5.0 out of 5 stars The best live concert of instrumental music i have heard
Published on 17 April 2000 by ab32biznes@aol.com

2.0 out of 5 stars 5* for the music, 1* for the video production
The idea of a music video is to be able to enjoy watching musicians perform while listening to the music. You can do each of these things, providing you don't do it together. The editing is so poor that over 50% of it is out of sync which, for what could have been a great production, is appalling. I am surprised it has not been re-edited as it is worse than most amateur...
Published 14 months ago by Henrydogsnores

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best live concert of instrumental music i have heard, 17 April 2000
This review is from: Tubular Bells II & III [DVD] [2001] [2000] (DVD)
Having recently purchased tubular bells 1, I noticed the cover of tubular bells 2/3 in a video store, I had seen one small clip on television years ago that has stuck in mind ever since, and when it said live at Edinburgh Castle i knew the clip was off this DVD. I brought it home and played it through the speakers of my newly purchased Home cinema system,And sat down to watch it with my Girlfriend who did not know anything about Mike Oldfield except the single Moonlight Shadow. We started off with Tubular Bells 2, Tubular bells 3 being on the flipside of the disc.The whole setting for the concert is superb and the sound of the Instruments is crystal clear and every instrument is clearly picked out through the speakers as if you were playing a CD from a stereo but better.The Music is fantastic , far better than Tubular bells 1 on CD which does not have the same energy as the Live performance. The music is split into 14 segments which can be picked out individually to find your favourite parts with ease, but the whole DVD should be played from Start to finish in one sitting so the genious of Mike Oldfield as he brings in a number of different instruments and changes direction from Lead Guitar,accoustic guitar,banjo,piano,and bagpipes with ease can be seen.This is probably my favourite DVD at the moment, and has made me check out Mike Oldfield a lot more, I have since purchased 9 CDs by Mike Oldfield. My girlfriend Loves Tubular Bells 2 also and has shown it to everyone that comes to the House,song no:14 titled Tatto is one of the most Emotional pieces of music i have ever heard, and when you listen to it, it is hard to keep a straight face,and judging by the expression on the faces of friends who call round it seems to be the general concensus that this is fantastic value for money. Tubular bells 3 is more 90s dance music with rock mixed in , it does not have the same feel to it as Tubular bells 2 but is good to listen to, However I doubt if Tubular bells 2 will ever be bettered as an instrumental piece by Mike Oldfield or anyone else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Two Bells For The Price Of The 5.1, 15 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Tubular Bells II & III [DVD] [2001] [2000] (DVD)
I bought TB2 Live on video when it came out, and the sound quality in HiFi Stereo was very good, and the live version is a lot better than the original studio version, which for some reason, sound dull in parts. Upon seeing the release onto DVD along with TB3 thrown in, I thought what a bargain. Because both of these concerts could of been released on 2 seperate DVD's and generated a lot more money from the fans. And I was even more impressed when I picked up the DVD in HMV and read that the recording was in Dolby Digital 5.1. I rushed home stuck it on, expecting something fantastic. But I soon learned the 5.1 soundtrack was as extinct as the dodo bird. The only bit of 5.1 throughout the entire 2 concerts, is right at the end of TB3, well at least it comes out the back speakers then. I was very dissapointed. The engineers responsable for this DVD should be taken outside and shot, for this reason alone. To me this is false advertising, and personally, I think this DVD should be remasatered with a 5.1 track if at all possable. However the sound quality is good, but no better than the original video, it's just stereo. The picture quality is very good, hence the 4 stars I have rated it. Had it been done properly in the first place it would have got 5.1 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mikes Best!!, 18 Jan. 2003
Michael Bermingham "mjbermingham" (Birr,County Offaly,Ireland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tubular Bells II & III [DVD] [2001] [2000] (DVD)
I recently bought 'Mike Oldfield-The Millennium Bell' and was sadly, not impressed.This, however, is the business in every way.TB2 is easily Oldfield's best concert, with the magical backdrop of Edinburgh Castle and Scottish bagpiping at it's best.TB2 is so closely related to Mike's original and breakthrough album TB that it's simply magical.The musicians really seem to be enjoying themselves on every track and even after the intervening years this concert simply hasn't dated at all.Everybody will have their own favourite tracks but I love 'Clear Light' and 'Tatoo'.
The second concert on this DVD is also quite enjoyable, recorded in London, at Horseguards and a different experience to Edinburgh, it's still very catchy and absorbing in it's own right.Although called TB3 it bears little resemblance to the original TB and is quite unique in it's own right.'Secrets' and 'Far above the cloud's' are both stand out tracks and both are reprised in the concert.
As I bought my first 'Oldfield' album in the early seventies and have bought almost everything in the intervening years:-here is my synopsis:-
Best Concert:-TB 2
Second:-TB 3
Third:-The Millennium Bell.

And as TB2 &TB3 are on this DVD it's hard to go wrong.This DVD is strongly recommended and if you are even a 'lukewarm' fan of Oldfield you can's go wrong.Buy and enjoy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars In my opinion the best Mike Oldfield DVD available, 7 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Tubular Bells II & III [DVD] [2001] [2000] (DVD)
I must say that even if I had owned this DVD for more than half a decade I never watched the "Tubular Bells II - Live at Edinburgh Castle" concert yet. I never listened the album either, but the still taken during the concert and the reviews I've read make me believe I missed something during all these years. This DVD is double-sided, on the first side there's the "Tubular Bells 2" concert and on the other the 1998 "Tubular Bells 3 - Live at the Horse Guard Parade" in London concert, recorded at the time of the album's release. The music album TB3 in itself is also excellent and among Mike Oldfield's best ones, it feature the excellent "Man in the Rain" among other great songs. That particular song was reportedly intended to be sung by Maggie Reilly but for some reasons she couldn't do it. The concert have been filmed under a roofed stage during heavy raining, so it kind of add an appropriate melancholic touch to the show. They also made sure that Richard Branson, who was attending the concert, is seen many times to show that their years and years of feuding were now over. I said that I never watched the "Tubular Bells 2" concert because this DVD is only available in a PAL Region 2 video format, viewing it outside of europe or the UK can be quite tricky so I never made the effort. Today my disc seem damaged because one side don't work in my laptop's DVD drive, so I still can't watch it. Overall I highly recommend this DVD, the concert's scenery and ambiance are excellent, and the music is played with the same arrangments as on the record and not mangled as it's often the case for live concerts. Someone can get two excellent concerts for a very reasonable price, the only drawback is that the DVD is available only for European customers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, electrifying, gloriously emotive music!!, 9 Sept. 2009
Ms. M. O. Broad (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tubular Bells II & III [DVD] [2001] [2000] (DVD)
I love Mike Oldfield so very much; he is a composer and musician who brought composing into the 20th/21st century, and his originality and passion are things rarely seen. This DVD will fulfill all of Oldfield fans and their aspirations. Yes, it would have been even better to see these concerts live but for those who couldn't afford it-and believe me there are many of us-this DVD is an exhilirating alternative.

It offers some things that the live performance couldn't offer, such as the wonderful close up, on-stage footage of Mike performing and the close up footage of the other musicians-all of whom are obviously masters of their art. This is wonderful and inspiring to watch for both musicians and non-musicians alike.

I watched both the concerts in the course of a single night-at the end of that, I was left totally breathless! This DVD brought me an experience that reminds me just how wonderful music is-by all means purchase the CD, but this is how music should be listened to. This is how music should be experienced! Buy it, you will see what I mean!

5.0 out of 5 stars The music first, 17 Sept. 2001
This review is from: Tubular Bells II & III [DVD] [2001] [2000] (DVD)
No special effects, no tricks, no fireworks (well, actually...). Just the music, excellent music, fantastic perfomance, very good video direction. Enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even Richard Branson gets cold & wet !, 14 July 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Tubular Bells II & III [DVD] [2001] [2000] (DVD)
Two sided DVD TBII on one side TBIII the other. I watched TBII and thought it a little starchy and stuffy though the music was as precise and perfect as Mike Oldfield fans have come to expect. TBIII I must have watched a hundred times. The setting on a cold rain soaked evening in St James Park with Big Ben and the city of London ethereally lit through a mist of rain and cloud is magic. Mike, as always, plays against a background of very accomplished musicians (none whom do I recognise) but these guys and girls obviously put their heart and soul into this performance. Played through simple stereo or surround 5.1 surround the sound recording is flawless. The music develops over about an hour from some interesting Foley-like & percussion effects into a stunning finale culminating the stroke of 10pm rung by Big Ben. I found the musical blend perfect - the vocals I thought great and the Asian girl's mystical-like accompanyment made me shiver. If there's music in heaven I hope this is it!
Picture wise this is good in very difficult OB circumstances but it is the character studies of the muso's and the atmosphere of London at night that makes it - Oh and you can play spot the identity in the crowd (Richard Branson of course and was that Jonathen King hiding under a waterproof!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I was there, 21 Feb. 2010
G. W. Minnis "Gazzoid" (Belfast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tubular Bells II & III [DVD] [2001] [2000] (DVD)
Sat down with a bottle of wine and listened to this and it totally absorbed me to be honest, I consider myself a young 44 but with the lingering tastes mainly Dream, Floyd, early Genesis etc. but this was hypnotic due to sheer quality of the production, whereas some DVD's may sound and look like DVD's this is right up there in as near you can get to being there!
The raw capture of the instruments and the authenticity of the shoot makes the experience hugely enjoyable IMHO so I'm afraid but I have to agree with pracically everyone else on here and give 2&3 a massive thumbs up never mind nitpickin reviews....... some gigs work on DVD and some don't and this does, it really is the best seat in the house!
Deffo worth buyin as I already know after one viewing that it's a quality recording that I've probably yet to appreciate the best of and for pure entertainment value, hugely likeable and a definite 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I Was There, 12 July 2000
This review is from: Tubular Bells II & III [DVD] [2001] [2000] (DVD)
I don't have this on DVD, moreso the two separate pieces on VHS - but both performances are excellent. Tubular Bells II is almost flawless, and John Gordon Sinclair's bit in "Altered State" adds a little humour to the performance. Instrumentally, TB3 was flawless too, but suffered in the vocal department. Pepsi Demacque sounded poor singing the Reilly-esque "Man in the Rain" (yet on 1999's "Then and Now" tour, she managed "Moonlight Shadow" almost perfectly) and the asian wails on "The Source of Secrets" sounded very uncomfortable in comparison to the CD.
Okay, Mike. What we want from you is a live video of RETROSPECTIVE material! And yes, that DOES mean last year's revamped excerpt from "Ommadawn" (loved it).

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 13 Dec. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Tubular Bells II & III [DVD] [2001] [2000] (DVD)
The sound quality on both sides of this DVD is
really fantastic,coupled with good concert footage.In both cases Oldfield and his musicians put together two great concerts.Oldfields music is in a class all of its own.Highly recommend this even if your not a die hard Oldfield fan.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Tubular Bells II & III [DVD] [2001] [2000]
Tubular Bells II & III [DVD] [2001] [2000] by Mike Oldfield (DVD - 2001)