4.0 out of 5 stars Good family viewing

3.0 out of 5 stars It made me cry, a lovely film, but changed the book too much
Published on 12 Mar 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Good family viewing, 10 Aug 2000
Jonathan Bryce (Waitakere NZ) - See all my reviews
Shame to see a good movie unreviewed. I've watched this with my daughter (5) twice now, and we both enjoy it. The film has a child's requirements (child's point of view, wicked adult, use of imagination, etc) and from an adult viewpoint, I enjoy some of the side issues; such as, the relationship between the girls life in India and her experiences in school, or how a story of an indian prince that she relates is juxtaposed with her father's experiences in the trenches.
Some scenes border on magical, all is well-photographed. The story is a trifle over-sentimental, but that's Burnett for you. It's also a little over-dramatized - but that's Hollywood for you ...
All in all, a refreshing change from Disney's childhood.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful childrens' film., 11 Jun 2003
kathryn "Kate" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Some of the criticisms that have been made of this film in other reviews are that it is mushy and sentimental. I can hardly disagree with that - only say that I don't think it is TOO sentimental. The other criticism is that the plot is changed, and once again, while I can't deny this, I want to defend it.
On the change of setting: I'm British, and do occasionally get irritated with Americanisation, but in this film the changed setting really didn't annoy me (partly, I suppose, because I knew from experience what a dog's dinner American productions make of English settings). The plot was changed, and it can be seen as a sanitising - the ending is happier in the film than in the book. Ordinarily this would have irritated me, but I found the ending handled so well that I didn't care. It may verge on the sentimental, but the moment when Sarah and her father are reunited is genuinely moving.
Other things have clearly changed since the original in line with changing times. The Indian characters are looked at completely differently; Becky, the serving-girl, is black. These things do not interfere - in fact, I really liked the Indian themes throughout the film.
I also preferred Sarah's relationship with Becky in the film. While in the book the author insists the girls are on the same level, and as good as each other, that doesn't seem half so true as in the film.
The film is well structured and paced, nicely shot and has satisfying dialogue and human characters (Sarah's saintliness and Miss. Minchin's wickedness are toned down a bit) I think the thing that sets this film apart from me is the beautifully handled juxtaposition of the exotic and the dreary - the sumptuous Indian colours of Sarah's former life among the New York streets.

3.0 out of 5 stars It made me cry, a lovely film, but changed the book too much, 12 Mar 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: A Little Princess [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
This sentimental film succeeded in making me cry, a rare feat! I thought it was lovely, but the actress playing Sara Crewe did get quite annoying after a while. Eleanor Bron was fantastic as the horrible Miss Minchin though! One thing that really irritated me was that they had changed the book's original story, which I adored reading as a child. The school was moved from London to New York! I hate the way Hollywood wants to Americanise everything. Also the bit about her father and her fortune, although the scene where Sara and Captain Crewe are reunited was heart-rending, I do think they should have stuck to the original story. And how could they leave out Anne? She's the best bit!! If you haven't read the book, then READ IT!!! Although I liked this film, the original book is way better!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic video-the best I've ever seen!, 21 Jan 2002
This is a really good video. It is the story of Sara Crewe. When her father gets sent to go to war, Sara has to go to Miss Minchin's acadamey. She finds sopme friends-Becky, the black servant, Lottie, the little madam and some enemies-LaVinia.
By Anna Wrigley-Howe, Age 9

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely story for the whole family, 21 Aug 2004
I love this film! It is such a sweet story about young Sara Crewe (Liesel Matthews- Air Force One) who has been forced to move from exotic India to New York because her father has been called to the military sevice.
She has to go to a strict boarding school and meets lots of new people: Lavinia (the school bully), Miss Minchin (the evil headmistress), Becky (a little coloured girl who is Miss Minchin's slave) and many more.
This film makes you laugh and cry with the brilliant acting of the talented Liesel Matthews.
This is a film the whole family can enjoy time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Family Film, 1 Oct 2004
This review is from: A Little Princess [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
This was my favourite film for a long time when i was little, so much that my mum had to buy another copy as the first was ruined. Now grown up, it still means as much to me as it did then. It doesnt exactly follow the stroyline of the book, but it is a masterpiece within itself,that you can watch again and again. As you follow the life of Sara Crew there are moments of tears, followed by moments of laughter, as she stands up to the evil school mistress Miss Minchen. Definatley a must for any ime of the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tissue Boxes At The Ready, 15 Nov 2005
Adam (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Little Princess [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
This film is truly wonderful. I was just mesmerised by the drama and story and it really does touch your heart. It sticks fairly close to the book about a young girl who has to go to a posh boarding school when her father is sent to war. If there is anything you need in this movie you have to forget about chocolates or drink. All you need is a huge box of tissues. It's really sad. Really well done and deserves to remain a family classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutly enchanting !!! ****, 3 May 2007
This review is from: A Little Princess [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
A gorgeous retelling of this classic story. Sara Crew is played wonderfully in this heartbreaking story of tragedy and human spirit. A story that leaves you mesmerised and inspired. I first saw this when i was maybe 13 or 14 and ive just found it and watched it again at 22 and still found it wonderfull so it appeals to all ages. deffinatly worth the watch. You cant hate it unless maybe...your a bloke....but even then, some blokes i know may shed a sneaky tear at this.

Get your kleenex ready !!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT, 3 Jun 2006
This review is from: A Little Princess [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
This is one of my all time favorite movies. Great story, great acting, great ending. I have also read the book and i think I'll take this heart-wrenching greatly orchestrated ending over the oh yeah your fortunes doubled no go feed poor kids ending of the book. I loved Sara and she was cute, not annoying. One thing that I thought was great about this version was that in a movie about people who came from India they actually have a man from India in it. I also think that making Becky black seemed wierd because of the way she was depicted in the novel, at first, but helped to make the movie better the the novel ever was. Loved it Loved it Loved it! Great movie for kids (especially girls although male children seem to like it too) and for adults and you will probably cry, well unless you are cold hearted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Princess DVD, 28 Oct 2010
This review is from: A Little Princess [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
My daughter recieved this for her birthday and loved every minute of it. lovely, classic childrens tale.

A Little Princess [DVD] [1995]
A Little Princess [DVD] [1995] by Alfonso Cuarón (DVD - 1999)