my opinion, the 50's version for it's
influence on all other 50's paranoid, cold war horror flicks(i.e.Body snatchers,
The day the earth stood still)and Carpenter's 80's stomach churning cult classic.
I have since read the original source material, John W. Campbell's 'Who goes there?',
a short story that Carpenter followed more closely than Howard Hawks did.
So whether you believe 'Man is the warmest place to hide'
or we should 'Keep watching the skies',turn the lights down
and enjoy the 'Things'. eddy, london

5.0 out of 5 stars Mac wants the flamethrower!!!, 4 Dec 2013
An absolutley incredible film. One of my favourites.

I don't really need to review the film, i'm sure plenty of other people will tell you what its about...etc

The Blu-Ray is stunning, its suprisingly more detailed compared to the VHS (obviously) and the DVD copies I have owned.

I've seen this film ALOT of times. The Blu-Ray is really worth it for the enhanced picture and sound quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Like New, 15 Nov 2013
Djohnson - See all my reviews
Film looks fantastic on blue ray,having watched this film on most formats this looks by far the best.Sit back.lock the doors and enjoy.

John Carpenter's The Thing [DVD] [1982]
John Carpenter's The Thing [DVD] [1982] by John Carpenter (DVD - 2010)
4.04