5.0 out of 5 stars Visually stunning! Beautiful in every way!
I had never seen any versions of 'The Secret Garden,' nor had I read the original book by Frances H. Burnett, but it did appeal to me, that's why when I ran into it at my local video store, I couldn't help myself from buying it, I payed $4.99 for it and I quickly realized what a bargain that was. This movie was worth every penny, absolutely gorgeous.

This is...
Published on 3 Aug. 2007 by Taran Wanderer

3.0 out of 5 stars A good film adaption of the book
I read the book as an adult, because it is one of the classics I missed as a child. I fairly enjoyed the book, and took the risk and got the film. As an adult I moderately enjoyed it. It works on a number of levels, it might be a surprisingly philosophical work, because we all have our secret gardens. Young people should enjoy it. It's always tricky because you tend...
Published on 8 Mar. 2013 by coolsimon

5.0 out of 5 stars Visually stunning! Beautiful in every way!, 3 Aug. 2007
This review is from: The Secret Garden [DVD] [1993] (DVD)

This is one of those films, aimed mainly at children, that the whole family can enjoy, both the young and old. The story centers around Mary Lennox, recently orphaned, sent to live with her uncle at an old manor, surrounded by a gloomy and foggy moor. At first, Mary doesn't seem to enjoy it, not because she misses her neglectful parents, but because she is lonely and longs for someone to play with. At the manor, she must live with the mean Mrs. Medlock, whom she dislikes, however, Mary soon makes friends with Martha, her younger brother Dickon and a young ill boy named Colin, who is Mary's cousin. Mary discovers many secrets, as why Colin is always kept in a lonely bed and why her uncle is so down and depressed, but the biggest secret she finds is the entrance to an old garden, which she and her new friend Dickon help bring to life.

This movie, as I have already stated, is beautifully filmed, with lots of beautiful landscapes and settings and the most breathtaking melodies ever, many following the tone of the closing song "Winter Light." The actors portray their characters wonderfully. The film doesn't particularly have much humor, most of the comic relief here is given by Martha, in a way she is a funny character, this is a good thing for the film not to have much humor, it adds to it's 'gloomy' beauty.

This movie inspired me to read the book, at first I had a bit of trouble understanding what was going on, both in the book and in the film, I especially had a bit of trouble understanding the Yorkshire accents of some of the characters, but after repeated viewings, I began to understand better. I would recommend this film to anyone, if you get a chance, get the soundtrack as well, as the music is one of the stronger points of the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful adaptation..., 22 May 2001
By A Customer
I enjoyed this adaptation very much. The book has been a favourite of mine ever since discovering it quite by accident at the age of ten, and the thing I liked best about this adaptation is that it does not jar with my memories of the book at all. The feeling of enjoyment and pleasure was almost the same. Those changes which are made are minimal, and the casting excellent. I would recommend this film to anyone who has ever loved the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Kids - and I quite like it too, 26 Jun. 2002
This review is from: The Secret Garden [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
I bought this for the kids (6 and 3 years old). It's one of those well known stories which has been superbly brought to life on DVD. I bought this DVD(along with a few others), because these titles are such a refreshing change to the Disney Classics and modern animated (although superb) Shreks of this current era. Somehow there is still no substitute for real children actors in real life settings when the performances are directed and produced as well as this. The kids watch at least one of these productions every week (I bought The Little Princess and Black Beauty at the same time). I recomend that you purchase these type of DVD for what they are - Greatly acted childrens stories from a seemingly never to come back age of innocence - brilliance at an affordable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars The many version of the Secret Garden!!, 26 Dec. 2000
This review is from: The Secret Garden [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
Well I've seen most of them and I have to say that this is a wonderful remake of a simple but stunning story, I've owned this on video and now own it on DVD.
The film is set in the grounds of a beautiful and somewhat creepy large old house. When orphan Mary arrives at the house she discovers her cousin Colin through a secret passage in her room. And from there the adventure begins.
This is a must and a great family video...10 out of 10

4.0 out of 5 stars The Secret Garden, 29 Jun. 2005
Rich Milligan (Thatcham, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Garden [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
"The Secret Garden" is a well-known and well adapted children's story taken from the original novel by Frances Hodgson Burnett. In this version the well loved story gets the big screen treatment as it is splendidly tailored and produced into an excellent and very enjoyable film for the whole family.
There are two things that I think makes this film stand out. One is the wonderful performances of the child actors in it. None of them are the cute as button starlets we normally have presented to us, which normally sicken as much as entertain. But these are genuinely nice kids, which you can easily relate to, and therefore we're all the more hooked into their experiences and hang on their words and actions. The four young actors who stand out for special mention are Kate Maberly as Mary Lennox, the poor little rich orphan girl sent to live with her uncle, Heydon Prowse as the sickly Colin Craven, Mary's secret cousin, Laura Crossley as the kindly maid Martha who befriends Mary, and my personal favourite Andrew Knott as Dickon, Martha's brother and friend to all the animals.
The other reason is the simply superb performance by Maggie Smith. Always guaranteed to put in a good turn, she is simply miles above the other adult actors and really does give the film that extra little sparkle that really makes it stand out.
All in all, this is a fantastic piece of traditional children's storytelling, but what makes this really special, is the story for children will appeal to all ages, and in this time of crash, bang, wallop action, it's really great to get some decent "watch as a family" film treats.

4.0 out of 5 stars A sensitive and well developed family film., 15 Mar. 2000
By A Customer
In this adaptation of the classic children's book by Frances Hodgson Burnett, an orphan is sent to live with relatives on a large but dull and gloomy estate.
Left mostly to her own devises, she befriends the sickly son of the family and the rather wild brother of one of the servants and sets about restoring a neglected secret garden to its former beauty.
This uplifting story is well told and acted and will appeal to a broad family audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEAUTIFUL FILM FOR CHILDREN AND ADULTS ALIKE, 7 July 2010
Eleni - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Secret Garden [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
This is an excellent adaptation of Frances Hodgson Burnett's novel The Secret Garden (Wordsworth's Children's Classics) produced by Francis Ford Coppola, and directed by Agnieszka Holland. It tells the story of spoiled and grumpy little girl, Mary Lennox, who has to leave her home in India and move to England with her widower uncle, after her parents die. In England she finds comfort taking care of a 'secret' garden, once belonging to her mother's sister and deserted since her death. The garden comes back to life with the help of the village boy Dickon and her sickly and lonely cousin Colin, and as the garden blooms so do the children and the friendship formed between them.

A good novels greatest trait is that it allows the reader to imagine the places and the people described, and that is precisely what makes it difficult to adapt it as a film. The greatest thing about this film, for me, is that it was exactly as I pictured the book when I first read it. Holland has captured Burnett's atmosphere and vivid descriptions and the children are perfectly depicted by the very good young actors.

This is a lovely film for children and adults alike, and it can be beautifully paired with another excellent adaptation of a Frances Hodgson Burnett novel, A Little Princess [DVD] [1996].

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully made and full of charm..., 19 Jan. 2006
Iceni Peasant (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Garden [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
I enjoyed this film from start to finish. The atmosphere of the whole movie is enchanting. With wonderful sets and costumes, and good acting from all the children, in particular from the actor playing Rickon.
Maggie Smith is the true gem of the whole piece, as the strict but ultimately caring housekeeper Metlock.
The secret garden itself is beautiful, as you see it through the seasons, and the gradual progress of Colin as he gets stronger and stronger. It's often funny when you see Mary telling off Colin and showing him what life really is. The sets are stunning throughout, with breathtaking moorland scenery a lovely dark foreboding rooms in the house.
As the movie reaches its end you'll find it very hard to stop a tear or two. Just a beautiful movie that all the family will enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 10 Aug. 2008
K. Walker "kimpsky" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Garden [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
I never got to the cinema much as a child and could count on one hand how many times I went, but I do remember out of all of them, The Secret Garden moved me the most. As an adult, I rarely watch TV or films and have a low boredom threshold, but I can watch this film over and over and cry every time. Mary Lennox is played superbly by Polly Maberly and the film is one of those rare gems that is truly as good as the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting tale, 24 May 2008
Kona (Emerald City) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Secret Garden [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
When an earthquake in India leaves her an orphan, Mary Lennox is sent to live at her uncle's remote estate in England. The spoiled, bratty Mary is quite miserable with no one to talk to or play with and a stern housekeeper (Maggie Smith) hovering over her. When Mary begins exploring the manor, she discovers not only a secret garden but also a secret cousin!

This is a beautifully-filmed children's story about the power of friendship and overcoming adversity. I wasn't familiar with the 1911 book (although I want to read it now), and I expected something awful to happen to the garden or the children, but only good things happen, so it's ideal for kids of all ages.

The Yorkshire location is lovely and the acting is uniformly wonderful. The joys of bringing an old garden to life and befriending a shut-in child are the simple, yet profound pleasures of this story. Highly recommended for those who like sweet, sentimental stories.

The Secret Garden [DVD] [1993]
The Secret Garden [DVD] [1993] by Agnieszka Holland (DVD - 1999)