Format: DVD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 August 2011
It's 2259 and the Earth is in mortal danger from pure evil. The only hope Earth has is something called the fifth element, which comes in the form of the newly cloned Leeloo. Along with an ex forces cab driver and a priest called Cornellius, Leeloo must piece it together before the end of mankind arrives.

Depending on which side of the fence you sit on, The Fifth Element is either a child fantasy made by an adult, or an adult fantasy made by a child! Here in lays the problem that many critics and movie watchers can't agree on. Just what does Luc Besson's film want to be? Having conceived the concept for his film at a very easily age, Besson I think waited until he was comfortable with his adult eyes, and armed with the technological advancements in the late 90s, to realise his vision. With the result being a beautiful piece of science fiction that is, yes- cartoonish in every other frame.

Crucial tho is that Besson's futuristic vision of New York dominates proceedings, not even a villain overdrive from Gary Oldman can detract from the colourful vistas that Besson has crafted. The sea has dropped and New York is awash with flying cars, there are no take away's anymore, the Chinese junks fly to your front door to serve you food, how cool is that? Shape shifting aliens are amongst us, who in the context of this Jean-Paul Gautier clothed universe, blend in effortlessly, and opera divas are strangely beautiful and blue creatures. In short, the film is an art direction treat, a feast for the eyes, even as the comedy and action take control in the final third.

Bruce Willis quickly leaves behind his successful trip to harder edged roles {Twelve Monkeys}, to play super cabbie Korben Dallas. Gun toting and with a quip at every turn, this is the Willis that the MTV generation loves and adores. Oldman, for better or worse as Zorg, gives a memorable performance {oh my, is that a Southern American accent?}, but it's with Mila Jovovich {Leeloo} that the film gets its acting spurs. A pure revelation, it begs the question on why Jovovich has failed to progress in the acting world? {stop doing tripe like Resident "will work for food" Evil films would be a good start}.

Sci-fi fans will obviously get the point that the support cast features Ian Holm {Alien} and Brion James {Blade Runner}, which off sets the annoying and painful turn from Chris Tucker as zany, insecure DJ Ruby Rhod {is Besson having a pop at world DJs here I wonder?}. To leave us with what? A film that mildly suffers from its director giving way to his heart over his head, but hey baby, it's one groovy and enjoyable romp from start to finish regardless. 8/10
on 4 February 2004
I worked at a cinema when this film was released. In between work I would sneak into the auditorium to catch snippets. It was an eagerly awaited blockbuster after all. But on each occasion I was repelled by what I saw: futuristic cars that looked like something you'd see at a fair; bright red hair; orange vests; Gary Oldman made to look ridiculous; low-budget-looking monsters. It all seemed wrong.
When the film came out on video I watched it one evening and was engrossed. It worked. Today I own the DVD and I can confidently say that this is one of my top 5 films of all time. I love it. It brings together elements of other well known sci-fi films but goes beyond with a positivity so fresh I can't imagine it ever dating or ceasing to please.
There is a curious mixture about this film of intense effort (it was a long time coming for Luc Besson before the likes of Leon, and after a couple of viewings it is apparent to be a clever and intricate conception) and an almost throwaway modern kitsch (for example the Jean-Paul Gaultier design that I now consider inextricable from the film's attraction) The overall effect of the film is that it not only works but sparkles. It all makes sense and yet makes you giddy. It's like sherbert on the tongue but it still leaves a pleasant after-taste.
Bruce Willis is a true hero, Gary Oldman a true villain, and Milla the most perfect and lovable girl I think I have ever seen on screen. It is not designed to scare or shock, it is not crammed with nerdy effects to wow the computer kids, it is human, funny, emotional and spectacular.
11 comment|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 January 2006
Bruce Willis stars as Korben Dallas, a retired army major now working as a taxi driver. One day a beautiful young woman drops (literally) into the back of his cab and there starts the adventure. Milla Jovovitch is Leeloo, the girl who ‘dropped in’ on him and who is on the run from the authorities. Her destiny is to save the world from an ancient evil that has reared its head and she needs the help of a reluctant Korben.
Also appearing are Gary Oldman as crooked, evil boss Zorg, Ian Holm as Cornelius,a priest and Chris Tucker, the latter providing comic relief as larger-than-life Ruby Rhod, a manic and neurotic D.J. who ends up accompanying the heroes on their quest.
Luc Besson has created a visually stunning piece of work. The cinematography is vibrant and colourful and the costumes (designed by Jean Paul Gaultier) have to be seen to be believed; the special effects are of the quality you would expect and add to the whole experience. This is a fast paced movie that grabs you and doesn’t let go from start to finish, a real roller coaster ride of a movie that is well worth seeing. Turn up the volume and enjoy the ride.
22 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 February 2012
The Fifth Element [Blu-ray] [1997]

Going to leave a short-ish review, hopefully putting any fans of the movie at ease.

Wow for starters....I'm very impressed and very relieved. Let it be known I've done my fair share of research before purchasing this product. I've heard the rumours of the disappointing 1st Blu Ray release and the remastered the following year round 2006-07. I was very anxious hoping not to buy the faulty one or be disappointed in the so called "remastered". However I finally stumbled across some news and found out another Blu Ray version was re-re-released only last summer 2011. A sort of "re-remaster". Anyways after taking the plunge as i was 'desperate' to own this movie, i'm delighted. Apart from the obvious dated CGI SFX, the Blu Ray transfer is AMAZING, and could easily be disguised as a movie released yesterday in cinemas...obviously ignoring Bruce Willis has hair and such films as Avatar.

Overall Picture Quality 5/5 Sound Quality 4.5/5 Movie itself of course 5/5

Hope this review helps, don't be discouraged by some random negative reviews, 9x out of the 10 you will realise they are reviewing a different product or version yet in the same review table. I'm reviewing the apparent 6th June 2011 re-re-release of "The Fifth Element" on Blu Ray. It's BEAUTIFUL!
22 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 October 2001
Luc Besson's vision of the future is a non-stop extravaganza of gallic style, american weirdness, and cigarettes with the longest filters known to man!
Special effects are as you'd expect superb, action sequences are glued-to-your-seat enthralling and the plot, despite getting a little too sentimental towards the end is predictable but highly entertaining.
What sets this film apart from all other sci-fi movies is it's totally unique (and often bizarre) comic book appearence. Colors are brash and gaudy, clothes are skimpy, weird and typically Jean Paul Gaultier and every detail of everyday living has been played around with in an almost surreal manner.
A film that can be watched ad infinitum without ever becoming boring, a definite one to buy!!
Star wars, star Trek and their ilk all take themselves far too seriously, Fifth Element never lets you stop smiling, even when the bullets, flames, nuclear warheads, scrapnel and other assorted bombs are flying! The future has never looked so bright!
on 23 September 2005
People kept telling me to watch this film but for some reason I just didn't fancy it. Then someone bought it for me as a present (must have been Christmas because I don't have birthdays anymore....).
I'd avoided it because I'd enjoyed Besson's 'Leon' so much that I thought anything else would be a disappointment. What an idiot! I really enjoyed this film - it's pure entertainment from start to finish, and I find myself digging it out when I need a lift.
Bruce Willis is looking for his perfect woman in the film, and he finds her in Milla Jovavich. Well I'm with you there Mr Willis - I fall in love with her every time I watch the damn film. It's getting very boring........ Definitely 5*'s.
on 22 June 2011
The Region B-locked BD release of 6 June 2011 (B004KKX9AY) has better picture *and* audio quality than the remastered/improved 2007 Region A-locked Columbia/Tristar edition (UPC 043396215207), which itself replaced the initial (defective) 2006 release (at least here in the US)...
44 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 November 2003
For any fans of the movie this is an absolute requirement. The 2 discs are rammed full of extra's including programmes about the making of the movie at Pinewood studios, at the time it was the largest production ever in the UK, as well as the design and postproduction. The menu's are in full glorious surround too and are nothing short of spectacular! Don't miss this, throw out your old version (be it VHS or DVD) and add this to your collection!
on 21 May 2012
I recently got around to watching the Bluray of this movie and this version of the film both looks and sounds amazing.
The picture is clear, crisp and packed full of detail, colours are perfect for my eyes, the BD really brings the movie to life.

I've only had the vhs to compare it to and freeview when it's been aired and this bluray blows both of them away.
The sound track is expansive, clear, detailed and really puts you in the movie.

There is no way this movie is DVD quality, whilst I haven't watched the DVD of The Fifth Element no DVD picture can possibly look as good as this version of the film.
The picture does pop and looks three dimensional, there wasn't a single part of the movie that looked bad, it has that real quality of a good Bluray transfer of an old film (I have It's a Wonderful Life and Blade Runner, which were both amazing transfers of films recorded on analog mediums and they too look great dispite being older films), if you want to watch this movie in the best possible way then this is the source to do it from.

With the film itself I love it, it has a great story, is acted well, funny in all the right places, I love sci-fi so as a lover of many things sci-fi this is a great movie.

If you've seen the film, love it like me (or have yet to see it, but love quirky, action movies, maybe with a bit of futuristic sci-fi stuff) and don't have this Bluray in your collection then I highly recommend getting yourself a copy.
Excellent film, excellently produced in HD.
I keep coming back to this film years after I first bought it, I love it so much. What's to say?

The acting is OK, I suppose, (Bruce Willis, never the most accomplished thespian, is just cruising) but the characters are generally formulaic. There are a few stand-out performances - Ian Holm as the priest Cornelius, Chris Tucker as a fast talking TV show host and of course Gary Oldman as the fantastically camp baddie. The effects are pretty good for the era, although there are some gloriously wobbbly rubber suit aliens. The plot is pretty much non-existent, and what there is, is either totally baffling or silly beyond belief.

There are certain things for which you watch Luc Besson's films and there are certain things that you don't get with them. Style, action, thrills, more style, good looking women and a bit more style are all part of the deal whereas plot - or at least a complex and compelling story - are not. OK, so it may not hold true for everything he's done, but his "signature dishes", such as Leon, Transporter and, yes, The Fifth Element, are good-looing adventure romps with little in the way of a plot, beyond a means of facilitating enormous explosions, semi-apocalyptic gunfights, car chases and sexy women. As far as Besson is concerned, his main requirement is that the film should /look/ good. Thus we end up with a visual, visceral feast but little or no intellectual stimulation. Is that a bad thing? In my opinion, no, it is not. Sometimes what you want is a rollercoaster rather than a performance art instalation. Occasionally a big, sloppy cheesburger with greasy salty french-fries and a choccy milkshake beats the crap out of a quails egg on a tower of salad leaves and radiccio julienne.

Fifth Element is, then, like eating a cheeseburger and fries whilst negotiating the latest Alton Towers vomit comet - fantastic fun but by golly you'll feel pretty bad about it afterwards. I think the story is that Besson wrote this under the covers of his bed as a barely pubescent teenager and it shows. It's a glorious mish-mash of space-ships, hover car chases, space ship chases, sexy alien girls, goodies, baddies and a burly, macho leading man. There's even a ticking-time bomb... no, really!

Imagine your most elaborate teenage fantasy and then add a Hollywood budget, a few years of experience in scriptwriting and production (but don't over do it!) chuck in some post-Star Wars special effects and this is what you get! A teenage wet-dream made real.

Style it has. Bucketloads of the stuff. It'smeant to be sexy, stylish and, above all, fun and it succeeds admirably.

Oh yes. Milla Jovovich. Did I mention her? It's also got Milla Jovovich.

In a masking tape bikini. Speaking alien.

I think I need a cold shower

Dallas: What's your name?
Leeloo: Leeloo Minai Lekarariba-Laminai-Tchai Ekbat De Sebat.
Dallas: Good. That... that whole thing's your name, huh?